Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Also, keep in mind that a woman's idea of an attractive man changes with income or occupation. Mythbusters ran an experiment in which a group of women rated a mans attractiveness. They had 3 different groups of women that we all shown the same pictures. The difference was the occupation of the man changed in each of the 3 groups. When the same man who was average or okay looking was a contractor he was attractive, but when he was a neurosurgeon he was incredibly attractive. Same man, very attractive. Occupation: line cook. he was okay. Next group comes in his occupation is changed to Venture capitalist... and all of a sudden he was Brad Pitt or whatever amazing looking star tickles your man crush bone. Hugh Jackman, Gerard Butler..whatever.

The survey showed that woman rate attractiveness of a man different than a man rates an attractiveness of a woman. And that even if you are amazing looking but a line cook. You are less attractive than the average or not all that attractive man who is a neurosugeon or venture capitalist.

When they did the same thing with men.. Some of the guys said "Occupation? Barista?...Who cares.. she's hot." When the results were tallied the men in each group rated the same picture roughly the same. Showing men rating attractiveness is almost purely visual while women rate attractiveness on looks and ability to provide.
I've seen this exact same study, but it wasn't Mythbusters. They did it, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:58 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Are beautiful people less intelligent? Discuss
Looks have no bearing on if a person is intelligent or not. You CAN however identify those who are less intelligent by their starting threads and not participating in the discussion. These are the types who like to think of themselves as being smart, because in their minds, they think "I am going to initiate a discussion on a certain subject" then they think "oh, Im so clever because I got people to thinking about something". But in reality, their failure to participate in ANY of the discussion topics they come up with, gives one an indication that they are less than intelligent. There is 99.9999% accuracy in this.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
They only appear that way to people who have less beauty and need to compare themselves to them.
It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Seriously, does it really matter ?
If it does, just don't do any type of business with them.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
this question is a joke

Old 01-26-2015, 02:44 PM

483 posts, read 670,216 times
Beautiful people are actually more intelligent on the whole

Old 01-26-2015, 02:50 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
I generally think so, since most of the time I see beauty and the beast combination.( including myself and my pretty wife)

Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I can't find the poll thingy

Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'd say it's the other way around. Beautiful people are quite often more intelligent.
They're often perceived as more intelligent, anyway. There's probably a similar bell curve for intelligence in attractive people as for average and below-average-looking people.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I would say yes as a general rule, among the general populous that more attractive people are not as intelligent.

Among the highly educated/highly skilled I would say no.

But intelligence and beauty are subjective. Also, it depends on the industry.

For instance, out of my friends I have several obese friends who may be attractive if they lost weight or maybe not, I don't really know, like I said it's subjective. Anyway, the majority of my obese to average friends are super high earners that have either incredible education credentials or rare in demand skills.

The majority of people I know who are without a doubt attractive, are low to 100k earners, most of the beautiful people I know are lower income but comfortable.

Also, keep in mind that a woman's idea of an attractive man changes with income or occupation. Mythbusters ran an experiment in which a group of women rated a mans attractiveness. They had 3 different groups of women that we all shown the same pictures. The difference was the occupation of the man changed in each of the 3 groups. When the same man who was average or okay looking was a contractor he was attractive, but when he was a neurosurgeon he was incredibly attractive. Same man, very attractive. Occupation: line cook. he was okay. Next group comes in his occupation is changed to Venture capitalist... and all of a sudden he was Brad Pitt or whatever amazing looking star tickles your man crush bone. Hugh Jackman, Gerard Butler..whatever.

The survey showed that woman rate attractiveness of a man different than a man rates an attractiveness of a woman. And that even if you are amazing looking but a line cook. You are less attractive than the average or not all that attractive man who is a neurosugeon or venture capitalist.

When they did the same thing with men.. Some of the guys said "Occupation? Barista?...Who cares.. she's hot." When the results were tallied the men in each group rated the same picture roughly the same. Showing men rating attractiveness is almost purely visual while women rate attractiveness on looks and ability to provide.

It can be inferred from an occupation what a persons level of intelligence is. It was discovered intelligent and smarts in a woman were actually a slight turn-off for men.
Sounds like Mythbusters was looking for a certain result. Notice that they didn't do a study rating how women's perception of male attractiveness changed when the neurosurgeon turned out to be an arrogant jerk with a tendency toward verbal abuse. And how perceptions of the contractor or line cook changed when it turned out they were very thoughtful, funny, kind and intelligent.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Women who are more beautiful are sometimes *perceived* as less intelligent, and beautiful women sometimes *act* less intelligent because they know that this is what their audience wants. In reality, they are probably more intelligent than other women, but since they don't use it to become smart, they continue to be perceived as vapid silly and shallow. Really, women who use their bodies and not their brains get on my nerves. Just looking like a Playboy bunny isn't going to get you a real job, honey! Your favorite celebrity may act as dumb as a rock, but it's just an act. They are scholars in disguise. They have to have exceptional memories and knowledge of a broad range of topics in order to play those parts and come off looking authentic. If you think you can get away with being beautiful alone, you are living in a fantasy world.

In fact, I wish beauty wasn't really part of the equation when women candidates are considered. It's really almost a form of discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty