Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

104 posts, read 83,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Objectification does not exist, period.

Anytime a man finds a woman to be attractive in any way, whether that is admiring her physical beauty, admiring her sexually, etc etc, it is a form of appreciation. Men dont look at women like "pieces of meat", they look at them as sexual partners to mate with, even if it is at a very animalistic level.
I must disagree that whenever a person finds another person attractive it is a form of appreciation. Male or female, there are many emotions that can be felt about another person one finds attractive. One might feel the need to possess, or one might feel envy, or hatred, or even the desire to kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:34 PM

36 posts, read 37,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Personally, I never minded guys who were of smaller stature, so it is not all women, but some are conditoned to like "oversize" males, for whatever reason. I've heard women say that they "like a big man, because it makes them feel smaller".. whatever.
I completely agree that it's wrong to judge ANYONE for their height or natural build. But I always thought the fact that some women insist on men who are larger than them in order to feel small just once again exemplifies how much women too are chastised for their own size. They are just as afraid of looking larger than their man as some men are as looking smaller than their women. It's a problem, but I don't think women feel or act this way just because. WHY do so women have this drive to feel small and dainty compared to men? It's not a case of one side vs the other, but a perfect example of the constant battle going round in circles.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:29 PM

185 posts, read 184,958 times
Quote:
how he is skinny & pale.
What? No no no, there are people that love that type. For realz!

Tell him to ignore the a-holes and perhaps flip them the bird. You know that old saying of sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me? There ya go. Don't give them the time of day. Seriously.

And, yes, objectification or shall we just call it human attraction or whatever is instinctual. Granted, in civilized modern society, people kind of tone that down. I hope, lol!

Anyhoo, women shaming someone? If they do that? Please don't give the b*tches any time of day if they're like that.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The TV is a mind-control device. The only thing you will miss by getting rid of it is constant subliminal bombardment. You can find out anything you want to know, watch TV shows and movies *without* commercials, on the internet and it's a lot less invasive.
Well, I for one am not going to stop watching television. When commercials come on, I am muting the TV, changing channels, ignoring it or leaving the room. I use my iPad or computer with the TV on at the same time, anyway. The point is, that ads exist and the masses are not getting rid of their TV and just using devices, so sexually-influencing or sexist ads will be viewable no matter what. It would need to be altered at the root of the problem, which is to change how things are done by advertisers. Carl's Jr does not need to depict a half-naked, sexually-posed female with stuff dripping all over her in order to sell burgers, but men like this, so it's not going away. (I don't know how much this brings customers into their restaurants, when people are just hungry).

Just as there are magazines which a lot of us do not buy, but apparently many do, it is difficult to control the sale of. It also doesn't mean that everyone is buying products that are displayed. The point is, there should not be print ads, billboards by a company such as "Dolce and Gabbana", depicting a faux rape scene to sell perfume or clothing.. (whatever it is). It is not that some will not see the ads or just pretend they are not there, but that they exist in the first place. Do you understand?

Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
It is not that some will not see the ads or just pretend they are not there, but that they exist in the first place. Do you understand?
For starters these ads are effective. We can make it so they are ineffective, or maybe we can campaign to appoint a committee that determines what is "too sexy" and censors ads. Which do you prefer? It seems that the later is the only viable option in your opinion.

I mentioned TV because it is the worst subliminal offender. I'd honestly never seen a sexy CJ ad until someone here pointed them out. The few magazines I read don't use sex to sell either.

There is a lot of really serious and awful **** going on in the world, and sexy ads are pretty far down the list IMO. I let other people do whatever they like generally. If it isn't something that is forced on me, it really isn't my business. Ads *aren't* forced on me. I can avoid them pretty easily. Getting rid of the TV takes care of most of it.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:49 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Babies are born as sinners and that's why they are naked.
This outta get good. Where's the popcorn?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post
I completely agree that it's wrong to judge ANYONE for their height or natural build. But I always thought the fact that some women insist on men who are larger than them in order to feel small just once again exemplifies how much women too are chastised for their own size. They are just as afraid of looking larger than their man as some men are as looking smaller than their women. It's a problem, but I don't think women feel or act this way just because. WHY do so women have this drive to feel small and dainty compared to men? It's not a case of one side vs the other, but a perfect example of the constant battle going round in circles.
As a man of shorter stature, how can I disagree with this? I have dated women taller than me and bigger than me. It doesn't bother me, if it doesn't bother them.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Of course they have. It just isn't about looking beautiful, rather it's sports/physical prowess, making money and showing it off. The later is the most important. The roles on both sides have been reinforced by both evolution and culture for many thousands of years.
You are correct sir!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
True. Making yourself look attractive to the opposite sex is in almost every animals DNA. Modern men and women like to think we are beyond that. Whether is a duck or an ape, it's basic biology and it boils down to reproducing the species; The healthiest and strongest men and women will most often get the best mates.
All true, if by best you mean most likely to produce physically healthy offspring.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post
Except not. And the fact that you refuse to accept that is disturbing (as I know you're not the only man who thinks this way). I dress up nice because I like the way it looks. It makes ME feel pretty to wear a skirt and lipstick. I really don't care if other people like it or not. If they compliment me, awesome, they like my style. If they don't, so what? I'm not dressing up to please them in any way. The only person I care about thinking "she looks good" is ME. That's what makes me feel good about myself. My own self confidence. Not nasty men on the street who think my looks and body are a free for all and open to their scrutiny.
If you really do not care what anyone else thinks of your appearance, you are one of a kind.

Some woman like nasty men. Who are we to judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty