Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times

Advertisements

I like the whole slob/pj's just got out of bed look, that seems to be growing in popularity

in maine
we have the stretch pant look of massive proportions , like jello,,it wiggles and jiggles,,,you learn thru the years to look away- not a full head on stare -

id rather see a friendly person in sweatpants, than an uptight person in expensive clothes

that's my fashion statement

another couple months ill be wearing hunter orange with doe urine on my boots,,, now that's a fashion statement !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 03:05 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
In a professional environment I am taken seriously if polished with the following:
1) an oxford shirt
2) black pants
3) black shoes
4) clean shaven
5) neatly combed hair
6) well scented

In bed, I am taken more seriously while wearing less .

Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't know about "being taken seriously," but when you are *properly* ( nicely - call it whatever,) dressed, you command an attention ( provided you can pull the look off.)
I don't find any particular difference between dress or pants - the main question is how it's all "put together."
I should never be wearing shorts then to command attention as its very hard to pull off a good look. I look like a fat slob in shorts, even though my BMI and BFP indicate I am in shape. Slim fit denim fits comfortably when its cooler and shows off my assets in a much better way. Why do you think I wear pants in all my selfies ?

Given its summer, I wear shorts for comfort and am very happy with the zero attention part for looking fat.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 08-19-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
"How seriously are you taken based on what you wear?"

Dressing to be 'taken seriously' is not part of my lifestyle. I mean, how seriously do I need to be taken while gardening, grocery shopping, and the like?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
I never expect to be taken seriously when I am wearing my reindeer ears.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"How seriously are you taken based on what you wear?"

Dressing to be 'taken seriously' is not part of my lifestyle. I mean, how seriously do I need to be taken while gardening, grocery shopping, and the like?
There's always a post like this one. Why can't people have a discussion without needing to declare they "don't care" (while somehow caring enough to post)?

I don't care if posters necessarily expect or want to be taken seriously or not. I merely looking for their observations on how others perceive them, based on their appearance/attire. Whether they care or not is another story.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
I didn't say I don't care.
I said it is not part of my lifestyle.
There IS a difference, but I guess it's too subtle for you.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:29 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post

I've gone to another Starbucks wearing pants on various occasions, and they've forgotten my order on at least three separate occasions (not even on a regular basis—I visit months at a time). I'm not a sloppy dresser, but perhaps I'll amp up my style a bit and wear dresses instead of jeans at that location. Maybe I'll get a better response. ?
Are you trying to say that you think they forgot your order at Starbucks on three separate occasions because you weren't stylish enough? Is that really what you are saying? Because of your style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Men: do you give special attention to women in dresses/skirts?
No. I don't give special attention to anyone based on their clothes. The only exception is when I see see older men wearing their hats/caps/shirts etc. showing their experience/service in WWII, or if I see they are active duty military personel. I almost always buy their drink/food. I give special attention based on how they LOOK. Like elderly people, people who are obviously special needs, and of course hot chicks. Its never about what they wear, its about them.

As far as the question you asked in your thread title: "How seriously are you taken based on what you wear?", I really don't know and really don't care. My intelligence, charm, good looks, sense of personal space and energy usually makes people take notice. If someone has issue with the clothes I wear, well then I have no time for them because I am better than they are because I don't judge based on clothing.

But seriously, you believe they forgot your drinks at Starbucks because you were wearing pants or because of your style?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I don't know what it means when people say "taken seriously" based upon how a oerson is dressed. That whole concept is odd to me. In talking with a person, I tend to take them seriously by how intelligent their part of the conversation is or how logical they seem. I can't think of one instance where I have deemed a person as not being serious enough based on what they were wearing.
Some people can be very arrogant and dismissive, even when someone's dressed appropriately. They can make a snap judgment, and write you off, not even giving you a chance to speak and demonstrate your command of whatever the topic or field is.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,849,231 times
I wear skirts and dresses every day and im not taken anymore serious than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty