Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

You only get once chance at a first impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:52 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
such a pity, the way people do not realize how bad poor fitting clothing really looks on them. the skinny guy buying baggy clothes to look bigger, and the fat guy who wears loose clothes to hide the chubby parts.

have some pride, wear clean clothes, proper fitting, freshly pressed, wear for the occasion. If you shirt has arm pit/ color stains, try to remove the stain or toss it! as for any stain as well.

if the whites are yellowed, toss it!

if it is out of style, toss it!

if your over 30, dont dress like if you just turned 20.

brown is an ugly clothing color, and so is a full neon outfit.

if your shoes are worn out in the back, toss it.

and tuck that shirt in, unless the shirt was made to fit that way. and know your measurements!

Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
have some pride, wear clean clothes, proper fitting, freshly pressed, wear for the occasion. If you shirt has arm pit/ color stains, try to remove the stain or toss it! as for any stain as well.
You have it totally and completely backwards.

I'm so proud of the way that I look, that my clothes don't even matter. It's people who are insecure about they way that they work that about their clothing.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:08 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Let's face it--millions of people can't really wear clothes all that well. Covering against the elements becomes the main objective for many. Looking at the men and women models you'd think that clothing designers would get a clue as to the impossible task of fitting the average person into their notion of well designed clothing. I've always been one who dressed for whatever the occasion was that day, working in the yard isn't going to elicit any brain churning decisions on what to wear, but, going out to a very nice restaurant, or going to a funeral surely warrants some discretion in one's sartorial choices. In spite of the nonsense in the fashion world, we all can dress for the occasion.

My former wife's memorial service was attended by some of her nieces and nephews, all were in their twenties and apparently had no idea as to what was considered appropriate attire for such an occasion. Some of the older people there were also oblivious to the normal customs regarding their choices in clothing, instead, they showed up appearing as though they may be attending a sports function. Others were wearing sport coats and slacks, dresses and heels, or just nice casual clothing that showed some inclination to appear somewhat "put together."

Every slob I've ever known was somehow inflicted with a kind of obliviousness when it came to social graces. That's not to say they were bad people, or, that they were not capable of being good company at times, but--that slovenly look about them said more than any other statement they could have made. People are judged by their looks as well as their behavior, every man, and woman, should know what constitutes good manners, good grooming, and what is appropriate attire.

I can't think of how many times my wife and I were out to dinner, theater, or any social gathering, and noted the men who accompanied their dates or wives, looking like they just came out of the garage and threw on a jacket--while the women were dressed up and obviously spent a good deal of time trying to look good for the evening's events. There will always be a large segment of slobs in our midst, and I really don't care what they say in defense of their lazy selves, their demeanor is speaking volumes about their sense of themselves.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My dad used to wear a suit every day to work,
My Dad used to put on at least a jacket and tie first thing every day of the week. Ghastly! Women once wore hats and white gloves to go out of the house. Thank God those days are gone.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
You have it totally and completely backwards.

I'm so proud of the way that I look, that my clothes don't even matter. It's people who are insecure about they way that they work that about their clothing.

So you would wear sweatpants and a pitted workout shirt to a funeral or wedding as long as you feel secure?

Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
So you would wear sweatpants and a pitted workout shirt to a funeral or wedding as long as you feel secure?
Oh yeah---I've seen the "secure" folks out there, we used to call them slobs, but now the PC term is obviously one that mirrors their state of confusion with regard to what it takes to feel secure..The funny thing about all this lies in the howling posts we see in the relationships forum--wherein these "secure" types are moaning about their lack of a social life......

Old 10-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Although I don't dress up that much, I really do like the old pictures from the 30's - 50's where people worked hard to look put together.

People getting off ships at Ellis Island, carrying everything they own in a suitcase, looked presentable. Even the children, all dressed nicely. Men standing in the welfare lines in the late 1930's depression, in grinding poverty, looked presentable.

It's just a pretty look, when people dress up.. I think it makes you behave differently too.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-09-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You're making an assumption that I'd go to a funeral or wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Oh yeah---I've seen the "secure" folks out there, we used to call them slobs, but now the PC term is obviously one that mirrors their state of confusion with regard to what it takes to feel secure..The funny thing about all this lies in the howling posts we see in the relationships forum--wherein these "secure" types are moaning about their lack of a social life......
Nothing says "secure" like insulting others.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
That's not to say they were bad people, or, that they were not capable of being good company at times, but--that slovenly look about them said more than any other statement they could have made. People are judged by their looks as well as their behavior, every man, and woman, should know what constitutes good manners, good grooming, and what is appropriate attire.
I really don't care what they say in defense of their lazy selves, their demeanor is speaking volumes about their sense of themselves.
So, you're all about judging a book by it's cover? Good people who don't meet your exacting standards are 'less than' because perhaps they place more importance on other, less superficial things? You care more about what someone wore to a funeral than the fact that they showed up? That's says quite a lot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty