Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Funny, I'm more turned off by a guy who asks me to hold his stuff because he's run out of pocket-space.
Yeah, that can be annoying, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
When it's cool out, I do love to wear my Scott-E-Vest, which is pretty much a wearable backpack. Great for traveling, amazing the stuff it will hold.

When riding a motorcycle to work, frequently I would have my "stuff" in a backpack - lunch, laptop, papers I am working on, etc. Now I have a Chase-Harper motorcycle type briefcase, with integral bungee cords that self-store in zippered compartments.

When I am on the road working, always have a laptop backpack with laptop and other workday essentials in it, with airlines restricting me to a single "carry" bag and a "personal item" it would be hard to handle the computer gear necessary for meetings etc. otherwise.

Not to name-drop, brag, or promote any personal interest in the above brands, which I don't have anyway. Just sayin what works for me.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,152,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Yeah - it is not very eye pleasing, thats for sure.

Practicality comes before aesthetics for me though.
The two aren't mutually exclusive

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,946,644 times
Wow I've only seen such things on college campus and I always snickered at them...

All I need is a wallet, keys and maybe a cell phone.... goes into pockets.

Anything else was carried in arms, not in some slung over the shoulder thing. And I've never seen a "murse" before....weird. The only backpack I saw that I respected was my roomate's and it had NATIONAL GUARD stamped on the back.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,710,949 times
What about gym bags, are those OK? I took one into work twice in the past few weeks. One day I needed it, because I wouldn't have wanted to WORK soaked to the skin. I brought a full change of clothes in it, in case I got caught in the rain walking to work. Maybe I should have eschewed the gym bag, and just carried the stuff in plastic shopping bags--or is that "wrong" too?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 AM

285 posts, read 928,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
The manscaping thread made me think about how many men I see carrying backpacks over one shoulder and "man purses" (for lack of a better word - what the heck are they called anyway?) They are everywhere in the under 35 crowd here. I see Ipods being pulled out of them, but have to wonder what else is in there? Has anyone else noticed this trend?
I use a handbag or purse, I don't call it a murse...it is what it is, a handbag! I got tired of having, uncomfortable, bulging, overloaded pockets and with everything else I want to bring or carry piled up on the seat of my car. Then as I'm carrying that stuff in my hands or where ever else I can carry, to do something I have to make a big pile.

So I decided I had enough of being miserable, with my wife between her and I we found a ladies handbag at Target that didn't look feminine. All leather, backpack style. So, I'm good to go! Now I'm not miserable anymore with that big fat wallet stuck in my back pocket that hurts to sit on when I sit on a park bench.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
To amend my post above, I will say that I have been tossing around the thought of buying one of these:
http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...s/0403k_01.jpg
http://brigadearmory.com/catalog/ima...0versipack.jpg

Is that a manpurse?

I like that bag! How much?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You should only be carrying a backpack if you're going to school and I see quite a few guys carrying man purses and I automatically think GAY!

Here's are some picks of various male celebs and every day guys carrying them:

man purses - Google Image Search
What I find interesting is that you automatically think a guy with a handbag is gay not knowing what that person is like. I know I have a problem of bringing judgement on to people that I see with what they wear or what they do, so I'm not perfect, but I tried to be objective in my thinking and am willing to give those people my time to know and understand them.

With your statement I'm gay because I have all of my things stuffed in to my handbag slung on my shoulder. I guess what I need to do is wake up my wife and tell her that a person I don't know tells me I'm gay because I use a handbag.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,058,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2225 View Post
What I find interesting is that you automatically think a guy with a handbag is gay not knowing what that person is like. I know I have a problem of bringing judgement on to people that I see with what they wear or what they do, so I'm not perfect, but I tried to be objective in my thinking and am willing to give those people my time to know and understand them.

With your statement I'm gay because I have all of my things stuffed in to my handbag slung on my shoulder. I guess what I need to do is wake up my wife and tell her that a person I don't know tells me I'm gay because I use a handbag.
Well, if that's what you feel you need to do then do it.

What I find entertaining is the amount of people, who carry MURSES, taking offense to what I said. If what I said doesn't apply to you, then why is my comment affecting you so much? Did my 'gay' comment strike a nerve or two?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,101,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Well, if that's what you feel you need to do then do it.

What I find entertaining is the amount of people, who carry MURSES, taking offense to what I said. If what I said doesn't apply to you, then why is my comment affecting you so much? Did my 'gay' comment strike a nerve or two?
I'll have to back you up here....I too think it looks VERY gay and effeminate for a man to carry a purse or WHATEVER they want to call it.We just do not see it that often here and regardless as to what ANYONE says,it makes the dude look gay to me and no matter how hard I try I can not help laughing at the guy and thinking his WIFE(if the woman walking beside him is not a beard,sister,friend or whatever ) has his testicles in HER purse.

I have a leather carrying case for my laptop computer that has a shoulder strap...I caught so much hell from buddies and other guys around here for that thing that I eventually took the shoulder strap OFF....I carried it like a briefcase anyway,but the mere fact that the strap was on there made them gouge me about it....MAN PURSES =NOT COOL HERE

BTW...if a dude runs out of "pocket room" it's his own fault....overalls have a lot more pockets on them and don't look gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty