Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 08:24 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Why does anyone wear perfume? To have a nice scent to smell nice, perhaps wear something their partner likes, to feel a little special, &/or as a small way of pampering. I'll wear what I like/want. Won't have time to have fiance' come w/ me to look around for fragrances. That can be next time around maybe. No, I don't wear perfumes often & haven't in eons, but I may this time if there's something I like.
That's why I asked. I gave up perfume a long time ago; no one else can smell it except a significant other who gets close* so there's little point in wearing it for other people, and neither can I once I've been wearing it a few minutes so I can't even wear it for my own benefit. But some people like to put on enough that it can be smelled by those within a radius of a few feet, or whatever. So, as I said, it really depends on what your goal is.

*And these days, most people don't want to smell someone else's perfume, no matter how close they are to the person, unless maybe family/close friends.

To the above-- note that with essential oils, the key is dilutedilutedilute. Even if it's one that's safe to wear without dilution, like lavender, you'll want to dilute in a carrier oil or something because the smell is *strong.* One drop is more than enough, certainly not more than one (if you're mixing various scents and just putting on a drop of this, a drop of that, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 09:04 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
If you like grassy notes look for vetiver as an ingredient and don’t shy away from some men/unisex fragrances with it -
what more symbolic than trying to share a fragrance your first evening as husband and wife?

If you find the one YOU like - as you are the one who may like “to mark your man” with it?

Iris root is one of my favorite ingredients as well for that “not there” scent
Cedar is another one, and no - it doesn’t smell like closet - very elegant

Check some descriptions of notes on the site fragrantica - as an example- could help you to narrow down your choice before going to the store?

Old 02-08-2024, 10:14 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Chanel Gabrielle would be a pretty wedding perfume, as would Cartier Basier Vole. Dior Pure Poison might be another one to try. But as mentioned before, fragrance is very personal so you should wear what makes you feel beautiful. Definitely go to the perfume counter and have some fun testing.
Thx for not correcting my auto-correct on Chanel I don't think there are any fragrances by Chanel that I don't like but I have to be careful with them. I usually buy the parfum (no auto correct!) and they are powerful but they stay with you all day. Chanel Paris-Riviera is a citrusy, feminine scent which is lovely and light and might work for the OP.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,839 times
Just bathe with Jean Nate.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:23 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
That's why I asked. I gave up perfume a long time ago; no one else can smell it except a significant other who gets close* so there's little point in wearing it for other people, and neither can I once I've been wearing it a few minutes so I can't even wear it for my own benefit. But some people like to put on enough that it can be smelled by those within a radius of a few feet, or whatever. So, as I said, it really depends on what your goal is.

*And these days, most people don't want to smell someone else's perfume, no matter how close they are to the person, unless maybe family/close friends.

To the above-- note that with essential oils, the key is dilutedilutedilute. Even if it's one that's safe to wear without dilution, like lavender, you'll want to dilute in a carrier oil or something because the smell is *strong.* One drop is more than enough, certainly not more than one (if you're mixing various scents and just putting on a drop of this, a drop of that, etc.).

I practice "spray in the air and walk through it" option. The scent is nicely distributed on my body and never overpowering.
Or dab a miniscule of perfume on neck, behind ears, wrists, and cleavage.
If you don't use perfume but eau, then dab a tiny bit of Vaseline on those spots, then apply the scent. It won't evaporate so quickly.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:18 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I am more bothered by scented candles and air fresheners. Most of them are truly toxic.

BTW: why is ok for men to wear aftershave??
As long someone doesn't "bathe" in cologne or try to mask body odors, I am ok with a very subtle hint of a pleasant scent.

(Air fresheners emit over 100 chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes — some of which are associated with different types of cancer). Generally people love those things

And YES - Fragrance is having a big moment. In fact, some may even say that 2023 was the year of fragrance, and wearing perfume will never truly go out of style. It's not an every day thing, but for special occasions.
In March 2023, around 42% of surveyed respondents in the US stated that they used perfumes and fragrances regularly.
https://www.statista.com/topics/3327...ket-in-the-us/

Last edited by elnina; 02-09-2024 at 06:29 AM..

Old 02-09-2024, 06:56 AM

256 posts, read 114,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: why is ok for men to wear aftershave??
Men have really reduced their use of aftershave - maybe in an effort to be more considerate of those around them???

Old 02-09-2024, 08:29 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many women STILL wear fragrance...especially in closed environments where others are affected. In the workplace, most offices and shared spaces have banned fragrance due to people's sensitivities.

I don't wear it...I don't want to risk triggering discomfort and exposing everyone else to a toxic scent.

Ultimately, it's your personal choice. IMHO, on your wedding day confidence and comfort in your own skin matters more than wearing fragrance.
I also quit wearing it because my husband is overly sensitive to it. In the OP's case, in a crowded church with who knows how many brides, I probably wouldn't think about wearing any.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:08 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Thanks a lot for the rest of the posts guys! I'm about to go today to the store to look around & if I end up w/ nothing, so be it. But I'm sure I can at least get a few samples in which that's good enough for what I need it for & I wouldn't have had to pay a thing, ha! Whatever I end up w/, I'll post back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Thanks for this other post & I hope I didn't sound harsh in my reply, but yes those are the only reasons I can think of of why anyone wears perfumes. True, EOs are strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
If you like grassy notes look for vetiver as an ingredient and don’t shy away from some men/unisex fragrances with it -
what more symbolic than trying to share a fragrance your first evening as husband and wife?

If you find the one YOU like - as you are the one who may like “to mark your man” with it?

Iris root is one of my favorite ingredients as well for that “not there” scent
Cedar is another one, and no - it doesn’t smell like closet - very elegant

Check some descriptions of notes on the site fragrantica - as an example- could help you to narrow down your choice before going to the store?

Thanks, but I'm about to get ready to go to the store now, so I'll just look around & if I end up w/ nothing at all, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Just bathe with Jean Nate.

Ha, yep, I have a bottle of that already right now. No actual stores seem to have it that I've seen...I guess it's just online & even that seems scarce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I practice "spray in the air and walk through it" option. The scent is nicely distributed on my body and never overpowering.
Or dab a miniscule of perfume on neck, behind ears, wrists, and cleavage.
If you don't use perfume but eau, then dab a tiny bit of Vaseline on those spots, then apply the scent. It won't evaporate so quickly.

True, knew about the spray in the air & walk through it & dab in the pulse areas tips. Never heard about the Vaseline tip, so thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many women STILL wear fragrance...especially in closed environments where others are affected. In the workplace, most offices and shared spaces have banned fragrance due to people's sensitivities.

I don't wear it...I don't want to risk triggering discomfort and exposing everyone else to a toxic scent.

Ultimately, it's your personal choice. IMHO, on your wedding day confidence and comfort in your own skin matters more than wearing fragrance.

I know I personally don't wear scents at the workplace because you don't know who has allergies, etc. & to me, work isn't the place to really wear perfumes (plus I've worked remotely for the last just about 10 yrs so no one's smelling anything anyway.) Of course I'm just asking in this thread for the wedding day ONLY.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:12 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Pachouli?

Just kidding, but definitely would be a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty