Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know what?

Those slim, tapering pants that pretty much every dude is wearing now -from sweats to suits to jeans - look effin' ATROCIOUS to me. Ridiculous and stupid. Then add their giant waddly duck shoes that perch out from the tapered ankle...omg.

But somehow I've managed to mind my own business and refrain from telling friends, coworkers, strangers, and random celebrities this.

Bc what they choose to wear and what they like IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS. What they feel good in and enjoy is their thing. Rock on, dudes. You do you.

Let women do whatever without always having to throw your opinion out at her. It's getting so old.
David Ortiz (Big Papi) had a pair of those pants on the other night when he threw out the first pitch. NOT a good look for a top heavy guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
No.
Yes. That's what you said.

You didn't say "people". You didn't say "people of all genders." You didn't say "anonymous posters."

You said "men." By doing so, you explicitly shifted the topic from bad posting etiquette to Men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misandry

Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I have opinions are almost everything. When I walk around my neighborhood, I WISH someone would ask me my opinion on what to do with their house, their yard, their landscaping, etc.

When I see random people out and about, I have a running 'thing' in my head on what they could do different to "enhance" their appearance. Different shoes? Different hair color or style? Different jewelry? Hey, I have ideas. Just ask me!

(Sadly, no one asks me, so I have to keep all my good ideas up in my noggin. Probably best that THAT'S where they stay.)

Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sadly, women trash what other women are wearing, too.

I have literally never been in a group of women where anyone said anything negative about a guy's clothes.
I have literally never been in a group of men where anyone cat-called a woman. I suspect both our perspectives might be skewed.

To the point of the thread, I totally agree that everyone could shut the F U about how people dress, and I'll concede that women are more often targeted and there's a more troubling aspect to women's dress being a way to control them. But the guy commenting sounded like a garden variety ass hat.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:17 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
A few years ago, an Australian news anchor (male) did an experiment where he wore the same suit every day to point out the difference between how men and women on TV are criticized for the way they dress: https://people.com/celebrity/karl-st...rotest-sexism/

Quote:
Stefanovic said he got the idea after co-anchor Lisa Wilkinson did a segment on how some viewers have criticized her wardrobe. Only Stefanovic, Wilkinson and a producer knew what he was doing, which was exactly his point.

“No one has noticed; no one gives a s–––,” Stefanovic tells The Age newspaper. “Women are judged much more harshly and keenly for what they do, what they say and what they wear.”

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Pants for women all used to be high waisted pants. Maybe this guy is too young to know that the low waisted pants trend was just a trend that lasted for longer than it should have.

I've noticed that the newscasters where I live seem to have very personal interactions with their fans on social media, so that kind of comment wouldn't be very unusual for them, but maybe it is for her.
He chastised her twice because she wore high-waisted pants, on her FB page. This is not a normal interaction from a stranger.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A few years ago, an Australian news anchor (male) did an experiment where he wore the same suit every day to point out the difference between how men and women on TV are criticized for the way they dress: https://people.com/celebrity/karl-st...rotest-sexism/
I remember reading about this. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yes. That's what you said.

You didn't say "people". You didn't say "people of all genders." You didn't say "anonymous posters."

You said "men." By doing so, you explicitly shifted the topic from bad posting etiquette to Men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misandry
You know, I am not going to argue with you. Have it your way.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:43 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Don’t nearly all women feel a need to comment on how many men dress? I am a walking target for piles of criticism from what I read on here. I’m a middle aged guy who just about lives in T-shirts, shorts and, God forbid, sandals (comfortable and kinda fancy flip flops). SHUDDER!

I could care less what others think much less random women I don’t know, why can’t she just ignore the trolls?
If someone can get away with criticizing someone of the same and/or opposite sex dresses, then it is only fair if the same criticism gets applied to them. Now, how the criticism is done (the who/what/where/when/why/how) can be its own issue.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Angie Dickensen, on the Tonight Show With Johnny Carson, back in the 1970s:

Johnny: "Angie, do you dress more for women, or do you dress more for men?"

Angie: "I dress for women. I undress for men."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty