U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2019, 09:59 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,049 posts, read 3,335,976 times
Reputation: 8356

Advertisements

In my city at least, it was popular during the summer '58, and then disappeared.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/fashion.../chemise-dress


(...)


The most important decade of the twentieth century for the chemise dress, however, was the 1950s. Early in that decade, the Parisian couturiers Christian Dior and Cristóbal Balenciaga, along with other designers in Europe and the United States, began experimenting with unfitted sheath and tunic dresses, and belted chemise dresses continued to be popular. The major change, however, came in 1957, when both Dior and Balenciaga presented straight, unbelted chemise dresses that bypassed the waist entirely. Called chemises or sacks, these dresses were considered a revolutionary change of direction in fashion, and became the subject of heated debate in the American press; many commentators, particularly men, considered such figure-concealing styles ugly and unnatural, while proponents praised their ease and clean-lined, modern look. (The term "sack" may have been a reference to the eighteenth-century sacque, or sack-back gown, which Balenciaga revived in the form of chemises with back fullness, but it was also an apt description of the bag-like chemise silhouette.)


(...)




The typical male reaction in this tune from that summer:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Xyjf4aUCo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM
 
5,650 posts, read 1,998,826 times
Reputation: 13261
I remember 'shifts' from the 60's mostly...as my mom wore them from time to time. I was born in 57, so I don't have specific memory before early childhood.) But I have a fondness for 50's fashions, so I remember seeing pictures and pattern covers of these types of dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 10:55 AM
 
5,850 posts, read 3,351,241 times
Reputation: 20411
I was about ten years old when my mother's bridge club gave her a sack dress for her birthday. It was coral color and full in the back. The hem was quite narrow. I remember she bought matching earrings and wore it.

She also splurged and bought her first bottle of designer perfume to wear with it. Shalimar.

I think Dad and I giggled about it and that kind of inhibited her from wearing it as she didn't wear it for very long. It was quite a bold change for the conventional fifties defined waist. I remember thinking the shape of the dress was so unflattering that these men who were designing clothing for women must have been secretly having a laugh at their expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 AM
 
14,608 posts, read 13,269,235 times
Reputation: 6762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In my city at least, it was popular during the summer '58, and then disappeared.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/fashion.../chemise-dress


(...)


The most important decade of the twentieth century for the chemise dress, however, was the 1950s. Early in that decade, the Parisian couturiers Christian Dior and Cristóbal Balenciaga, along with other designers in Europe and the United States, began experimenting with unfitted sheath and tunic dresses, and belted chemise dresses continued to be popular. The major change, however, came in 1957, when both Dior and Balenciaga presented straight, unbelted chemise dresses that bypassed the waist entirely. Called chemises or sacks, these dresses were considered a revolutionary change of direction in fashion, and became the subject of heated debate in the American press; many commentators, particularly men, considered such figure-concealing styles ugly and unnatural, while proponents praised their ease and clean-lined, modern look. (The term "sack" may have been a reference to the eighteenth-century sacque, or sack-back gown, which Balenciaga revived in the form of chemises with back fullness, but it was also an apt description of the bag-like chemise silhouette.)


(...)


The typical male reaction in this tune from that summer:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Xyjf4aUCo

What I see in this video is downright ugly - American interpretation of the "sack dress" may be?
It looks more like... what's the name - "moo-moo dresses" if anything.



Because this is Balenciaga' "sack dress" of the 1950ies.


This is Hubert de Givenchy sack dress


Here is more of that "sack dress" look.



To me this is the ultimate Parisian chic and sophistication.


I am a big fan of this look.

Last edited by erasure; 04-01-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
54,163 posts, read 53,046,772 times
Reputation: 63720
Pics in the link would have been helpful. Not sure why they rambled on about the style but provided no pictures of what they were talking about.

I was born in 1958, so I was probably wearing sacks. hehehe.

I am one who prefers dresses that don't have defined waists but that's because I'm tall and the "waist" that fits the rest of you comes up three+ inches too high on me. I was thrilled to find a waistless dress for my niece's wedding a couple of years ago.

The YouTube song was funny, though.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 AM
 
14,608 posts, read 13,269,235 times
Reputation: 6762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pics in the link would have been helpful. Not sure why they rambled on about the style but provided no pictures of what they were talking about.

I was born in 1958, so I was probably wearing sacks. hehehe.

I am one who prefers dresses that don't have defined waists but that's because I'm tall and the "waist" that fits the rest of you comes up three+ inches too high on me. I was thrilled to find a waistless dress for my niece's wedding a couple of years ago.

The YouTube song was funny, though.

You can't see pics in my links?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,494 posts, read 1,725,827 times
Reputation: 6544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I remember 'shifts' from the 60's mostly...as my mom wore them from time to time. I was born in 57, so I don't have specific memory before early childhood.) But I have a fondness for 50's fashions, so I remember seeing pictures and pattern covers of these types of dresses.
Yeah, I remember my mom and sisters wearing 'Shifts" around then. I remember them being really popular for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,800 posts, read 13,660,347 times
Reputation: 28491
In the early ‘60s and on, into the decade, chemise dresses, and later trapeze dresses, were popular. I certainly wore them. As I recall we wore these with low heel shoes, possibly with bows across the fronts. Fashion at that time was influenced by British designers such as Mary Quant.

It all sort of flows together in my memory, but I think we wore looser dresses for several years, although there were permutations as years progressed. By the end of the decade everything was influenced by hippie style.

By the early ‘70s, women began wearing pants everywhere, and that caused all sorts of consternation.

Oh, how could I forget the mini skirt? They were around for quite awhile. Another source of consternation. Our dresses and skirts were short!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM
 
1,869 posts, read 912,817 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In the early ‘60s and on, into the decade, chemise dresses, and later trapeze dresses, were popular. I certainly wore them. As I recall we wore these with low heel shoes, possibly with bows across the fronts. Fashion at that time was influenced by British designers such as Mary Quant.

It all sort of flows together in my memory, but I think we wore looser dresses for several years, although there were permutations as years progressed. By the end of the decade everything was influenced by hippie style.

By the early ‘70s, women began wearing pants everywhere, and that caused all sorts of consternation.

Oh, how could I forget the mini skirt? They were around for quite awhile. Another source of consternation. Our dresses and skirts were short!

I remember the consternation regarding women wearing pants. I had to fight for the "right" to wear pants at my place of work. At first, I was only "allowed" to wear pants under my skirt on very cold days and was to remove the pants after I got to work. Then I began to "forget" to wear a skirt over my pants and had to wear the pants all day. Eventually they gave it up and stopped complaining about me wearing pants. I eventually got the personnel manager to officially okay pants for women. The crap women had to put up with in those days.


I do remember the sack dress, and then the shift dress. I rather liked them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 01:21 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,054 posts, read 13,926,392 times
Reputation: 21791
What goes around comes around. I had dresses with a similar silhouette in the eighties.
https://di2ponv0v5otw.cloudfront.net...64f1ceb281.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...oCx/s-l225.jpg
They change the emphasis from the waist to the hips, legs. and derriere. My favorite club dress was nearly identical to the red dress I linked to, and I got a very positive male response when I wore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top