Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:43 AM

633 posts, read 581,912 times

Advertisements

Unless you know the "drapes don't match the curtains" give the ladies a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:58 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why the attitude? I have very thick hair. It's also very coarse. It works in some styles and not at ALL in other styles, so I've found styles that work, that's all. There's a good style for just about every sort of hair and every sort of facial shape.

As far as the "helmet head" style - I'm not talking about that style at all. Nor am I talking about "forcing it on just about every post menopausal woman you know." Sheeze, where do you come up with this stuff?

If you like your long hair, more power to ya. As for it getting thinner, don't lash out at me - I didn't eat your sack lunch. People have all sorts of different hair challenges - my response had NOTHING to do with being critical of others' hair, or my hair being superior to anyone else's - wow.

Some people would NOT like the very short hairstyle I have, or like the maintenance it requires (cut and thinned every month), and that's OK - it's just what works for me.

You go, gurrrllll! Except, yes, you DID sound "boastful"...and why are you making the assumption that my hair is "thinning"? I'm speaking for all women involved in this...it's not just about me.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-21-2016 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: A lot more to say

Old 10-21-2016, 06:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You have described my mom. She had naturally vivid red hair. She began coloring it as it was turning white. When we insisted she stop coloring it in her nineties, we discovered her beautiful, full white hair. What a waste of all those years. Its funny, because she admired Ann Richards, and if anyone had a beautiful head of white hair, that woman did.
My hair is thin, at its best (a beautician said it was ultra thin) and when you look at the hair it looks thick, but with its soft silvery strands on fine hair it doesn't look like much. Naturally it has a very pretty white to silver color. But it looks even thinner.

I use henna as a two benefit product. Its dark red, and stays a real red unlike the chemical types of dyes, no burning the scalp, no awful smell. It's a bit messy rinceing out, being actually mud, but it doesn't drip and you can wrap it and do your stuff, hopefullin indoors. The brassy tone cures to the deep reddish. The color looks natual with my blond/red skin tones.

I love that it makes the hair far stronger, is easy to use and the color is noticed. If I left it silvery it would be pretty, but also pretty much invisible and easily broken off.

Nobody is going to 'insist' that I stop dying my hair. My 90's are near thirty years away, but I'm pretty sure I'll be like my grandmother and not take such 'advise'. If a woman in her old age likes her hair red, then she gets to do it.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My feeling is that we ladies are not trying to fool anyone. We embrace different colors with abandon.
It is men who color their hair, because they think it makes them look younger, and who aren't fooling anyone. Men who color their hair, strike me as sort of pathetic.
I have a very pale complexion, and my blonde hair wasn't ever dark blonde. Its faded into a very nice silvery but I don't want white hair. With the silver tone, the henna red has a very nice depth and shine.

But I'm not trying to pretend the very dark red hair came from the same pale complexion (had a bad illness, and couldn't 'sun bathe' and discovered how much nicer the skin looks without being cooked, so I usually look 'pale'.) The dark red hair came from something other than nature (though henna IS natural) and I'm not pretending. Hair color should be something you do for yourself, not draw 'permission' from other people. I like that older women and sometimes men can play with hair more than their still working children since they are likely still working and have to think of the job.

My favorite experiment happened when I'd used some kind of stuff on my hair which didn't all wash out before dying it and my red hair came out a wonderful shade of purple. It kinda got noticed. I'd do that again if I had any idea what I used that made it purple. When I'm a grandmother and have grandkids, I'll still do my hair as I choose and refuse 'standards'.

I'm just grateful I am not in the lives lived back when everything including your clothes and hair and even your hobbies were specified as suitable for standards but women found ways of breaking the rules they could.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 PM

181 posts, read 138,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why the attitude? I have very thick hair. It's also very course. Some people would NOT like the very short hairstyle I have, or like the maintenance it requires (cut and thinned every month), and that's OK - it's just what works for me.
I understand that people with course hair like to cut it short because it's difficult to style and impossible to hold a curl for example. But I think that cutting it short only solves your problem with it being course and not your problem with thickness. Shorter hair appears to be thicker. I'm not sure how good it is to use thinning shears monthly because you may appear to have breakage in the long run. Have you considered having a keratin treatment? It might help with the course texture of your hair by smoothing out the cuticle and making your texture look nicer. It won't hold a curl any better or be easier to style any way but straight but it might be more manageable. Then you won't need to cut your hair short. And it may help with the appearance of thickness because of the smoothing effect. And if you are able to make it less course you can grow it long and the weight of it will make it appear to be thinner. Then you won't have to have it thinned as often.

Last edited by Alabamarose; 10-21-2016 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Boo on this topic. My late grandmother, barring the years she was afflicted with dementia, would NEVER "embrace the gray". She died her hair black for as long as I could remember and she looked damn good. Women should do whatever makes them happy. My mom dyes her hair red because a) she likes the color and b) her hair color was not uniform but a mixture of white, gray, and dark brown (her natural color). People seem to think that all of the hair grows in gray when that is not the case for many women. Often the new hair is different shades of gray and sorry Pepe Le Pew/Cruella de Ville doesn't look good on all women. If the hair was all one color and texture, that would be a different story.

As for me "embracing the gray", we'll see how it goes. I used to like dyed hair, particularly jet black. I became allergic to the chemicals so I stopped, but I'd dye my hair in a heartbeat if I didn't have the allergy.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:26 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Boo on this topic. My late grandmother, barring the years she was afflicted with dementia, would NEVER "embrace the gray". She died her hair black for as long as I could remember and she looked damn good. Women should do whatever makes them happy. My mom dyes her hair red because a) she likes the color and b) her hair color was not uniform but a mixture of white, gray, and dark brown (her natural color). People seem to think that all of the hair grows in gray when that is not the case for many women. Often the new hair is different shades of gray and sorry Pepe Le Pew/Cruella de Ville doesn't look good on all women. If the hair was all one color and texture, that would be a different story.

As for me "embracing the gray", we'll see how it goes. I used to like dyed hair, particularly jet black. I became allergic to the chemicals so I stopped, but I'd dye my hair in a heartbeat if I didn't have the allergy.

My beautiful, late sister, also became allergic to hair dye, so she switched to henna in a deep auburn shade...it was stunning! The henna also helped with texture...she had very thick, long hair before the chemotherapy. You might want to try henna.

Your grandmother must have been a fun lady!

Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
My beautiful, late sister, also became allergic to hair dye, so she switched to henna in a deep auburn shade...it was stunning! The henna also helped with texture...she had very thick, long hair before the chemotherapy. You might want to try henna.

Your grandmother must have been a fun lady!
\

The company I buy the henna from has one form which is colorless. It will make your hair shiny, but its purpose is to strengthen the hair without changing the color. Comments note that some use it as an inbetween treatment for easily broken hair. I've noticed that with mine, I give it extra time which of course makes it darker, but noticable strenghtens my fine hair.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I think the take away from this is that there is no "one size fits all solutions" for women. All the women in the world, having to do the same thing based on one or two rules, based on an age, etc? Seems ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:05 PM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Embrace whatever floats your boat!!!
At that wise age.. why do we need to listen to someone else especially on hair colors???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty