Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,822,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Yeah, we'll all dress to keep men happy instead of ourselves.
Poor women. It must be so hard to be a woman. I'm sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 AM

805 posts, read 1,511,572 times
Does anyone travel internationally? You will notice that women in other countries dress very differently.

American women are all about comfort when traveling: sweatpants and sneakers. There are exceptions of course. Many women from other countries like to look feminine. Whether it's for men or for themselves, who cares as long as that's what they enjoy.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,564,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
My impression is they wear heels because they love wearing them. They like to look as good as they can.

There are many ways to look at feminism. Russia in many ways would be considered a feminist nation in the sense that women are highly educated and work outside the home.

Also, women have tremendous freedom in nations that appreciate female beauty and allow women to look as attractive as can be. If Americans dressed the way most Russian women do they would be called "hookers" and all sorts of names. This to me shows that Russia is MORE of a feminist country than the U.S. Women are restricted in their dress here and have pressure to be plain and modest. Russian women are free to express themselves.
I agree with you. Feminism is about equal pay and career opportunities and not being discriminated against; it shouldn't be about trying to hide or cover up the feminine side. Russian women are comfortable with their femininity, and love showing it off. They are able to display their creativity and personality through fashion, and they're doing it for themselves instead of to please guys. For the most part, they can dress how they want without getting harassed like they would in the States.

These are my observations from having lived a few years in E. Europe and visiting Russia & Ukraine many times.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
Women don't have to wear heels but I always thought that most women wear heels for themselves because women love to look beautiful. You know women wear dresses and heels to look elegant and feminine. All these arguments like 'men don't wear heels so why we women should?' look weird and way too feministic.
I wear heels at times, but I don't need them to be beautiful.

Only a simpleton--or a blind person--would not recognize that I am a woman. I look feminine by virtue of the shape of my body and face, even if I am wearing jeans and my hair in a ponytail. Which I am, because I just came back from grocery shopping for several hours. I'm not wearing high heels because that would be stupid. But I still look feminine.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,320,434 times
When I was in New York in Sept-Oct '08, something I noticed was the large amount of women that wear black high-heeled boots. And they march along the streets like it's no effort.

I seldom wear high-heels because I simply can't find shoes for narrower feet anymore. They exist for wide ones but not for me.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Quote:
FYI Russian women have a habit of shaving legs and armpits too. Anyways, I do believe 'dress and heels' are way more feminine and stylish clothes than 'jeans and flip flops'.

Btw Carrie used to dress very cool. I assume women should copy her style more often.
Ugh, she's dressed like a watermelon. How embarrassing.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 AM

15,878 posts, read 21,483,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I agree with you. Feminism is about equal pay and career opportunities and not being discriminated against; it shouldn't be about trying to hide or cover up the feminine side. Russian women are comfortable with their femininity, and love showing it off. They are able to display their creativity and personality through fashion, and they're doing it for themselves instead of to please guys. For the most part, they can dress how they want without getting harassed like they would in the States.

These are my observations from having lived a few years in E. Europe and visiting Russia & Ukraine many times.
And what of when they're 60 years old and can no longer walk because of the damage they have done to their feet, ankles, knees, hips, and backs from years of walking in heels?

I can look quite feminine in flats. Yesterday I went out for a day in the city in a dress, colorful tights, and flats. Public transportation had issues so I was trapped standing on a subway for over an hour in between stations. I then had to walk about a mile and a half to get to another station to transfer lines because buses were too full and too long of a wait. My feet killed at the end of the day even with the flats- I can't imagine what it would have been like had I decided to wear heels. I probably wouldn't be walking today.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
What a wonderful culture. Not just the heels...but the appreciation of femininity.
What a hilariously backwards comment.

In Russia, as in many former soviet block countries, there are very few men. Most were killed in previous wars. Women compete to extreme degrees for very few men.

I would hardly call this a celebration of feminism. Unprotected sex is rampant, as are associated diseases. Anyone who grocery shops in heels and is not coming from work has problems.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,460,053 times
Quote:
FYI Russian women have a habit of shaving legs and armpits too. Anyways, I do believe 'dress and heels' are way more feminine and stylish clothes than 'jeans and flip flops'.

Btw Carrie used to dress very cool. I assume women should copy her style more often.
Perhaps American men could lead by example. Why wear heels and get dressed up everyday for men when they look like this?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
What a hilariously backwards comment.

In Russia, as in many former soviet block countries, there are very few men. Most were killed in previous wars. Women compete to extreme degrees for very few men.

I would hardly call this a celebration of feminism. Unprotected sex is rampant, as are associated diseases. Anyone who grocery shops in heels and is not coming from work has problems.
Very few men? Previous wars?

48,864,763 men for 53,048,315 women, ages 15-64.

Your comments are totally off. Why would someone shopping in heels have 'problems', if they are not coming from work? And why mention unprotected sex and associated diseases at all in a fashion thread???? Sounds like your beef is with Russia, not with high heels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty