Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
In the U.S., a jumper is a dress with straps also. I believe in England, a jumper is a sweater.
Yes, the UK and Ireland use "jumper" for "sweater."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 01:01 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I am gonna switch to handbags... I don't like handbags with logos all over them.

I have always had an issue when people wear shorts and a coat but then I thought about it, and I wear jeans and a t shirt all the time.

Is there a difference?

The shorts and a jacket/long sleeves applies to my self as well.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Turn offs.....

Wearing clothes that reveal under garments=tacky

Low-rise pants that reveal butt crack or a thong

Skin tight, stretch clothing and a massive muffin top. NO.....you should NOT wear size 14 when you are large enough for an 18...dear God, no one....NO one, is buying that sh*t and they're feeling sorry for you and probably embarrassed for you.

Men in skinny jeans.....OMG. Lmao!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:07 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I live where it is very warm in the summer - beautifully maintained and manicured feet are pretty (to me) and there are some very nice flip-flops (not the cheap rubber ones) that are very comfortable. I have beautiful and expensive backless sandals that I wear with nice summer pant outfits - I would look ridiculous (and be miserable) wearing closed toe shoes.

People who live in hot humid weather do not wear hosiery or gloves - sorry. That doesn't mean that they are not well groomed or that they don't wear beautiful, appropriate clothing - when it is 95 and humid you wear lightweight cotton shifts, nice capris, long shorts with crisp short-sleeve blouses and sandals.

I agree; I said "there was once a time" when this was the norm -- even in humid, hot weather. People used to "dress up" to go to a ballgame or the cinema.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:15 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Men in skinny jeans.....OMG.
You definitely wouldnt have liked the 80s then.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I agree; I said "there was once a time" when this was the norm -- even in humid, hot weather. People used to "dress up" to go to a ballgame or the cinema.
I agree with your sentiments - I am saddened by the lack of formality/grooming at many of the wedding receptions I have lately attended - guests arriving in jeans, flip-flops, etc. I do remember wearing gloves and hats as a child - petticoats, etc.....always dressing up for holidays, church, to go out to dinner, etc. I remember my mother wearing beautiful full skirted dresses with nipped in waists, heels, hats, beautiful bags - the clothes in the 50's were sexy and feminine and mostly modest.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I have one BIG rule, which for some reason always drives my mother crazy (when we go shopping together). I absolutely hate to buy anything that requires "under-layers," like sheer tops where you have to add a camisole/tank underneath. Especially given how I'm built, with a very large natural bust, that just makes it all sorts of uncomfortable... not to mention, whenever I go to wear the few such items I have like this, the appropriate under-garment is either missing or dirty. Every. Darned. Time.

Also can't wear anything strapless, or with spaghetti straps, halter top, etc - again due to how I'm built, as I simply cannot go without a fully-supporting bra. Sometimes I wish I were more flat-chested, just so I could wear a cute little sundress or halter top while bra-less. Oh well, guess that's the fair trade-off!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
Those small, stupid, useless, ugly pockets on the breasts of womens tops. Designers, enough with the freakin' pockets already! Geez

Last edited by winterbird; 06-28-2014 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
seaming on jumpers and trousers with fuss like combat trousers that are so hard to iron..

Old 06-29-2014, 04:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
You definitely wouldnt have liked the 80s then.
Oh I loved the 80s, and those "rock band spandex"?...retarded. LOL I thought so even then. I'm not gonna lie, the 80s...much like most "eras", was not quite the same where I grew up...vs where YOU grew up. Men did not, and do not wear skinny pants unless they are prepared to be stared at. Most likely there will be comments such as "your sister's pants" heard.....a lot!

There are always those who dress, because they don't care what others think. A great many of them, end up being butt hurt and scarred for life.......because others don't think it looks good. Hmm weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty