Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,794,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
On the contrary.

I know lots of rich and upper middle class people.

I always admire the ones who don't go full peacock or GQ way more. They are comfortable with who they are and don't feel they have to put on a show. They seem more down to earth...and usually are.

It's not 100% either way, but the pattern tends to hold.
But most of them don't buy their clothes at Walmart either.

Again quality clothes need not mean designer clothes but quality costs and it shows even if t is just jeans and a t shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:33 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,089,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niugnep View Post
You can be well groomed on a WalMart budget and poorly groomed on a top designer budget. "Poor" or "Rich" has little to do with it.
I had a boss who was quite arrogant and would boast about her 'name brand' clothing from high end stores. One day I wore a new outfit from WallyWorld, she complimented me on 'what a great outfit' I was wearing and asked which store I bought it at.

When I said, 'Wal-Mart', she immediately looked at as though I were a leper and scurried off.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,850,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I had a boss who was quite arrogant and would boast about her 'name brand' clothing from high end stores. One day I wore a new outfit from WallyWorld, she complimented me on 'what a great outfit' I was wearing and asked which store I bought it at.

When I said, 'Wal-Mart', she immediately looked at as though I were a leper and scurried off.
That kind of attitude is stupid to me, Wal-mart sells clothes, they don't have clothing line, they have Wrangler jeans, not Wal-mart jeans. They sell Bugle Boy, no different than any other store that sells things that don't actually have their own line.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:17 AM

607 posts, read 1,406,813 times
"Put together" is put together. I am happy in jeans and a sweatshirt, but sometimes it is important to look like I care. That's the key.
It's not always the money spent, but the time and effort. It's not always about dressing to impress for vain reasons, but to show that you value whatever situation you are in, as well as the people around you. Respect.
Seems to me that shoes matter. They don't have to be beat-up looking or the wrong ones for the wrong outfit in the wrong season.
Just make a little effort.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:12 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,187,791 times
Wealthy people, esp. those with "old money," don't waste a lot of money on appearances (expensive new clothes, cars, furnishings, etc.) to impress other people; that's how they become or stay wealthy.

Expending a lot of time and energy to look "rich" is a new-money or deeply-in-debt thing.

See the book "The Millionaire Next Door."

Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 PM

590 posts, read 717,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Comfort is important, even to the rich people. You cannot judge a person by their clothing, as long as they are at least clean. This reminds me of a recent story in the news about one of the millionaires who lives near Bill Gates in Medina, WA. He went to a local luxury/exotic car dealership dressed in sneakers, a pocket T and well faded jeans. The sales people ignored him, thinking that he probably couldn't afford to buy, and missed out on a sale of a $300,000 Ferrari, which he ended up buying in Seattle instead.
I wear worn out double front carhartt pants and romeo shoes and t shirts most of the time. I like those clothes and could care less what others think. I have better things to spend my money on... like buying more shares of stock and stuff that makes me money. When I retire I don't think I'll dress any different. About 6 months ago I walked into a Stihl store that also sold John Deere equipment. I was looking around for about 20 minutes until some older guy got out of his chair that he had been sitting in the whole time and walked up to me and asked if I needed help, I said yeah how much of a discount do you give if a customer pays cash. He looked stumped, as if no one these days forks out $3k for a riding lawnmower. He said well I can ask the owner. I did end up buying the mower, with cash, and the guy did indeed look like he didn't expect me to have $3k cash on me.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,337,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I wear worn out double front carhartt pants and romeo shoes and t shirts most of the time. I like those clothes and could care less what others think. I have better things to spend my money on... like buying more shares of stock and stuff that makes me money. When I retire I don't think I'll dress any different. About 6 months ago I walked into a Stihl store that also sold John Deere equipment. I was looking around for about 20 minutes until some older guy got out of his chair that he had been sitting in the whole time and walked up to me and asked if I needed help, I said yeah how much of a discount do you give if a customer pays cash. He looked stumped, as if no one these days forks out $3k for a riding lawnmower. He said well I can ask the owner. I did end up buying the mower, with cash, and the guy did indeed look like he didn't expect me to have $3k cash on me.

Yes, but what about the discount? Did you receive one? What percent of the original 3k off did you get, if any?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,264,327 times
If the clothes are a decent size, no holes or stains, then who cares? I'm not impressed by someone who has a huge logo or name splashed on their chest or butt. If anything, that impresses me less. When outside of work, the average person likely goes to a restaurant like Applebee's, a grocery store, Target, the movies, doctor appointments, bowling, etc. Are they supposed to wear a $500 suit or gown to these places?

If you are dressing expensively to show off to random strangers, you've got some self-esteem issues.
Do I care that someone dresses poor? No, why would I. I've usually got my own business to tend to, I don't care what someone I don't know is wearing. Now I do tend to wish people would stop showing their butts so much. Wear I live, people aren't just sagging their pants to show some crack, I'm seeing a LOT of ass lately and it's getting a bit old. It would be nice if people would cover guts, butts, and muffin tops, but hey I gotta live my life and I'll try not to be a beotch about it.

When I see people in their clothes, I can hardly tell whether it's Macy's, Wal-Mart, Saks, or anything in between.
I do agree with others that discuss effort. Clean hair, teeth, grooming def matters. Show that you take care of yourself and your clothes. Jean and t-shirts aren't the problem, to me it's more about whether you and your clothes are clean and well taken care of. If the jeans are clean and fit well, the shirt too, and you obviously have good habits - take care of your skin, hair, and teeth - that says more about you than whether your clothes came from Tiffany's or Target.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,292,678 times
The OP's question is actually interesting. Do we notice or care if someone dresses as if he or she is poor, as defined by wearing cheap clothing. I think that is the question. At first I thought the OP was asking about people who look poor in general. First off, yes, I often notice if someone's clothing is cheap or if it is expensive. But it is none of my business what people wear, or how they present themselves. I don't know if I "care" exactly, but how one presents oneself does invite categorization. So, in a sense, I am aware of the quality of someone's clothing, specifically if I spend time with him or her.

In terms of looking poor, yes, I can tell, as can anyone really.

The big thing for looking good in clothes is fit, as the OP has posted. I fight this battle all the time. I have a terrible time finding a good fit. I do some altering, but nothing too involved. Fit is a big deal, and it is hard to get a good fit in cheap clothes unless you are young and slim. This is my opinion.

And, the less you have to spend on clothing, the harder it is to look good in your clothes. But there are plenty of people who spend plenty, and still look awful. Taste knows no budget. But cheap clothes are are usually pretty obvious. And they often don't wash well, so they are not good long term investments.

But how someone else dresses is none of my business, so I don't obsess about this.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM

17,581 posts, read 39,278,963 times
I think this is more about looking "put together" rather than looking "poor." I don't notice whether someone's clothes look expensive or not, I notice the overall look - do they look neat, clean and PUT TOGETHER. Whether they are dressed up or down, makes no difference. For myself, I always care how I look, I own NO expensive clothing, in fact much of my attire comes from "pre-owned" sources, and I live in sun dresses and sandals. But I comb my hair and wear light makeup and eat right and work out to have a healthy body. These things are what makes a person look more attractive, NOT the cost of their clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty