Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are reducing the women to decorations for your pleasure.
Women put a lot of effort into making themselves look hot and sexy, and then go out in public where people will notice them. And then we are supposed to feel guilty for noticing? Something very weird is going on here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Women put a lot of effort into making themselves look hot and sexy, and then go out in public where people will notice them. And then we are supposed to feel guilty for noticing? Something very weird is going on here...
WRONG !!!!!! Women wear clothes they feel comfortable in, given the occasion.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
WRONG !!!!!! Women wear clothes they feel comfortable in, given the occasion.
The question is why? Surely you don't believe that women spend so much time effort and money making themselves look attractive and sexy by accident? Why is this what they are most "comfortable" wearing and what purpose does it serve? Why would they feel uncomfortable wearing clothes that actually *are* comfortable?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
The question is why? Surely you don't believe that women spend so much time effort and money making themselves look attractive and sexy by accident? Why is this what they are most "comfortable" wearing and what purpose does it serve? Why would they feel uncomfortable wearing clothes that actually *are* comfortable?
Well, if a woman won the genetic lottery, she is gonna look nice even in a tank & jeans. Chances are, she wears it cuz she likes it. Its not to wow the guys.

And its not just women. I look good in certain outfits myself. Chances are I wear it out of will, not to be leered.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
Quote:

Some women dress to impress other people. But, one universal truth is that women are people. And no two people are exactly alike. Just like how men are individual, women are, too. Do some men take a lot of time and make an effort and spend money to make themselves look attractive and sexy? Sure they do. And some women do, too.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Chances are I wear it out of will, not to be leered.
I never thought you or most women were going for a certain look in order to be leered at. Far from it. But you are going for *something* besides physical comfort. Burkas are actually quite comfortable I hear. So are PJs and sweatpants. There is a reason *why* you don't dress like that in public. There is a reason why you have a standard that you uphold. You want to be noticed, or if you are shy you at least want to be thought well of when you are seen. You want others (women and men both) to think "she looks good". When you are projecting the image you want, you feel good about yourself. For some women (and men) this is worth a lot of effort. Others, not so much.

Like in many aspects of life, "what we like" is influenced by a multitude of factors, and the fashion business and ad/marketing have a lot to do with it. It's no accident that the dominant meme among fashionable women for "looking good" in our culture is not particularly modest. Sex is a powerful force in subtle and not so subtle forms of expression.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Do some men take a lot of time and make an effort and spend money to make themselves look attractive and sexy? Sure they do. And some women do, too.
Very few men try to look "sexy", and most of them are gay. Attractive yes, but the rules are completely different than they are for women. For men the attractiveness runs more toward being lean and strong, assertive, confident, and rich.

There are long standing (many millennia old) evolutionary and genetic reasons for this dichotomy. The ad companies didn't invent this, but they do prey on it mercilessly... because it works, apparently.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

19,651 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
I don't think they are doing it as much as in the past. A lot of younger women now are more into "self expression" - multi-colored hair, tattoos, nose rings, big glasses and fat acceptance - not traditional sexiness or femininity. Even skinny girls seem to want to display a muffin top. The pants or leggings actually create a little belly bulge where there would not normally be one. Some of us prefer clothes that flatter our figure and hide flaws, but many women now want to display flaws with pride. I can't really blame men for wanting to see hot women in advertising. The advertisers will go for their market and it is mostly young men.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A lot of younger women now are more into "self expression" - multi-colored hair, tattoos, nose rings, big glasses and fat acceptance - not traditional sexiness or femininity.
Yes, it's the anti-fashion fashion. Each subculture has their own rules about what is "good". If one of those girls showed up looking like a fashion model, she would not get a positive response at all.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:31 PM

36 posts, read 37,662 times
Quote:
You want to be noticed, or if you are shy you at least want to be thought well of when you are seen. You want others (women and men both) to think "she looks good". When you are projecting the image you want, you feel good about yourself.
Except not. And the fact that you refuse to accept that is disturbing (as I know you're not the only man who thinks this way). I dress up nice because I like the way it looks. It makes ME feel pretty to wear a skirt and lipstick. I really don't care if other people like it or not. If they compliment me, awesome, they like my style. If they don't, so what? I'm not dressing up to please them in any way. The only person I care about thinking "she looks good" is ME. That's what makes me feel good about myself. My own self confidence. Not nasty men on the street who think my looks and body are a free for all and open to their scrutiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty