Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times

Advertisements

Flip flops are a little bit annoying because people who wear them also do the "flip flop shuffle" they must think its not noisy enough smacking those shoes so they must shuffle their feet. It must be to hard to pick up the foot with each step. More sound affect if they shuffle while smacking. My daughter is the same way, when I go shopping with her all I hear is shuffle, smack, shuffle, smack. I'm always telling her PICK UP YOUR FEET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I absolutely agree with you! In fact, I started a thread about flip flops several months ago that got moved to the Fashion forum and then grew to 15 pages long! Call me old fashioned, call me whatever you want, but I think walking around everywhere with flip flops is unsightly, tacky, and quite frankly, kind of douch-y, especially when guys wear flip flops. Be a man, throw on some shoes for a change! Unfortunately, I've spent the last five years in Phoenix and LA, two of the flip flop capitals of the world!
What about the men who wear crocs, I wish that trend would go away. Everyone is wearing those ugly multi colored holey rubber clogs.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 AM

283 posts, read 760,073 times
i was just about to say the same thing about crocs.. surely they are worse than flip flops! the flip flop phenomenon is all over the world i think, i live in Australia and in the summer women dont wear any other shoe. funniest sight is women in business suits wearing flip flops, i just wonder if they have looked in the mirror before leaving the house? when i was travelling in the US earlier this year i was hoping that the flip flop thing didn't happen there but alas, they're everywhere!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
I really have more important things to do with my time and life than worry about what other people are wearing on their feet.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I love "aversion" threads! LOL, people's comments can be really funny. I don't like looking at ugly feet myself, and frankly I have some kind of strange aversion to them. If I had ugly feet I wouldn't expose them to the public, but I don't get annoyed at other people's bare feet, ugly or not. I think people wear flip-flops or sandals for comfort, not generally as a mean to showing off their beautiful (or not) feet. I do find the flip-flop sound a tad annoying, and I do think that sometimes flip-flops are inappropriate (such as a dressy occasion), but whatever. I have flip-flops myself, in all colors and styles, I find them very comfortable to wear on casual outings.

And no, I don't like Crocs, but again, whatever.

My dh has an aversion to people whose pant hems are so long they drag the ground when they walk. He used to give our teenage daughter such a hard time, calling her jeans "sponges", and telling her to change her pants when she got home because she'd been sucking up spit/vomit/feces with her pants, lol.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Living in MN I wear them all summer/fall/late spring. Winter always in the house.

There are lots worse things I've witnessed that are repulsive-i.e. celluite butts in tight spandex, men in tank tops.

Last edited by LaceyEx; 08-30-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 AM

79 posts, read 331,271 times
Are you serious? I live in Florida and wearing flip flops is the regular attire for almost everyone, EVEN THE MEN. Maybe those of you that don't think it is appropriate just have ugly feet. There is nothing wrong with wearing flip flops. Do you wear shorts? Do you where short sleeve shirts? Maybe I don't want to see you white legs or white arms. Maybe I don't need to see that much of your skin. When it's hot outside flip flops are the only thing that are comfortable. Who wants to take their shoes off and have stinky sweaty feet. Who wants to walk on the beach in shoes just to have shoes full of sand? Find something more important to be annoyed with than being upset about people wearing flip flops, they are more comfortable.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
I personally don't wear flip flops. I prefer leather sandals when not at work, or barefoot. I don't really care what people wear on their feet, although I will say I am developing a hatred for those kid's shoes that whistle or is it squeek when a kid walks. Here at the mall they are always clomping down the hall whistling/squeeking and also screeching along with it. It probably wouldn't be so bad, but our mall is usually pretty empty, especially nowdays, and it echos throughout the whole area.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I wear flip-flops or thong sandals in appropriate settings--I wouldn't wear them to a restaurant or nightclub, church or meeting.
I will wear them to Wal-mart (I'm wearing shorts,...what else is good for summer??) or the grocery store.
And my feet are not disgusting!!!! Toes are well-groomed and feet are clean!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I cant stand that thing in between my toes so I dont wear flip flops -they are flat and bad for your feet - but all summer long I wear Birkenstocks - not the hippy kind but the newer sexy styles.

Flip flops were big in the 70's when I was a kid - they cost about $1 the fad goes in and out - dont worry it will soon be "out" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty