Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Anyone know who makes or if its possible to find good old blue jeans that don't have spandex and aren't super lowcut? I'm a middle-aged, size 10 woman, who remembers when jeans felt great, not because they were super comfy, but because they actually held you in and you couldn't see pantylines, cellulite, saddle bags through them! Now, I swear if I could push and squeeze my pear shaped size 10 body into a size 4 pair of stretch/spandex jeans, an hour later they'd be baggy on me! I hate stretch jeans and thats ALL I can find. I also have a hard time finding higher waisted jeans. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks.
Actually, it's probably not the stretch you hate, it's the fabric quality. I am a firm believer in stretch, for the simple fact that it fits better, but I'm not talking about the paper-thin, whicker-washed crap they sell at the teeny bopper stores in the mall. Stacey and Clinton on What Not To Wear feel the same way: a little bit of stretch in a dark heavy denim = good. A lot of stretch on a thin denim with faux 'wear' = bad.

You'll probably have to invest in some good quality jeans for around 50-100.00 to get the perfect feel. Diesel makes a GREAT jean. Some of the higer priced Levis are also really good. But beware: Not all Levis are created equal!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Actually, it's probably not the stretch you hate, it's the fabric quality. I am a firm believer in stretch, for the simple fact that it fits better, but I'm not talking about the paper-thin, whicker-washed crap they sell at the teeny bopper stores in the mall. Stacey and Clinton on What Not To Wear feel the same way: a little bit of stretch in a dark heavy denim = good. A lot of stretch on a thin denim with faux 'wear' = bad.

You'll probably have to invest in some good quality jeans for around 50-100.00 to get the perfect feel. Diesel makes a GREAT jean. Some of the higer priced Levis are also really good. But beware: Not all Levis are created equal!!
I don't like stretch jeans at all but I have to agree here... when I CAN tolerate them it's in the better quality, heavier denim.

I also recommend the Gap. I know I've bought all cotton jeans there, but then again I remember not being pleased with their longevity.

I know it's a pain but I prefer thrift stores, especially helpful when something you like isn't currently "in" but was "in" fairly recently.... those that follow trends will have dumped last season's whatever at the thrifts. So I can get them for $5, what they paid $60 for.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I don't like stretch jeans at all but I have to agree here... when I CAN tolerate them it's in the better quality, heavier denim.

I also recommend the Gap. I know I've bought all cotton jeans there, but then again I remember not being pleased with their longevity.

I know it's a pain but I prefer thrift stores, especially helpful when something you like isn't currently "in" but was "in" fairly recently.... those that follow trends will have dumped last season's whatever at the thrifts. So I can get them for $5, what they paid $60 for.

Yeah, Gap jeans just don't last do they? I wonder why? Old Navy is part of The Gap Corp. and their jeans actually last longer? Wierd.

Thrift stores are the bomb! But I just can't stand the smell of moth balls. So I send my mom in my place. Hee hee.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Yeah, Gap jeans just don't last do they? I wonder why? Old Navy is part of The Gap Corp. and their jeans actually last longer? Wierd.

Thrift stores are the bomb! But I just can't stand the smell of moth balls. So I send my mom in my place. Hee hee.
Ewww... I hate that smell too. My grandma uses mothballs in her stored stuff. Instant migraine for me!

The thrifts here don't smell like that though...sometimes they smell kind of funky, like "other people's funk" funky, and I usually avoid those. There's a vague "thrift store" smell that my children recognize instantly that isn't bad, per se, but isn't pleasant either. It's just the "thrift store smell". lol.

I always take hand sanitizer along too, for a long day of thrifting.

And yeah, I've noticed the exact same thing about Old Navy, and now that you mentioned it I remember that my Old Navy low rise jeans are much higher than any other "low rise" I've bought, so maybe that's a good option for the OP, because their "low rise" usually cover my belly button!

I am one that prefers low rise... not super low, but closer to fitting the hips, because of my not-going-away post kid pooch... I don't wear belly-baring shirts or anything and the lower rise is way more comfy on me when I am sitting or bending or whatever.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 AM

347 posts, read 1,095,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Anyone know who makes or if its possible to find good old blue jeans that don't have spandex and aren't super lowcut? I'm a middle-aged, size 10 woman, who remembers when jeans felt great, not because they were super comfy, but because they actually held you in and you couldn't see pantylines, cellulite, saddle bags through them! Now, I swear if I could push and squeeze my pear shaped size 10 body into a size 4 pair of stretch/spandex jeans, an hour later they'd be baggy on me! I hate stretch jeans and thats ALL I can find. I also have a hard time finding higher waisted jeans. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks.
I'm your size... and I love my Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Not low cut...just have a bit of stretch... just enough for the days you feel bloated ... but still fit, and hold you in- like you want them to. I love the little stretch since I can sit/kneel without if binding at the knee.

I got all of mine at Costco for about $20 each. They cost about $50 at the regular stores. If you haven't tried GV jeans, you should! You will LOVE them, IMO... I hope you find something you like. Good Luck!

Also, L.L.Bean Jeans are awesome too... but may blow a hole in your pocket , figuratively, that is. They do cost a pretty penny.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Ewww... I hate that smell too. My grandma uses mothballs in her stored stuff. Instant migraine for me!

The thrifts here don't smell like that though...sometimes they smell kind of funky, like "other people's funk" funky, and I usually avoid those. There's a vague "thrift store" smell that my children recognize instantly that isn't bad, per se, but isn't pleasant either. It's just the "thrift store smell". lol.

I always take hand sanitizer along too, for a long day of thrifting.

And yeah, I've noticed the exact same thing about Old Navy, and now that you mentioned it I remember that my Old Navy low rise jeans are much higher than any other "low rise" I've bought, so maybe that's a good option for the OP, because their "low rise" usually cover my belly button!

I am one that prefers low rise... not super low, but closer to fitting the hips, because of my not-going-away post kid pooch... I don't wear belly-baring shirts or anything and the lower rise is way more comfy on me when I am sitting or bending or whatever.
Old Navy has several rises...I like that.

Yeah, I like medium rise jeans. Bellow the belly-button but not below the 'loose post-pregnancy skin'. My very favorite pair of jeans are actually Forever 21 brand. I bought them a couple of years ago. They're dark wash, slightly frayed on the pockets, and just the right rise. But alas, I have bought two more pairs from them since and they are not the same at all. So I can't sing their praises anymore.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Old Navy has several rises...I like that.

Yeah, I like medium rise jeans. Bellow the belly-button but not below the 'loose post-pregnancy skin'. My very favorite pair of jeans are actually Forever 21 brand. I bought them a couple of years ago. They're dark wash, slightly frayed on the pockets, and just the right rise. But alas, I have bought two more pairs from them since and they are not the same at all. So I can't sing their praises anymore.
I hate when they change their formula or whatever. I'm a borderline plus size gal, sometimes a 14, sometimes a 16 and sometimes an 18..... anyway for years I wore Lane Bryant low rise 16s, 100% cotton, perfect curvy fit. I had one pair that lasted from the time my son was born until he was five and then the zipper broke... that's pretty good wear for the money! Then they switched ALL their jeans to stretch and I couldn't stand it, so I went looking on ebay and bought some "new old stock" that had the same exact style number and "name" and same size, from LB, but they were just not the same in how they fit me.

I've kinda given up on jeans these days and tend to go for heavy cotton docker type pants.. lower rise, flat front, black, gray, khaki.. they work for office jobs and for hanging out.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
I actually like stretch jeans. Most of the time, I wear comfy-fit pants that make me look like I have no shape. No matter where I seem to go, if the pants fit my waist, then they're baggy over my lack of hips or booty. My lack of rear and hips attributes to the fact that my hip measurement is only 4 inches greater than my natural waist measurement!

Stretch jeans are the only thing I can wear that actually flatter my lack of bottom curves. In fact, I wear stretch all over to flatter my over-abundance of top curve and lack of bottom curves.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,458 times
I love some some lycra or spandex in my jeans, I tried a pair of regular jeans last year and just did not like them.
Land's End is my recommendation. Some Sears stores carry a decent selection of Land's End clothes, you may be able to find the jeans there. Also if you order from them and it doesn't work out or you need an exchange you can take them back to Sears and re-order with no extra shipping charges.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I am wearing Jones NY jeans, wh/ have a little stretch to them. They look very upscale, fit well, and I get compliments on them (other women ask me what brand they are). These are not inexpensive, but they are worth the extra $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty