Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
This is typical. Men have not had the same level of perfectionism projected upon them for life, as females have. Of course you would not feel the same seeing some "isolated perfect-male depiction", because you know it is unrealistic..unlike women having had their insecurities played upon for years. Even if women are attractive, they eventually can become insecure, especially with aging. Young girls get boob jobs, toddlers are made up to look like women in pageants.. it goes on. I think that men do not see it because it does not directly affect them. (I do not know how more to express this, but as you can see, this is a predominant reaction amongst females and would not discuss it or have had documentaries regarding, if it did not exist).
who buys and perpetuates all the sick -thin looking model magazines???

it isn't men...next time you are at a check out in the grocery store,,,or at the salon,,,look at the woman on the front page,,,again,,it isn't men buying this

whatever happened to "I am woman hear me roar"

don't look at men,,
50 yrs ago, you ladies were expected to be homemakers and breeders,,,,and depend on men
40 yrs ago more and more and more going to college which is a great thing,,,,30, 20, yrs ago,,,,young ladies are going to college as much if not more than young men,,,,and as independent as ever,,,,which is great..

this is the age of female empowerment

so...it isn't the men,,pushing their daughters to go into pageants....
its mostly always the mother ..

it isn't men/fathers pushing their daughters to be miss teen pageants,,,its the mothers

most men don't give a rats ass about the fashion industry....and most men I know do not like the sick thin looking woman as models,,,,,they look like greyhound dogs

so all these women on magazines that are setting unrealistic
standards are not set by men

most men I know like some meat on the bones for women they know,,,

and one thing that drives me nuts because men get blamed is this..
from the earliest ages ...lets take twins,,,a boy and a girl..
the girl will get " omg what a little princess" from age 2, 3, 4, 5,
this is from other older women...
"isn't she cute, isn't she adorable" " I love those colors, I love that outfit"
you hear this from older women...
that's all about looks and clothes,,

with the little boy- twin brother,,,you do hear more questions,,,,what are your favorite things to do??
and yes, we do praise...what a big boy,,,but boys don't get hung up on it ..

before you point the finger at men....look at the big picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:43 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
My take on the Carl's Jr.s ads is that they are meant to be taken tongue and cheek. The commercials are so over the top that they're basically comedy.

The next commercial they come out with will probably have a sexy girl seductively licking a hotdog.
Oh, they have done similar - they can all be viewed through YouTube. I can see why they may be perceived as humorous, yet show me a man who would walk out of the room if one came on? What about an 8-year-old boy or teen who will also be entranced or a young girl who will emulate what she's seen?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But we are open to scrutiny when we go out in public.

If it was just for you, you would wear the skirt and lipstick, etc. at home while watching tv and intermittently looking in a full length mirror. Most (not all) of us change our look to go out in public and that is because of how we want to appear to others too. The pajama wearing rolled out of bed look, they do not care how they look to the public.

Not many of us wear our nice clothes and full makeup at home just for ourselves, it's about projecting an image because there are others around and then feeling good about how we presented it.
That's right, the reason a person will "feel good" is due to the confidence connected to knowing they are "fixed up". (What if that one was not armed a mini skirt and lipstick?) No, why would anyone waste their regular clothes and makeup sitting around at home?

I know, my sister will tease me because I wil be applying lip stuff throughout a day, just as using lotion or running a brush through my hair. First, I am conditioned to moisturize my lips and I fluff up my hair, because otherwise it flattens - having fine, layered hair, so the lip thing is for me, but fluffing up my hair makes me "feel better". I recall feeling that as long as my hair looked great, I could get away without makeup, just to do errands. Then there came a time when I began feeling uncomfortable going without. Though I likely wouldn't be treated differently without, I feel I have to touch up my nonexistent eyebrows and cover a brownish spot, put on mascara and lip tint, feeling conditioned to do so. I'm sure many women must feel this way.

There are those pictures of celebrities without makeup, which I have seen men respond to with disbelief.. I have seen them say that's just "airbrushing"...(Huh?).. it is the finished look that is airbrushed, otherwise they look like everyone else. We wouldn't want to ruin their fantasy.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think it's funny that many men put on their best cologne, wear their best clothing, etc., and go out in public for drinks or whatever. Yet, they have snotty things to say if "fat chicks" or "ugly chicks" come and try to talk to them. Yet, if women are dressed in their best, then they are "asking for" anyone/everyone to hit on them.
Yep. It is funny how a guy will be not so attractive, yet acts as if he deserves being with nothing less than a model. I think this attitude developed due to not having been projected upon to look perfect - not having to enhance their face, be thin, sexy - all contributing to men feeling secure. Even when young, I think they are conditioned to be accepted at face value..while going after the "hottest girl".

Old 03-13-2015, 07:09 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
I recall feeling that as long as my hair looked great, I could get away without makeup, just to do errands. Then there came a time when I began feeling uncomfortable going without. Though I likely wouldn't be treated differently without, I feel I have to touch up my nonexistent eyebrows and cover a brownish spot, put on mascara and lip tint, feeling conditioned to do so. I'm sure many women must feel this way.
So then maybe we are not doing it for ourselves if we feel uncomfortable going out without makeup do a few errands. I do not leave the house without makeup, and it must be because I don't want to look bad in front of other people. I do not have to have makeup on at home, although sometimes I do choose to wear it. I do HAVE to have makeup going out. Like *many* women, and some men too, I have at home clothes that feel the most comfortable and going out clothes and usually change to the home clothes when lounging around. There is a whole section of lounging clothes in the stores, just for that purpose. Some people have taken to wearing pjs and lounging clothes in public, I don't like it when either gender does that. It just makes us all look like a culture of slobs, IMO.

I guess I don't mind admitting that I put effort into looking my best and it isn't just for me, and there's nothing wrong with that. It shows a certain level of respect for ourselves and others to go out looking decent. That goes for men too.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So then maybe we are not doing it for ourselves if we feel uncomfortable going out without makeup do a few errands. I do not leave the house without makeup, and it must be because I don't want to look bad in front of other people. I do not have to have makeup on at home, although sometimes I do choose to wear it. I do HAVE to have makeup going out. Like *many* women, and some men too, I have at home clothes that feel the most comfortable and going out clothes and usually change to the home clothes when lounging around. There is a whole section of lounging clothes in the stores, just for that purpose. Some people have taken to wearing pjs and lounging clothes in public, I don't like it when either gender does that. It just makes us all look like a culture of slobs, IMO.

I guess I don't mind admitting that I put effort into looking my best and it isn't just for me, and there's nothing wrong with that. It shows a certain level of respect for ourselves and others to go out looking decent. That goes for men too.
True. Making yourself look attractive to the opposite sex is in almost every animals DNA. Modern men and women like to think we are beyond that. Whether is a duck or an ape, it's basic biology and it boils down to reproducing the species; The healthiest and strongest men and women will most often get the best mates.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:30 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Sure, the problem is the TV...or just not seeing magazines or billboards. This is kind of like saying "get rid of your car if you don't want to experience bad drivers".
The TV is a mind-control device. The only thing you will miss by getting rid of it is constant subliminal bombardment. You can find out anything you want to know, watch TV shows and movies *without* commercials, on the internet and it's a lot less invasive.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:30 AM

649 posts, read 570,744 times
Quote:
Oh, they have done similar - they can all be viewed through YouTube. I can see why they may be perceived as humorous, yet show me a man who would walk out of the room if one came on? What about an 8-year-old boy or teen who will also be entranced or a young girl who will emulate what she's seen?
Maybe I should have explained myself better. I personally think these commercials are stupid and I would immediately change the channel if one came on and a child was in the room. I just think the advertisers are trying to prove a point that sex sells so why not go way over the top.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I've seen this before, men saying for example, "don't look at magazines", instead of addressing ore resolving the source of the problem.
What is the source of the problem?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
This is typical. Men have not had the same level of perfectionism projected upon them for life, as females have.
Of course they have. It just isn't about looking beautiful, rather it's sports/physical prowess, making money and showing it off. The later is the most important. The roles on both sides have been reinforced by both evolution and culture for many thousands of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty