Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate and want to see more plus size models
I'm a woman and I would like to see more plus size models 57 36.77%
I'm a woman and I would like to see fewer plus size models 7 4.52%
I'm a woman and I don't care one way or another 27 17.42%
I'm a man and I would like to see more plus size models 30 19.35%
I'm a man and I would like to see fewer plus size models 21 13.55%
I'm a man and I don't care one way or another 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
If a person is in a store that sells plus sized clothes, the mannequins wearing the cloths should be that size, and not smaller.
And they rarely are. When I wore plus sizes exclusively, I wanted to see what I would look like in those clothes, not what someone who was a size 14 and 6 feet tall would look like (not that there's anything wrong with that ... ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I voted "don't care." Besides, plus size is subjective. Some companies call relatively small women plus size.
^

This.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Nay

Just as some women complain about the fashion industry glamorizing underweight women, the fashion industry should not glamorize overweight women.

Just because the average woman in America is overweight does not make it anymore healthy or attractive.

Also, most plus sized models are referred to as plus sized because they ARE larger than the average model. They're typically taller, broader and more heavy set. Taller is not better in the fashion industry, as most models are really only about 5'8 or 5'9. Being too tall is a disadvantage.

But at the same time, those women still do not represent the average woman in america. Ironically they're still much thinner, yet taller. The average american woman is a short, frumpy mess.

And high end designers certainly aren't going to go out of their way to cater to bigger people because their main market tends to consist of thin women. Keep in mind that aside from the US, Mexico and the UK, obesity is not the norm in other parts of the world.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 PM

260 posts, read 337,789 times
I would like to see women of all shapes and sizes represented because it's representative of our society. Very few women are structured like a model and so it's hard to tell how the clothes would actually fit a non-model. I am 5'6", 140 lbs, top heavy and a size 10 on top and a 6-8 on the bottom. I NEVER see anyone close to me as a model, I wouldn't say I'm plus size - I'm in the middle and also somewhat disproportionate. I have a hard time ordering tops on line because all the models are flat chested.

People in the fashion industry are not smart business people. They do not follow the trends of how women are sized. Is it ego or snobbery? They show fashions that very few can wear and the cheaper companies make a lot of mediocre clothes for the rest of us. Add to that - there is no consistent sizing for women the way there is for men. Makes no sense at all. It's like they couldn't make it more difficult for women to buy clothes. I guess I'll have to spend my money on more shoes.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Plus size models are no larger than a size twelve. While some may look larger, they are not.

My niece is a size six and does some plus size modeling. Because she isn't skinny enough at a size six and 5'11, she can only get hand, foot, or plus size jobs. Mostly Lane Bryant.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
Well I think the representation should be based on the statistical spread- how many women are underweight in society, as compared to runway models? I know the idea in the fashion industry is to promote the "fantasy" and glamorize the untouchable ideal, but shoot, someone's gotta buy the clothes! Instead of women trying to fit the styles (and often feeling ashamed of themselves in the process), why is it not the other way around?

I'm not plus-sized, but my shape is not typically represented. For that matter, maybe more models should be short. The average woman is 5'4" or something right? Why are short women not featured as models? Not to get off track. But yeah, I would prefer if fashion industry promoted stylish pieces that fit a variety of sizes and shapes, rather than a silly, unrealistic "ideal". Interesting question.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:00 PM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Plus size models are no larger than a size twelve. While some may look larger, they are not.

My niece is a size six and does some plus size modeling. Because she isn't skinny enough at a size six and 5'11, she can only get hand, foot, or plus size jobs. Mostly Lane Bryant.
Wow. Size six??? Vanity sizing has gone totally crazy, or maybe media/society/etc. has, because size six used to be the holy grail of sizes.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 PM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Well I think the representation should be based on the statistical spread- how many women are underweight in society, as compared to runway models? I know the idea in the fashion industry is to promote the "fantasy" and glamorize the untouchable ideal, but shoot, someone's gotta buy the clothes! Instead of women trying to fit the styles (and often feeling ashamed of themselves in the process), why is it not the other way around?

I'm not plus-sized, but my shape is not typically represented. For that matter, maybe more models should be short. The average woman is 5'4" or something right? Why are short women not featured as models? Not to get off track. But yeah, I would prefer if fashion industry promoted stylish pieces that fit a variety of sizes and shapes, rather than a silly, unrealistic "ideal". Interesting question.
"I would prefer if fashion industry promoted stylish pieces that fit a variety of sizes and shapes, rather than a silly, unrealistic "ideal". "
You would think that there would be a ton of money to be made by shooting for the Majority.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
A big yes! to all body sizes! They represent the full specturm or humanity.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't think that is a fair statement. You are perfectly welcome to your opinion and I am not challenging that, however from your statement you would seem to be saying that all it takes to be a plus sized model is just be 300lbs. I doubt many real plus sized models weigh that much. And conversely, just being skinny and 110lbs doesn't mean you can be a skinny or regular sized model or just model without any qualifiers.

And that's the problem, it should be model without any qualifiers.

Those women are very pretty and have figures that aren't necessarily found on the typical plus sized woman. Some of them are very tall, like "normal" models are. Also, being heavy doesn't guarantee a shapely butt and a large chest that many of them do have. There are a great many heavy women out there with boxy shapes, flat shapeless rumps and small chests that would love to have curves like that. And the agencies that pick plus sized ladies aren't looking for the typical box or apple shapes out there. But it seems that it doesn't matter to some people who dismiss any "plus sized" model as just being fat and not worthy of any one's adoration.

In short, being a (successful) model of any weight usually means that person has an extraordinary body and face that sets them apart from the rest of us. So, looking at ANY image of ANY model of a similar weight to ourselves can cause the body image problems people have because they set an ideal that is unattainable for most of us naturally.
I was using a random weight (300 lbs).

I do understand what youre saying but the thing is thatss why there are models for everything. You have one model with great skin, another that may have pretty eyes but not so great skin, another with a killer body but not so great hair, etc etc etc. Thats why so many ads are photoshopped and/or airbrushed.

To me, a model is there to sell the product. Not to be gawked at or anything else. Youre supposed to look at the product and think "hey this is what that will look like on me personally". Now obviously if the model is 5'5 110 and your 6'2 250 then that product (clothing) isnt going to look the same on you which is why youd want to find it on a plus sized model. I mean if you wanted to see what your 71 Charger would look like painted green you wouldnt look for pictures of a green 71 Corvette. Theres nothing wrong with either one of them but the "model" doesnt represent what it is youre wanting to see exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty