Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The cause is simply the aging process.
No, it’s also genetics, sun damage, and in my case, allergies that damaged the eyelids and under-eye skin, which is very fragile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 10:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
I had it done 14 years ago, at 75. Done for vision purposes, and was the best thing I ever did. Paid by Medicare and insurance. It is amazing how it improved my vision. Suddenly no having to turn my head up to see traffic lights when driving.

Still pass my drivers license eye test, with no glasses restrictions, though I do wear glasses to help prevent eye strain.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:03 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Are you talking about droopy eyelids? The cause is that it's genetic. It's just a cosmetic feature that some people don't like, but some do. Some actors got famous with them, like Roy Rogers, Lauren Bacall, Mitzi Gaynor, Clint Black, Shirley Maclaine, Renee Zellweger...
Kenny Rogers is a famous example. Most think he looked worse afterwards. Same with Zellweger. I think it's just a different look, not worse. But if they didn't like the squinty look, that's up to them.

I thought my eyes were too squinty, so I did the procedure at age 45, since I had the turkey neck too. People were shocked how good it looked without knowing what I'd done. That's a good face lift! Even the prez of the plastic surgeon's affiliation said so. Done in SoCal.

Two weeks I was dating a 30 year old who didn't know my age. Well worth it.

Looking back at some old pictures though, I realized it was just a different look. Mine wasn't vision related. It does brighten and open up one's visage. Takes years off.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
I think people are talking about two different problems. One is strictly cosmetic, with excess fat and skin removal (blepharoplasty). The other is a medical condition called ptosis, which is a weakened eyelid muscle that gives you a sleepy, eyes half closed look.

The former isn't covered by insurance unless it's part of ptosis surgery where docs can fiddle with the codes for insurance.

For both surgeries I'd only go to an oculoplastic surgeon.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Neighbor girl, Jeanie, had it done and re-done several times. She always looks surprised. Be careful.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:49 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,212 times
I have ptosis with some excess skin. The ocula surgeon expects that insurance will pay for that part of the surgery but not the skin removal.
It definitely is impairing my vision - my eyes feel so heavy at the end of the day - I sometimes will sit and push my eye lids up to get some relief.
When I was younger, if I had a few drinks, my eyes became non-existent!

Old 07-18-2020, 06:36 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
You could try botox above the brows to lift them which would provide some relief for a minor case

Old 07-18-2020, 11:34 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I think people are talking about two different problems. One is strictly cosmetic, with excess fat and skin removal (blepharoplasty). The other is a medical condition called ptosis, which is a weakened eyelid muscle that gives you a sleepy, eyes half closed look.

The former isn't covered by insurance unless it's part of ptosis surgery where docs can fiddle with the codes for insurance.

For both surgeries I'd only go to an oculoplastic surgeon.
Right. Not everyone's physical makeup is the same, as in the reference to Zellweger whose natural look to begin with was having more squinty eyes. Eyes are not all shaped the same, just as with other physical features.

In my case, I have had naturally rounded, open eyes, so to have one lid become half-closed is a real issue, being Ptosis.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Kenny Rogers is a famous example. Most think he looked worse afterwards. Same with Zellweger. I think it's just a different look, not worse. But if they didn't like the squinty look, that's up to them.

I thought my eyes were too squinty, so I did the procedure at age 45, since I had the turkey neck too. People were shocked how good it looked without knowing what I'd done. That's a good face lift! Even the prez of the plastic surgeon's affiliation said so. Done in SoCal.

Looking back at some old pictures though, I realized it was just a different look. Mine wasn't vision related. It does brighten and open up one's visage. Takes years off.
Kenny Rogers quite obviously had a lot of work done, not just the lid-lift.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

How much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking) to get your neck done and what does a procedure like that entail? It seems like it would be so easy....take some skin off and sew it back together, probably not though, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty