Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My dad used to wear a suit every day to work, and I have memories of being a kid a helping him polish his shoes for the next day. He had a kit with polish and brushes and chamois cloths. I don't imagine many people do that anymore.
I remember that! Having a shoeshine kit and a clothing brush used to be part of every professional man's grooming supply. And hats! Remember those? The total "Father Knows Best" look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I remember that! Having a shoeshine kit and a clothing brush used to be part of every professional man's grooming supply. And hats! Remember those? The total "Father Knows Best" look!

I STILL love hats! Fedoras or pork pies almost every day, and for casual/weekend wear an assortment of baseball caps.

But the one grooming thing I hate seeing ignored is men or women who wear clothes that don't fit. I'm so tired of seeing fat women in tight jeans or skimpy dresses, or skinny guys in baggy pants and shirts that look like boat sails when the breeze blows. Poorly fitting clothes make a person look like a major dork, male or female, and conveys the impression that they care little for themselves, let alone how they look to others. It seems like it's more and more common for folks to get the first thing that catches their eye in the store despite how it may look when they actually wear it.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
But the one grooming thing I hate seeing ignored is men or women who wear clothes that don't fit. I'm so tired of seeing fat women in tight jeans or skimpy dresses, or skinny guys in baggy pants and shirts that look like boat sails when the breeze blows. Poorly fitting clothes make a person look like a major dork, male or female, and conveys the impression that they care little for themselves, let alone how they look to others. It seems like it's more and more common for folks to get the first thing that catches their eye in the store despite how it may look when they actually wear it.
I think a lot of people don't really know how clothes are supposed to fit, or they don't realize that often clothes off the rack still need some tailoring help (like Jade mentioned in the OP.) When I was a kid (70s/80s) more people knew how to sew their own clothes, so they could have things made to fit. Even with the knitting resurgeance and DIY aesthetic, sewing hasn't really taken off.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
A generation of children being raised by parents (does anyone still have two married parents?) stuck in adolescence doesn't help; Mom keeps trying to look and act like her daughter and Dad is playing video Games with his baseball hat on backwards. The person who takes a little care and pride in how they appear are made out to be squares.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:27 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I remember a time you would never see someone wear chipped nail polish. Now people just wear their polish until it chips completely off. And the trend right now with jeans is frayed bottoms when you purchase them.
I don't wear nail polish for that reason. I can't stand when it chips. I have noticed that a lot lately on others.

I bought a pair of those jeans with frayed cuffs. I bought them to wear to work. The fray was very neat and trim. You could barely tell it was there unless you looked closely. Well, I washed the jeans and the hems became completely frayed. They looked awful. See the pic. I'm so upset. I was so excited to add them to my casual Friday jean collection. I guess I'll wear the jeans for running errands or very casual dates or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Sloppy style and appearance-img_0438.jpg  

Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think a lot of people don't really know how clothes are supposed to fit, or they don't realize that often clothes off the rack still need some tailoring help (like Jade mentioned in the OP.) When I was a kid (70s/80s) more people knew how to sew their own clothes, so they could have things made to fit. Even with the knitting resurgeance and DIY aesthetic, sewing hasn't really taken off.
A lot of people wear their pants too long. And not just casual pants like jeans.

I have seen too long dress pants that end up frayed at the bottom.

I think that people are not always totally sure about how form-fitting clothing should fit as well. You can wear skinny jeans at any size. But if you have chosen a pair of jeans that give you muffin top - it is the wrong size. To make the most flattering choice, make sure the top works for your shape. I am overweight, I wear skinny jeans all the time. I usually pair with a longer top, sweater or blazer. I wear a looser top when I have a slim bottom on and vice versa.

If you have a form-fitting dress on, you should choose the proper undergarments so you you do not have visible panty lines. Things should not be so tight breathing looks like a struggle.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

We still have a small kit, but it fits into a large ziploc bag. Both of us have several pairs of shoes which need polishing regularly, especially since it rains so much here. It only takes a few minutes and I like the fragrance of the polish.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Some of those are no-brainers, but you can pry my hairtie off my cold, dead wrist. If it's not in my hair already, that's where it lives. I seldom carry a bag, and pockets aren't a given. Plus, it's almost always in my hair.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I buy petite pants and they're ALL still several inches too long. I've ad several hemmed, but it doesn't always help. It's also not practical or affordable to have every pair of pants I own hemmed.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I don't wear nail polish for that reason. I can't stand when it chips. I have noticed that a lot lately on others.

I bought a pair of those jeans with frayed cuffs. I bought them to wear to work. The fray was very neat and trim. You could barely tell it was there unless you looked closely. Well, I washed the jeans and the hems became completely frayed. They looked awful. See the pic. I'm so upset. I was so excited to add them to my casual Friday jean collection. I guess I'll wear the jeans for running errands or very casual dates or something.
Oh right, I was wondering how those would wear. I never managed to get neatly frayed cutoffs when I was younger. I realize I don't really like much distressing. And I want my own distressing not some pre-fab version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty