Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:27 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
someone get that old hag a cheeseburger.
lmao!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I can't help but to think that some of the same folks who are defending this little old lady would not be so thrilled if it were either a young girl or young adult wearing next to nothing on the beach near their children.
Its the beach! Who cares what anyone wears because most EVERYONE looks like crap in it.

Children next to a bikini? Oh the horror!

What is the 1912 is going on in here?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Its the beach! Who cares what anyone wears because most EVERYONE looks like crap in it.

Children next to a bikini? Oh the horror!

What is the 1912 is going on in here?
Well, I know I look like crap wh/ is why I don't walk around in a bikini, LOL.

The woman looks nasty, IMHO. And I thought that is what we did on this forum - state our opinions, LOL. So IMHO, she looks awful - and the bikini emphasizes the awfulness.

What happened is some people feel it is wrong to judge others. I think anytime someone is exhibiting themselves in such a fashion, they are asking for people to judge them. So I did.

That is what happened.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
I can't help but to think that some of the same folks who are defending this little old lady would not be so thrilled if it were either a young girl or young adult wearing next to nothing on the beach near their children.
Many adults outside of mainstream America simply don't think it's that big of a deal.
At the pool on Ios, in Greece, we observed a pretty mom sunning herself with no top on, casually talking to her 10-12 year old sons.
Other lovely young women there were similarly (un)dressed.
My fifth-grade son played it cool yet enthusiastically took it all in.
I tend to agree with Pitt Transplant that few people look 100% perfect at the beach, and as Anifan says, a bikini can emphasize it.
But the ones who *do* look good raise few eyebrows, because it's just not that big of a deal.
I suppose, when it comes to fashion and beauty, the beach is sort of an equilizer.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Good points, BlueWillow.

In Europe, we see a lot of men in Speedos. ICK!!!! It makes me cringe b/c just as a bikini leaves nothing to imagination . . . speedos just emphasize belly fat and imperfections. Gorgeous people will be noticed - male or female - regardless of what they wear. I can assure you, if Salma Hayak goes on the beach, muumuu or bikini - she is so beautiful - she would be noticed (in a positive way).

For most of us, who have imperfections . . . we want to fit in but not draw attention to our flaws. We don't want to be a spectacle.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Many adults outside of mainstream America simply don't think it's that big of a deal.
Having grown up in Europe, nudity doesn't bother me. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same folks who decried the whole Janet thing are sticking up for the anorexic, over tanned, barely covered granny. That's all. I also wonder if these folks would be as vigorously defending a fat woman in the same outfit. Somehow, I doubt it...

Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Having grown up in Europe, nudity doesn't bother me. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same folks who decried the whole Janet thing are sticking up for the anorexic, over tanned, barely covered granny. That's all. I also wonder if these folks would be as vigorously defending a fat woman in the same outfit. Somehow, I doubt it...
That's a very good point.
I dunno, as Pitt says, most of us don't look that great on the beach.
I guess some worry about it more than others?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
This is just GROSS!!!! It's terrifying!!!! I'll probably have nightmares tonight!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Well, that outfit is not flattering to her and perhaps she doesn't know that. Or she could be on a rare outing while fighting terminal cancer.

I reserve judgment.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,118 times
OK, I felt a twinge of guilt after my harsh criticism of the adipose- deficient ( is that PC enough for y'all?) older woman pictured on this post. DreamWeavin thought we were being super mean in a way we wouldn't be to an overweight woman.
I thought up two scenarios for this ladies day at the beach, lo and behold the thread is still going, so here they are for consideration:

1.) Marilyn has been a loving , giving person her whole life. A former beauty queen who worked for charity, mother of a grown son, devoted wife to Frank, her husband of 42 years. She discovered she has terminal cancer four months ago. She is on a trip to the South of France with her family. She is thin and weak, but looks better with some sun. She has been offered medicinal pot, reluctantly uses some and goes shopping with her grandaughter and Frank.They hit a few stores after lunch and on a lark she and her grandaughter tried on these crazy skimpy swimsuits. "You look more like a supermodel than me, Nana Mari!" says Katie, who inherited her figure from Frank's genes. They howl and howl with laughter. She shows Frank the suit and he fondly remembers the willowy beauty of her youth. " I am getting you that swim suit and you wear it today and be the most beautiful lady on the beach!" says Frank, eyes filled with tears.
And so she does. It's a good day to be Marilyn.

2.) Gloria has prided herself on her face and figure her whole life, and she has no intention of letting herself go at the age of 65. Some consider her eccentric, and she can hear the whispers as she passes people, especially women. " They are jealous that I have a figure better than most 20 year olds",she thinks.
Today she is on vacation in France, enjoying the sun , the young men, and the tails. Her latest companion is Harry, not much to look at, but wealthy. She downs one more Cosmo and chooses her suit from the many- her tiniest thong from her Rio "87 "trip. She notices it is sagging more than it used to, or is it her? She pops a Xanex. "I've still got it!" she decides. "At least I will look good compared to his fat daughter!"
It's a good day to be Gloria.

Last edited by fabumom07; 12-05-2008 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.