Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm a guy, but my biggest pet peeve is how stores stock shelves. They put small sizes on the top shelf and the XXL and larger sizes on the bottom shelf. HELLO! The short people can't reach the top shelf and the tall people have to stoop way down. Shelves should be stocked so tall/large sizes are on the top shelves and the small/short sizes are on the bottom shelf.
You reminded me of why I ordered jeans for my kids (before there was online anything). I hated rummaging through the jeans shelf. Much easier to order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I am a guy, but go shopping with my wife:

- sizes that fit. Everything is too big and baggy, they even pull back all the loose material on the mannequins to make the clothing look like it fits.

- end vanity sizes

- have things for shorter women, not every woman is 6' tall, I would say most are not. It is not a question of leg length, but waist height. It has been made worst with the new trend of medium to high waist pants. A low to very low waist looks like a medium waist on a 5' woman.

- have all sizes available for every product.

- stop with the asking if we want a credit card.

- asking if I need assistance once is great, asking again and again and following a person around is not. And with that, make sure there is a cashier around.

- the material and build quality has been running terrible. Only people clueless in clothing do not realize it.

My wife orders most of her things online now, she will order several sizes to see which one fits. Works great and no hassle, and can find a lot more things this way.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:59 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I don't shop in stores. I buy almost 100% of what I have on-line.
This for me as well.

In case of online, you have a better chance of finding a specific thing you may be looking for. If you know the name, brand, etc -all that's needed is to type it in. Just know your size / measurements.

Normally amazon is where I go since they usually have everything, and for decent prices. Only negative is the shipping is gradually getting higher. Back in the good days it was $2.99 minimum. Now it's bumped up to $6.99 minimum.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
For me it's the disorganization of stores that drive me crazy enough to mostly shop online. For example, Macy's has their clothes divided up into departments according to brands. If I am looking for a sweater in a certain color or look I have to go to each brand section to see what is available. I have to sift through racks of pants or dresses to find what I want. Then I have to hope they aren't out of my size (which happens at least 75% of the time). I've had sales clerks say "I can find it for you at another store" but I decline because why should I waste time driving clear cross town for something I can have delivered at my house? Online shopping just makes the whole process so much easier.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Ha, correct. Nordstrom associates most of the time, gives me the service I like even in the juniors section.
Love Nordstroms. The men's department is amazing.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
Since many department stores have adopted centralized checkout desks vs. having them located in the departments...did this contribute to the slow demise of the "department" store? Personal service went by the wayside in the name of cost cutting.

I shop at specialty stores such as Christopher Banks and Talbots (clothing) because they offer personal service and the associates are very attentive in serving the customer and helping with pulling merchandise from the floor and bringing it to the dressing room vs me having to get dressed and running out to the floor each time. The staff is trained to know the fit of the various fit options, they can pull co-ordinates together and "suggestive" sell accessories. They save ME time and I walk out with garments that fit. Priceless!

Mae

Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Needing more available sizes is probably #1. Also, stores need organization and of course lower PRICES!!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 PM

219 posts, read 163,017 times
I think it comes down to branding and quality. Some department stores have decent brands (IE Miss Me Jeans, Free People, etc) but most people think of department stores as having cheaper clothing versus the rest of the mall stores.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am a guy, but go shopping with my wife:

- sizes that fit. Everything is too big and baggy, they even pull back all the loose material on the mannequins to make the clothing look like it fits.

My wife orders most of her things online now, she will order several sizes to see which one fits. Works great and no hassle, and can find a lot more things this way.
Very astute of you about this! This has always bugged/puzzled me. I never understood why they do this. Okay, maybe it will catch your eye enough to try on since it looked good on the mannequin. But then when you get it into the fitting room and it just hangs there and doesn't look at all look it did pinned back on the mannequin, then not very motivated to buy it. Or perhaps women still do buy it, not recognizing that it is not fitting on them the way it did on the mannequin and just having that image of the mannequin in mind. Or maybe everyone gets their stuff tailored?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:46 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Actually, I've never understood why anyone in a city with accessible department stores would choose to go online. And that's apart from the fact that people should support jobs in their cities.

I can only conclude that women these days don't know, or don't care, about fit or about quality of fabric. That's confirmed by most of the women I see on the street, especially younger ones, wearing badly fitting cheap quality clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty