Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

Because it's more comfortable and, many times, more practical. It's ridiculous to expect a woman to wear a skirt when she's, say, riding a horse--unless we decide to go back to the days of the sidesaddle when women weren't even allowed to open their legs, even for practical purposes, which is a lot of what the skirt is all about, as well as these comments about women "not looking feminine" when they don't wear a skirt or dress. That is essentially saying that a woman has to dress a certain way because it causes her to act a certain way that is considered "feminine" (i.e. demure, submissive, passive, helpless,etc.) IMHO, such thinking is antiquated and completely unrealistic b/c it refuses to ascknowledge that times have changed; in fact, it almosts insists that it not change.

This is the 21st century. Women now do many of the same jobs and tasks that men do and need to dress the part; form follows function. Any woman who is dressed in a skirt and heels all of the time is more limited in her movements. And only a misogynist/male chauvinist would insist that she still act (and dress) in a limited fashion to appease his needs rather than her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,256 times
Clothing styles are a societal construct, change and evolve over time, and have absolutely nothing to do with gender. If a person is comfortable wearing whatever, then that's his or her choice. Period. I don't care if a man is not interested in me because of my preferred clothing. Why would I want a man who thought he could dictate the way I dress? Why would I want a man who puts more stock in my appearance than in my personality? In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is no longer the 19th century.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Nonsense.

A man who is intimidated by a woman dressing like a woman is a hormonal, socially awkward, placing females on a pedestal, lacking self respect individual.

...........or he prefers feminine women as opposed to masculine ones.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

A man who is intimidated by a woman dressing like a woman is a hormonal, socially awkward, placing females on a pedestal, lacking self respect individual.
So what country are you from?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Many are Lesbians in my experience. I dont mind tho, you know what they say, "To thine own self be true".

Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Ladies, do you wonder why men are finding the opposite sex less attractive than in years past? While masculine demeanors and attitudes play a role, as does the typical entitlement attitude of the modern women, what puts so many men off is that they no longer desire to dress like a lady. It's a real turn-off.
I have not noticed men being less attracted, unless you consider beating them off with a stick as being less attracted. OTOH, if more casual dress scares off toads, then excellent.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
I can't believe I saw this, or well I guess I can.

Quote:
Men:

Dress: A formal suit

Casual: Jeans, T-Shirt, Golf Shirt, Sweat Shirt

Women:

Dress: A dressy dress or a nice skirt with a nice blouse/shirt

Casual: Sundress, casual dress, skirt, etc.

Many of you gals have taken to wearing men's clothing, and you've worn it for so long, you think that it's not masculine. Yeah, right. Look back at videos and pictures of women before the counter-culture movement, and you'll see what real feminine dress is about. Even then, a large percentage of those hippies still wore dresses, nothing like the 95% of He-women that we see today.
What time period are you from? We can only wear dresses and skirts for casual to not be dressing like men? Sweat shirts and tees aren't ok? That makes us "He-women"? Are you serious? There's nothing inherently masculine about jeans, tees, sneakers, sweatshirts or anything like that anymore and plenty of that is made just for girls too.

Or would you wear any of these?

Tees

Sneakers
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/stellas1969/Girls%20Spring%20and%20Summer/RedCanvasSneakerswithBows.jpg (broken link)

Jeans

Sweatshirts/hoodies

Is any of that manly enough for you to wear? Hey I bet you'd look great in some of it.

It's funny you think what's for men and women to wear is so set in stone and always was. You know blouses haven't always been womens' clothing, but were historically for both for a very long time, and men still wear them, they just call em poet shirts and stuff like that now.

Why should we look back to the time of your upbringing as the standard for what "real" gender dress is, how far back should we go to know what's proper? Why should we stop at your time? Do want to go back to the 1700's when men wore stockings powdered wigs and when women wear layer upon layer of dresses?

Stockings and powdered wigs, ohhh how masculine, well guess what, it was and George Washington and all our founders dressed like that too. Were they all dressing like women? Do you see how ridiculous it is to judge the the standards of cultural dress with your own narrow minded ideas of what's right?

And I mean, historically speaking, pants for men and pants at all are a relatively new idea, about 200 years old. You see the 18th century above, go back to the middle ages where all the people wore what were essentially "dresses", back to Rome where the even the greatest soldiers wore armor over their red short tunics (also essentially dresses) and all the citizens wore the long ones. Go back to Greece when women weren't even expected to cover their breasts with their cloths and togas. For most of all of our known civilized history most of both men and women have worn long dresses and short skirts, as far back as you go, from the end of the B.C. era with Jesus to thousands of years back to Egypt and Ancient Sumeria.

Middle Ages

Rome

A.D. 30- B.C. 5000--

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/iam733_photos/ANCIENT%20HISTORY%20ETC/babylon-1.jpg (broken link)

So really, get out of your bubble and realize your views are outdated and very biased with no real basis. Maybe all women only dressed in dresses and skirts when you were growing up but it's just not like that anymore, we wear pants and regular shirts like guys do but that doesn't make those mens' clothes or non womens' clothes. I like wearing skirts and dresses and so do alotta other girls and we still wear that stuff too, but we also like wearing pants and stuff and that doesn't mean we're being unfeminine or "He-women", those clothes you call mens' clothes aren't exclusively for men, and that's just that. You can say this and that is how people used to dress and that's how it should stay and the way it is today is all backward but that's just stupid, men used to wear dresses, wigs, skirts and stockings too, would you like to go back to that? Do you think the older people who were around when you were young approved of the way you dressed? Women's dresses in the 50's would've been scandalous in the 1890's, and mens' looks from the same time period would've made them look like freaks in earlier eras. When I'm old people in my generation'll probably think that style and tradition died too, that's just the way it goes. Style and culture has changed, get used to it, I'm sorry your old world is gone and you're annoyed about that but times have changed, just like they always have. Please drop the dinosaur attitude towards women if you can.

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 02-11-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Of course a man isn't going to say that, as he's likely accustomed to the fragile egos that many women display.

If women dressed and acted like women, like they used to do, you'd find that men would not be losing interest in them. The fact is, many men are losing interest because women are no longer acting or trying to look feminine.

By the way, as stated earlier, jeans are men's clothing. Fitted or flared, it doesn't make a bit of difference, it's still a man's style of clothing.

The equivalent is a man wearing a blouse and saying, "do you see how it's cut and shows off my biceps".
Haha fragile egos ?! Gotta do better than that to get a reaction

And....I definitely haven't seen a reduction of male interest.... Just a fact, ya know?!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,488 times
Okay here's a question? What's with the hipster freaks wearing their sisters jeans and dressing like morons? I understand there will always be some sort of counter-culture movement, and the next generation will try to be different than generations previous.
However, this current look of wearing super skinny jeans, coupled with the ridiculous hairstyles, is making our men look like idiots.
In my opinion this is disturbing.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 AM

236 posts, read 859,880 times
Quote:
Why do you women bemoan that you are women, as though you have no choice. You say you need "variety", but we men have no desire to wear a dress and claim, "I need variety". You have your variety, and we have ours. Yet, you want ours and to claim them for yourselves too.
Why do women only have to wear skirts/dresses? Oh, and believe me there are some guys who do want to wear dresses. Ever heard of drag queens? Cross dressers? Why can't we have "yours"? Maybe we're more comfortable with "your" clothes...

Quote:
Jeans are masculine forms of dress. A woman DOES NOT look feminine wearing jeans, by and large. That's not to say that a very pretty woman won't look pretty wearing jeans. It is saying, however, that she loses some of her femininity and ultimate desire from men.

A woman doesn't look feminine wearing jeans? Says who? The guys I know don't complain about their girlfriends wearing jeans, and they haven't lost any desire for them. How does one lose their desire from men by wearing jeans? Explain that for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty