Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you ever thought about getting some voice coaching? I have considered it, in order to get a deeper, take-me-seriously voice.
My voice is common enough that I think people don't have an issue generally speaking. On the phone people are typically like "you have a great voice." They suggest I do voice overs.

And then they get confused because they were expecting a blond sorority girl or similar.

Last edited by jade408; 08-20-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My voice is common enough that I think people don't have an issue generally speakin. On the phone people are typically like "you have a great voice." They suggest I do voice overs.

And then they get confused because they were expecting a blond sorority girl or similar.
It happens.

One of my all time favorite students (I keep hoping he and my daughter will get married) has a very deep, "Luther Vandross" kind of voice. When people would talk to him and then meet him, they were always shocked what a short (at that time), skinny, little surfer dude he was.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I absolutely believe a person is taken more seriously when they are well-dressed. The expression "Good clothes open all doors" is attributed to Englishman Thomas Fuller and dates back to the early 1600s, so this is not a new idea.

I don't think dressing well has to be excessively expensive and one needn't be a slave to fashion. But paying attention to looking clean and put together, with some thought to attractive but not overdone accessories, is appreciate by people who see you and can only be an asset to anything you set out to do that day.

As Joe Jackson sang, "Look Sharp!"

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not that you asked but as I live in your state and I am familiar with the engineering world AND your insistence on layering perfume on, I think it cannot be overstated enough that in a professional setting people should not be able to smell you accept very faintly and only when RIGHT next to you.
FYI, I no longer live in NJ. And I don't use all that much perfume, just a little spritz of cologne at my chest. I too worked in a research environment this summer, and was treated just like the others. Nobody made me feel different because of using perfume. There are occasional times though outside of work when I like to have fun with perfume and spray a bit extra.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 08-20-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
In a professional environment I am taken seriously if polished with the following:
1) an oxford shirt
2) black pants
3) black shoes
4) clean shaven
5) neatly combed hair
6) well scented

In bed, I am taken more seriously while wearing less .
Not your skills? Position? Job title?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Not your skills? Position? Job title?
That counts as well. Want my resume, I can give it to you.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I am taken very seriously and I live in jeans. I never leave the house a slob.

The masses up here are all yoga pant pajama wearing tattooed trash, so it's easy to rise above.

So is it the yoga pants the pajamas or the tattoo that makes them trash?
I'm surprised you can see any of them from the top.

Clothes do not make the human no matter what anyone wants to believe.
You can be taken seriously wearing a barrel if you present yourself as such.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
OP, that dress is so cute!
Thanks. I've only started getting into wearing casual dresses the past couple years. I don't get to wear them often, as my area is typically low-key, but I wanted a break from jeans.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So is it the yoga pants the pajamas or the tattoo that makes them trash?
I'm surprised you can see any of them from the top.

Clothes do not make the human no matter what anyone wants to believe.
You can be taken seriously wearing a barrel if you present yourself as such.
There is a point to what you say. But attiring according to occasion is important. You can't expect me to be taken seriously in a Muscle tee and Pajama shorts outside my house.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM

732 posts, read 969,204 times
Back when I was into wearing preppy clothes, I'd have snobby strangers & people I met through friends talk to me then avoid me when they found out I wasn't attending college, was taking a community college course, unemployed or working menial labor jobs. Snobby people also tended to judge what I & others wore if it didn't appeal to them.

My discomfort around snobs and the disgust & hatred I felt toward them for judging people over petty differences caused me to decide to prefer looking disheveled. The way I appear immediately filters them out so I don't have to find out later.

I gravitate to very casual people & disheveled people because they make me feel more comfortable and tend to not judge me for something as petty as appearance.

The downsides to the way I dress & wear my hair are a lot of my new rich neighbors act paranoid when they see me walking by and give me looks like I don't belong in the neighborhood. Sometimes when I'm in other districts people think I'm homeless, sometimes drug addicts want to know if I want to use drugs with them, and people have offered drugs and/or money for sex apparently thinking I need money & drugs. :/ Oh well... I still prefer to deal with them than the snobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty