Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 08:13 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times

Advertisements

Of the many, many brands we carry, the pharmacists I work with generally recommend Aquaphor (and I can vouch for the healing properties for dry cracked skin), Cerave, Lubriderm, and AmLactin for scaly skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 08:26 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
I've used Aquaphor on my heels for a long time. It's fantastic but of course not relevant to this question/thread.

Thanks DubbleT for the tip about what to use on scaly skin. For several months I've developed some scaling on my face (sides of nostrils and between eyebrows). Probably an allergy to the face cream I've been using, or the Retin-A and/or Vitamin C is too strong in the formula.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:34 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've used Aquaphor on my heels for a long time. It's fantastic but of course not relevant to this question/thread.

Thanks DubbleT for the tip about what to use on scaly skin. For several months I've developed some scaling on my face (sides of nostrils and between eyebrows). Probably an allergy to the face cream I've been using, or the Retin-A and/or Vitamin C is too strong in the formula.
I don't believe AmLactin is recommended for facial use, too strong, it's an exfoliating body lotion. The aquaphor I have used on a child's face and lips, great stuff.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:38 AM

19,849 posts, read 12,119,711 times
Years ago Aveeno fit that description. Likely still does but it’s been many years since I used it. Current favorite is Grown Alchemist, the formula with a light citrus scent.

In general, look for shea butter in the ingredients.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:45 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
Whew that one is expensive. I may not have bought it even while working fulltime, but if it works well for issues and has a great scent then of course it would be worth it.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:58 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
For hand cream, I really like Gold Bond--it smells nice, it's effective, and there's something in it that keeps your hands from feeling greasy

Old 01-05-2023, 05:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,011,663 times
A recent cheap find while traveling is Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E Skin Care Cream, which comes in 4-oz plastic jars. It meets all of your criteria except withstanding several handwashings... although I've never known that to be a feature of any handcream. And, maybe it depends on how you wash your hands... how much soap you use, etc.

It can also be used on the face & is super cheap, sold at markets & Walmart. I bought it for less than $4 for TWO jars at Walmart. Having extremely rashy, sensitive skin that burns/itches with so many products, this one is great & emolient enough, which I love.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-...-pack/10314800

It's cheap enough to test it out. One caution is, it can be hard to find, so if you try it & like it, buy a few when you come across them. I never see more than 2-4 on the store shelf... I buy them all. Each jar lasts me 6-8 wks, but I use it mostly for face & hands, not all over.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:30 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,490,198 times
Curel. Non-greasy and leaves skin smooth and silky.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:49 AM

12,785 posts, read 15,010,201 times
Thanks again guys! Made note of a couple more.

For Nivea, the Breathable tyoe looked nice & light, not heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Years ago Aveeno fit that description. Likely still does but it’s been many years since I used it. Current favorite is Grown Alchemist, the formula with a light citrus scent.

In general, look for shea butter in the ingredients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Whew that one is expensive. I may not have bought it even while working fulltime, but if it works well for issues and has a great scent then of course it would be worth it.

The cheapest tube's $26, but the question is, will I like that Mandarin, Rosemary Leaf scent. It sounds nice, but hopefully, isn't strong.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
The only one that comes near to meeting your qualifications seems to be the Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream. I have a TON of them for eczema, but most are either too greasy or thick. That one you can use a tiny bit of and it goes a long way. It is usually only like $5, so if you don’t like it, it is not a big loss. I just bought a Vaseline hand cream one today to see how it works after pottery, with a plain generic Vaseline for before pottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty