Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Most stockings are 'stay up' but you can still get those really nice silk ones that need the garter to hold them up. Stockings these days come in so many different varieties. Fishnet, spiderweb, lace, that line going down the back, stay up or garter needed, or plain.

i HATE the 'stay-up' kind. They make my legs itch and I hate the unsightly bulge around the top. This is where I buy mine:

fully fashioned stockings, lingerie, girdles, corsets and bullet bras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Pantyhouse are just seriously wrong. I have never worked in upper management corporate type jobs so I would not know what the rules are for that environment, etc but there is no reason why moderate length skirts and dresses can't be worn with bare legs and modest open toe type shoes. I wore this uniform all the time to my jobs at Discover and eBay with no problems and no feelings of "my legs are bare".

Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My legs look fabulous, with a little real tan, a little self tanner, well shaved and my toenails painted to match my fingernails, I get alot of lingering looks. Panty hose are like prisons for your legs.
Agree completely here. I personally think my bare, tanned legs look a million times better than they would with hose on.

During the winter - self tanning lotion does the trick. I realize not all women have the legs to pull it off but when you can......

Old 06-10-2008, 03:47 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Panty hose are like prisons for your legs.
I'm dying here. That's awesome. I second that. Spanx does not work for me. Just like everything else, they roll down on me. Maybe they're designed for people with flat stomachs, but this mother of two will probably never see that again.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I'm dying here. That's awesome. I second that. Spanx does not work for me. Just like everything else, they roll down on me. Maybe they're designed for people with flat stomachs, but this mother of two will probably never see that again.
You know, maybe I am letting things go but I just don't care that much anymore. You can take me as you find me, if you don't like what you see then on your way with you.

Panty hose will NEVER be a part of my life again. Even if I were insane enough to get married again, it will be on a beach, no shoes allowed.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Hehe the folks with the flat tummies don't need Spanx!

I've never tried Spanx. They remind me too much of the dreaded girdles of my youth /shudder. I earned this belly; it is what it is and at this late date, I doubt it's going anywhere. No amount of Spanx will help at this point, I'm afraid .

But (haha pun intended) as long as we're on the Spanx subject, I'm curious to know if they roll up at all? In other words, I know they start out looking like biker shorts (another fashion look I can't pull off ). By the end of the day, do the Spanx legs roll up and end up looking like briefs?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Actually, it is completely appropriate to go to a business meeting w/out stockings on...as long as you are well dressed and, in this country, nicely shaven. If it's color you're after or you have unsightly spider veins, some self tanner will usually do the trick.

However, if it's stockings you love, why not try the REAL ones...with a garter belt? I find that they are so much softer, easier to wear, and less visible under clothing. And I love the line down the back and fishnets on occasion.
WIsh you were right on that, but most definitely *not* appropriate to wear a suit without hose- at least not in any of the professions (law, banking, etc). You would be a fool to show up hoseless at a job interview or to court, or to a client meeting!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Saw a piece on Good Morning America this morning regarding pantyhose in the workplace. It seems that Mid American Credit Union in Wichita, KS has mandated that all female employees wear pantyhose (I assume that rule is only in effect when wearing skirts or dresses). The women claim it's an archaic rule and should be abolished. Pantyhose are "hot" (and not in a good way) and "itchy", so they say.

Apparently someone at The Wall Street Journal agrees (side note: doesn't WSJ have anything more important to look into, given the current economy?). Pantyhose sales have declined since the mid-90s, they say.

Since I wear mostly slack or jeans, I rarely wear pantyhose anymore but I always wear it (them?) when wearing dresses or skirts. I don't find them uncomfortable at all. And they are excellent for preventing thigh friction (not everyone is fortunate enough to have thighs that don't touch). Am I some sort of dinosaur? Am I destined to carry the entire pantyhose industry on my legs?

GMA is now running some sort of pantyhose challenge (guys, get ready !). Here's a link to the GMA info. You can also follow a link from there to watch the video piece that aired this morning (click the "Watch: Pantyhose in the workplace" link on the aforementioned GMA page).

So, what do you all think? Are (is?) pantyhose dead? Say it ain't so!!!
They have been dead for quite a while now. Nothing will date you as middle-aged more than wearing pantyhose. You can wear off-black hose at night with cocktail dresses but stockings with a garter-belt would be even better.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
they Have Been Dead For Quite A While Now. Nothing Will Date You As Middle-aged More Than Wearing Pantyhose. You Can Wear Off-black Hose At Night With Cocktail Dresses But Stockings With A Garter-belt Would Be Even Better.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
It all depends where you work. I don't wear them during the summer months, but I live in them the other months. I wear skirt suits so you must put them on to complete the outfit. I love the sexiness of hoisery and won't ever take a complete break from them. How could one wear high heels with stockings. Plus my ex-boyfriend was turned on by women with stockings and high heels. He loved to see me get dressed in the morning. Knowing that he was pleased kept me in the hoisery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty