Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
May I ask. When you first starting wearing them did you feel somewhat naked or too exposed? Does anyone ever look at your legs?
Guys look, DH says he sees guys doing it at the gym. It's not that I think I'm special, I see guys checking out the other women.

Guys will be guys, as long as they are not staring or leering. /shrug
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I wore leggings in high school in the early to mid-90s. Usually black leggings with a scoop-neck ballet top that wasn't as long as a full tunic, but hit the top of the thigh, maybe. Butt-covering, at any rate.

Leggings went out of style where I was for a period of time in the late 90s through mid 2000s, when wider legged pants, which had been coming in through the early 90s, were popular...carpenter jeans, flares, bootcuts, gaucho flare knit pants and capris, etc. The really wide legged JNCO type were popular with some, but not me...didn't go that wide. But, anyway, a fitted leg went out the window when these were more popular. They started to come back as skinnier jeans began to crop up, and as fitted workout pants became the female athletic attire of choice (when I was a college student in the 90s, men and women alike were wearing baggy nylon zipper bottom track pants with the Adidas stripes down the side that go swish-swish when you walk to the gym...fitted spandex leggings as de rigeur came later, once yoga became more mainstream in places it hadn't been before).

I've never felt naked when wearing fitted pants, because I'm not naked when wearing fitted pants, I'm wearing pants.

It does seem like the interest, here, is in the visible silhouette of women's bodies, versus innocent surveying about sartorial choices. Which is probably why you're getting the "it's creepy" comments. Nobody's saying it's unnatural to notice what others are wearing. Long, salacious, lingering gazes to women's backsides, no matter what they're wearing, is def. gonna get you branded a particular way, though, so don't be that guy.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wore leggings in high school in the early to mid-90s. Usually black leggings with a scoop-neck ballet top that wasn't as long as a full tunic, but hit the top of the thigh, maybe. Butt-covering, at any rate.

Leggings went out of style where I was for a period of time in the late 90s through mid 2000s, when wider legged pants, which had been coming in through the early 90s, were popular...carpenter jeans, flares, bootcuts, gaucho flare knit pants and capris, etc. The really wide legged JNCO type were popular with some, but not me...didn't go that wide. But, anyway, a fitted leg went out the window when these were more popular. They started to come back as skinnier jeans began to crop up, and as fitted workout pants became the female athletic attire of choice (when I was a college student in the 90s, men and women alike were wearing baggy nylon zipper bottom track pants with the Adidas stripes down the side that go swish-swish when you walk to the gym...fitted spandex leggings as de rigeur came later, once yoga became more mainstream in places it hadn't been before).

I've never felt naked when wearing fitted pants, because I'm not naked when wearing fitted pants, I'm wearing pants.

It does seem like the interest, here, is in the visible silhouette of women's bodies, versus innocent surveying about sartorial choices. Which is probably why you're getting the "it's creepy" comments. Nobody's saying it's unnatural to notice what others are wearing. Long, salacious, lingering gazes to women's backsides, no matter what they're wearing, is def. gonna get you branded a particular way, though, so don't be that guy.
I wore leggings (and sometimes stirrup pants--remember those?) during the same time period. It was the thing at my school to either wear them with boxy sweaters, long scoop neck tops like what you described in your post or with a college-logoed sweatshirt of one's choice layered with a turtleneck that matched both leggings and the sweatshirt.

The difference is that the fabric that is used in many brands of leggings today seems to be thinner than those that we wore in the past. (I still own a pair from that era, although I don't leave the house in them as they're pretty faded ) It's either that or women are wearing too small a size as I've noticed that they're often borderline transparent--almost as though they're wearing tights in a light denier and not leggings. I wonder if those women who wear the nearly see-through ones realize that the public can see as much as they do.

I only own one pair of leggings (black) and wear them with a favorite poor boy turtleneck sweater (short and form-fitting) and boots or ballet flats. It's a comfortable, slightly polished look that's great for traveling--especially if a light trench coat is worn as well.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 03-23-2019 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you mean with a short top or a long top that covers the butt?
I like where this thread is headed!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Was doing a scientific study. jk not really. I never noticed what pants women wore before, but all of a sudden yesterday I'm surrounded by women in leggings at the health food store (near a gym). On two young women they were as tight as possible (it seems to me). As a guy, couldn't help but notice.

In my youth women never wore tight stretchy pants that reveal their body shape up to their waist. And walked around in stores. If you had told me that would happen one day I would have said not possible.

Until these leggings I never noticed what a women wore. Nor, did I care about fashion details. I have this new interest in fashion (men and women) and notice what people are wearing now. It says a lot about them.
When was your youth? As I said, they were popular under long tunics in the 80's/early 90's, but in solid colors. But you said you didn't notice them, back then. Where are you from? I wonder if they were more of a regional thing.

And these days, some young women wear them as pants, not as something to go under a tunic, and show your legs only, not your rear. Some even wear them to work as pants, and sometimes get told off, that they're not proper office attire as pants (i.e. with only a waist-length top).

So there's some controversy about them, and about how to wear them correctly.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:56 PM

26,794 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When was your youth? As I said, they were popular under long tunics in the 80's/early 90's, but in solid colors. But you said you didn't notice them, back then. Where are you from? I wonder if they were more of a regional thing.

And these days, some young women wear them as pants, not as something to go under a tunic, and show your legs only, not your rear. Some even wear them to work as pants, and sometimes get told off, that they're not proper office attire as pants (i.e. with only a waist-length top).

Why would any man notice them, when they are covered with long tunics?

It's no different then, than any other piece of clothing.

Men are not known for getting into fashion details of women's clothing, unless they are gay)))

Old 03-23-2019, 08:09 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
In many women's defense, I am one of them. I go to the gym almost everyday.

Tonight Im wearing black/yoga pants leggings with a small flair by the ankles. Sportsbra and a light blue tank and a hoodie on top of that and running shoes. Im headed to the gym here shortly. I might stop by the store first and somebody might see me!!!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 PM

147 posts, read 91,145 times
Quote:
Thanks, I do not remember seeing leggings very often in the 80's/early 90's. I see them every day now.

Many do not cover the rear, or just barely. I've become so used to them around, I stop noticing. Until yesterday when I was surrounded by four of them at the health food store. But it's near a gym and that must be why. I go to that health food store almost every day. I will report back.
I do remember them back then because I hated them in high school. Im 48. in fact, I know of a cousin who never stopped wearing them in the 90's. I used to get annoyed at how "out of style " she looked. Now, I love them and wear them daily. I avoid the thiner material ones. They do exist with full coverage, that's what I buy.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 PM

147 posts, read 91,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Definitely not appropriate for work. Must be worn under a dress or tunic. Waist length shirt is a big no no.

Girls in schools wear them as pants with a short blouse. Not a proper way for an adult to wear anywhere where modesty is requested.

I wear them with long tops to work or a dress but if Im out shopping, I dont care as much to cover the rear.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
In many women's defense, I am one of them. I go to the gym almost everyday.
Me too.

But in my defense we have a system, we go to the gym, then we run errands, or an activity that's in the area, or grab a bite, then head home
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty