Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,549 times

Advertisements

Me! I am happy to see this thread, usually this is something I feel totally alone in haha!

My mom had issues with her earlobes getting infected so I wasn't allowed to get my ears peirced until I was 12. Age 12 came and went and it never happened. At this point the idea grosses me out. I don't have any piercings or tattoos. I doubt I will ever get any, unless I have some sort of midlife crisis or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I don't have pierced ears. My late husband nearly lost me the first Christmas after we met when he bought me some pierced earrings after having known me for almost a year and having seen me and my ears several days a week during that period.
my fiance (male) has both ears pierced and I don't, which I find funny . we saw a commercial last christmas that said something like "earrings are a great gift for any woman" and had a good laugh

Old 02-14-2017, 03:23 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I was allowed to get my ears pierced for my 10th birthday. Never really had any issues, though I did buy a pair of earrings a few weeks ago that used a thick wire for the hooks. Those things hurt--I had to return them. I don't know how people do those ear gauge things.

And it does creep me out a little when I see babies with pierced ears. At least let them be old enough to ask for it and be able to take care of themselves.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-14-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Mine have been pierced for about 34 years. Never any problems.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Mine are pierced. but I almost wish that I had never had it done. Almost. ��

As a result if the piercing I developed a nickel allergy (this happens often, I have plenty of company!) so of course I can only wear 14kt yellow gold and higher, and sterling silver (no rhodium plating either). No white gold - too high of a nickel content. Most watches are unwearable, but I found a company that only uses titanium in their watches and they are fine.

Honestly after so many years now, it's not that big a deal any more, but it would be nice to be able to pick up s cute pair of cheap earrings now and then...and be able to wear them. Oh well.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find it gross when the earlobes hang down from the weight. Looks very saggy and gross.
Yeah....ya gotta watch that, especially as you get older. Or have plastic surgery to "rejuvenate" them.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
I had my ears pierced when I was 18. I just like pretty earrings. No other piercings anywhere, many present health risks and look horrible to me. I agree with those who said that babies and young girls shouldn't have piercings until they're old enough to make the decision themselves.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:27 PM

22,450 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

As a result if the piercing I developed a nickel allergy (this happens often, I have plenty of company!) so of course I can only wear 14kt yellow gold and higher, and sterling silver (no rhodium plating either). No white gold - too high of a nickel content. Most watches are unwearable, but I found a company that only uses titanium in their watches and they are fine.

Honestly after so many years now, it's not that big a deal any more, but it would be nice to be able to pick up s cute pair of cheap earrings now and then...and be able to wear them. Oh well.
I, too, discovered that I had a nickel allergy. Interesting that it happens after a piercing. I just figured I always had it and only discovered it when I tried to wear "surgical steel" earrings.

I, too, can only wear 14 karat yellow gold and higher as well as sterling silver.

Another metal I discovered that I could wear without any difficulty is titanium. Have you tried that?

OTOH, my daughter never had a problem with metal allergies, despite having gotten her ears pierced.

My mother never got her ears pieced. My grandfather told her that he thought it was a barbaric practice so my mother followed his thinking. She only wore clip-on earrings. When she died, she had a huge collection of them. My Dad asked all the female relatives in the extended family if they wanted them. No one took them since we all had pierced ears.

When I was 14, my mother finally said I could get my ears pierced. She wouldn't take me to a doctor (at the time that was considered the best way to get it done). Instead, my Dad had a co-worker who would pierce ears for others. She came to the house with a huge sewing needle and a piece of cork. One of my earlobes made a popping noise like the sound of a balloon bursting which made my mother cry. My earlobes, as a result of non-professional piercing, ended up being uneven. The hole on my left ear sits a little higher than the right one.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Nickel irritates my ears in adulthood. It never did as a child, and I was about seven when I had my ears pierced. It's generally only in the past ten years that I've noticed a sensitivity in my ears when I wear something other than sterling earwires (I don't wear gold). It's not severe, just enough that I notice it if I wear earrings that have nickel wires. I still wear them, if I like the earrings. I've not noticed any other contact dermatitis elsewhere, but I rarely wear other jewelry. My wedding and engagement rings are white gold, and don't bother me at all. It's just an increased sensitivity in my ear piercings that's cropped up in adulthood.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Almost every woman of my age or so has pierced ears. I don't know how you buy earrings if you don't have pierced ears. We used to have to hunt for earrings for my mom who never got hers pierced.

I and my sisters all got our ears pierced, but I think we were older when we had it done. I was in college. I bought earrings that gradually pierced through the earlobe.

One of my lobes is pulled a bit but I don't care. I've worn pierced earrings now for over 60 years and I've never had medical problems with them.

When my generation began piercing their ears, it was sort of rebellious and an act of solidarity with other young women, I think. Our mothers did not usually have pierced ears. It is amazing to me how quickly pierced ears became standard for almost all women. Perhaps now, those who don't pierce their ears are the rebels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty