Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I don't think its right for women to be objectified. It must be understood that they have feelings & aspirations along with a beautiful body. Don't look at them like sex toys.

Wearing revealing clothes at ones desire isn't objectification. Being forced to do it for pleasing others is.
Of course women have feelings etc. That's mot going to stop men from fantasizing about having sex with them.

Also - who is "forcing" women to go naked for others' pleasure? I never see that happen in this country. Maybe on some other continent that is going on (white slavery) and that needs to be prosecuted under the law, but no one is "forcing" anyone to do that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Exactly. Most of the ads reduce women to a collection of body parts. It is rarely about empowering women. Most ads teach women the most important thing you should be is attractive. And attractive is never includive of the variety of shapes, shades and attributes we have. And does not incorporate non physical traits.

This is an awesome blog dicussing this topic.
Beauty Redefined Blog - BEAUTY REDEFINED

Wake me up when female influencers aren't judged on their figures, style, makeup and home life ; when we focus on the accomplishments that got them there.
Advertisements are designed to sell products, not "empower" anyone.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I agree, and I think that's great. There are a lot of great men out there. I'm married to one. I'm wearing hot pink fleece pajama pants, a navy blue tank top and a messy bun right now, and my hubs still thinks I'm sexy.

I'm not in the school of men vs. women.

Also, Adi, your view on women has not always been as healthy as it is now. What do you think caused the thoughts that you shared on this forum a year or so ago? Could it have been the media and the way that it exploits women?
I'm happy you view my thoughts in a positive sense.

My view on women has always been healthy. Once again, that horrific thread does not represent me as a person. It was a mistake. I was mad at my mom that day, after an argument, and decided to take it out on women in CD. The biggest mistake was making a bad choice due to impulsive thinking. Don't even try to link the two.

Number 2, my life has gone down the drain since then and I've come to appreciate help & kindness infinitley over looks. ANYONE who contributes to helping me rise up will earn my respect as messenger of the holy one. God is real, and punishes for sin. I deserve this misery for making a bad choice. But its high time I get out. I'm praying twice every day with at most sincerity, hoping the holy one will listen to my apologies and forgive me. I am doing my level best to prosper in the righteous way, but need some help.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 PM

185 posts, read 184,974 times
Quote:
Am I the only women who doesn't mind when other women are "objectified"?
Eh, I don't mind. I objectify men that way. Its human behavior. No big deal.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeDeux View Post
Eh, I don't mind. I objectify men that way. Its human behavior. No big deal.
No it is not. Appreciation is human behavior. Objectification is derogatory. Why do you think shorter, and physically weaker guys are shamed by some women. It sucks , for both genders. My brother is a victim of objectification due to physical weakness, and he feels hurt when people talk trash on how he is skinny & pale.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-13-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Quote:
...... My brother is a victim of objectification due to physical weakness, and he feels hurt when people talk trash on how he is skinny & pale.

Why does your brother feel "hurt"?
Is it the fault of society that he is skinny and pale?

He needs to learn that some people talk trash because they ARE trash. It's not his fault.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Why does your brother feel "hurt"?
Is it the fault of society that he is skinny and pale?

He needs to learn that some people talk trash because they ARE trash. It's not his fault.
He is 17 years old. People are sensitive to those comments at that age. They cause damage to emotions.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Quote:
He is 17 years old. People are sensitive to those comments at that age. They cause damage to emotions.
17? He's old enough to learn that the world is full of jerks that don't care a whit about others. Until he learns that.....he isn't going to be able to help himself. The World won't make allowances for him, he has to do it for himself. He must not get into the habit of making excuses for himself.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
17? He's old enough to learn that the world is full of jerks that don't care a whit about others. Until he learns that.....he isn't going to be able to help himself. The World won't make allowances for him, he has to do it for himself. He must not get into the habit of making excuses for himself.
Right, but that still doesn't justify being talked about in such a way. Isn't that what objectification is all about. Idolizing people is wrong.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
No it is not. Appreciation is human behavior. Objectification is derogatory. Why do you think shorter, and physically weaker guys are shamed by some women. It sucks , for both genders. My brother is a victim of objectification due to physical weakness, and he feels hurt when people talk trash on how he is skinny & pale.
I just want to point out that the term "objectification" has to do with sexism toward females, so that is not exactly what you mean.

Your brother is being personally attacked and judged. Sadly, many are bullied, which is completely wrong to occur in any case and I feel for him and others. Bullying HAS to end, but there is not being enough done to stop it. This attitude overall seems to stem from those households who influence their children to "not be wimps", or to "not cry", "be a man", etc., so some kids end up picking on others. I detest that this has been projected upon males by some fathers (maybe some mothers) since males should be allowed to express emotion and not be projected upon to "be tough". I would have never done that myself and some parents do not, but it is a continual, societal issue, which has contributed to many problems (just like the topic, here).

Personally, I never minded guys who were of smaller stature, so it is not all women, but some are conditoned to like "oversize" males, for whatever reason. I've heard women say that they "like a big man, because it makes them feel smaller".. whatever. Maybe they grew up around hulking men..but in any case, it is wrong to judge others this way. (Likewise, I would be interested in someone short, who would choose to be with one even shorter than my 5' 3", because that made them feel manly, so again, it depends on where a person is coming from, how they have been influenced, etc.)

I hope your brother will be able to strengthen his self-esteem, through his talents or skills, that everyone possesses of some kind. Ignore those a___holes -- and females who are worth it will see him on his own merit. There are tons of men in this world who have made it, big time, despite their height - (Tom Cruise comes to mind). We kind of veered off there and I can be long-winded, but I am sensitive to others and I hate to see anyone struggling with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty