Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:28 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
And who cares? In what way does this affect you? If you or the OP really cares that much, why don't you yourself buy her some nice clothes if this is such a concern? All you guys are doing is speculating about a girl's life without knowing the first thing about her based on what she's wearing. That's something people in middle school do.

Alas, this is the "Fashion & Beauty" forum, so I shouldn't be surprised really.
I care. I can't stop being mom. I would be very concerned about that young woman.

Me, myself, (and I) have fed and clothed a few people. I do what I can.

You can roll your eyes until they hurt, but tell me what you have done for anyone. I'm waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM

121 posts, read 74,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I care. I can't stop being mom. I would be very concerned about that young woman.

Me, myself, (and I) have fed and clothed a few people. I do what I can.

You can roll your eyes until they hurt, but tell me what you have done for anyone. I'm waiting.
You shouldn't brag about how you have helped people and you also shouldn't pretend that judging people is "caring" about them. Gawd, shut up.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Because they are out in public!

They can dress however they want in private, without facing any scrutiny.
Your superior attitude does not take into consideration that may be all the clothes the woman owns, and all the money she has may be spent at the grocery store to keep herself and possibly children from starving to death.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larali View Post
You shouldn't brag about how you have helped people and you also shouldn't pretend that judging people is "caring" about them. Gawd, shut up.
How could you not wonder about the woman who shows up three times in the falling down pants. It sounds as though she needs some sort of help. I'd go insane if I lived in a large city. I want to help everyone. Yes, I've learned to shut my mouth and mind my own business.

Giving someone a sandwich or a coat isn't much. Nothing to brag about. I'd love to brag about my mom and my son, but this isn't the time or place.

It's not polite to tell someone to shut up, so, shut the f up.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:46 AM

68 posts, read 79,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How could you not wonder about the woman who shows up three times in the falling down pants. It sounds as though she needs some sort of help.
That is the point. If I would have seen her in the same t-shirt, pj pants and lets say flip-flops each time, I probably wouldn't have noticed. And for sure I wouldn't have written about it here.

It's about the condition of her clothes and shoes. That puzzled me at first, and now I feel sad about it.

Next time I see her, I will try to talk to her. It's not so easy for me to talk to strangers, especially in this context. But I will. What I will do to help depends on her reaction of course.

But I already have googled for charities around here, found some and phoned them. I now know two charities not far away incl. opening hours and the services they provide. Have printed it and put it in my wallet, so next time I see her I can at least give her that information. Everything else remains to be seen.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Wow. Now you're thinking. You've made my day. Really.

Be prepared. She may not want the attention, but she may change her mind next week.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Check and see if there's a Christian Women's Job Corp in your area. They often coordinate with local resale shops and give their students vouchers for free clothing up to a certain amount. They also offer all sorts of free classes.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:18 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Check and see if there's a Christian Women's Job Corp in your area. They often coordinate with local resale shops and give their students vouchers for free clothing up to a certain amount. They also offer all sorts of free classes.
She may just turn around and leave as soon as he says Christian

Old 08-13-2016, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
She may just turn around and leave as soon as he says Christian
Or maybe not.

It's free clothes. Free education. Free help with job placement afterwards. A very high success rate with graduates. And yes, it's a Christian organization. But we don't turn away folks from other religions, or no religion, nor do we insist that they pray or convert or anything like that - in fact, one of my favorite students last semester was a Muslim girl from North Africa.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:08 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It strikes me that death and mourning used to be a much bigger part of life than it is now. Families are smaller and generally healthier than in decades past. I've been to exactly three funerals in the past thirty years, and my children haven't been to a funeral since they were preschoolers. People just don't have formal mourning clothes today. It wouldn't bother me if a young person showed up in jeans and a button-down. Frankly, I'd just be glad they showed up at all.
When my brother, an electrician, died, a few of his co-workers came to the wake. One was this young man, un jeans, long hair, lot of metal in his face, and he was just devastated. He was an apprentice that my bro had been teaching, and he really respected him and said he'd learned so much. My sister sat by the poor kid and told him funny stories about my brother in an effort to help him feel better.

We were really touched by this kid's sadness. I don't think he'd really dealt with death before. It didn't matter what he wore or how he looked.

By the way, my brother asked to be buried in jeans and his favorite sweatshirt. Said he rarely wore a suit in life, it would be stupid to put one on him when he was dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty