Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:17 AM

24 posts, read 26,287 times

Advertisements

Woo wee, just saw this! A Trader Joe's would be GREAT, because of the EMPLOYMENT, not to mention the store itself! I sure hope that they will consider putting in a TJ in Fayetteville or even enter the lion's den and put one in Bentonville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiVanderer View Post
Woo wee, just saw this! A Trader Joe's would be GREAT, because of the EMPLOYMENT, not to mention the store itself! I sure hope that they will consider putting in a TJ in Fayetteville or even enter the lion's den and put one in Bentonville!
we just keep our fingers crossed everyday. So far all we hear are rumors. At least we have Fresh Market which though more expensive is really a good place to get top quality and there is Aldi's, both in Rogers and the new one about to open (in the next couple of months) in Bentonville. I know a lot of people like Whole Foods but they are a long way for some of us,plus their prices are way out of our budget.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
That's a bet you'd lose. The "Tulsa Metropolitan Area" comprises 6200 square miles (six counties), while the "Northwest Arkansas Metropolitan Area" comprised of 4200 square miles (four counties) , including two counties which are very sparsely populated and mountainous. Washginton County is very sparsely populated once you leave Fayetteville headed south.

Of the estimated 525,000 people included in the Northwest Arkansas metro, all but about 40,000 live Washington or Benton counties.
Here is the deal though. The core of the Tulsa "metro" sits at the confluence of three counties. Tulsa, Osage, and Creek counties. Osage county is the biggest county in the state of Oklahoma land area wise yet very little of it is actually a part of the Tulsa metro. The same is true for Creek county. The other three counties are suburban and exurban and rural just like the four counties included in the NWA MSA. The density of the two MSA's including the six and the four counties is basically identical.

However, MOST of Tulsa proper sits in Tulsa County sits in Tulsa county itself. It has a density of over 1,000 persons/square mile. Contrast that to Washington and Benton Counties each of which are less than 250 people per square mile. So essentially the Tulsa MSA has one of six counties which is essentially all urban. NW MSA doesn't have a county that is like that.

But that's what makes NWA unique. Unlike most populated places that grew up around one major nodal urban area, NWA has the four reasonably identical small town nodes that grew robustly together. The fact that the four small towns (pre WWII) were in an isolated area but were autonomous is kind of unusual in the first place. But the fact that each was driven by it's own super industry after WWII is almost freakish. In most scenarios the growth would have been incubated soley out of the university community (Fayetteville) and Fayetteville would be huge and dense and the others would, at best, be suburban bedroom communities. . But NWA, everybody shared the wealth so to speak. Bentonville got the biggest retail outfit in the world, Rogers/Lowell got the biggest trucking outfit around, and Springdale got the food industry icon.

As a result, each "small town" node had/has the necessary components to infuse it's own community "neighborhood" with things that make it unique, appealing and desirable for resident and tourist alike. This model makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. As a "tourist/visitor" I love the fact that Fayetteville still has many aspects of the small quaint college town hamlet that it used to be. Yet you are in a metro of 550K that is now cultured and cosmopolitan in a very unique fashion.

Last edited by eddie gein; 09-08-2018 at 03:39 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 07:14 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Here is the deal though. The core of the Tulsa "metro" sits at the confluence of three counties. Tulsa, Osage, and Creek counties. Osage county is the biggest county in the state of Oklahoma land area wise yet very little of it is actually a part of the Tulsa metro. The same is true for Creek county. The other three counties are suburban and exurban and rural just like the four counties included in the NWA MSA. The density of the two MSA's including the six and the four counties is basically identical.

However, MOST of Tulsa proper sits in Tulsa County sits in Tulsa county itself. It has a density of over 1,000 persons/square mile. Contrast that to Washington and Benton Counties each of which are less than 250 people per square mile. So essentially the Tulsa MSA has one of six counties which is essentially all urban. NW MSA doesn't have a county that is like that.

But that's what makes NWA unique. Unlike most populated places that grew up around one major nodal urban area, NWA has the four reasonably identical small town nodes that grew robustly together. The fact that the four small towns (pre WWII) were in an isolated area but were autonomous is kind of unusual in the first place. But the fact that each was driven by it's own super industry after WWII is almost freakish. In most scenarios the growth would have been incubated soley out of the university community (Fayetteville) and Fayetteville would be huge and dense and the others would, at best, be suburban bedroom communities. . But NWA, everybody shared the wealth so to speak. Bentonville got the biggest retail outfit in the world, Rogers/Lowell got the biggest trucking outfit around, and Springdale got the food industry icon.

As a result, each "small town" node had/has the necessary components to infuse it's own community "neighborhood" with things that make it unique, appealing and desirable for resident and tourist alike. This model makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. As a "tourist/visitor" I love the fact that Fayetteville still has many aspects of the small quaint college town hamlet that it used to be. Yet you are in a metro of 550K that is now cultured and cosmopolitan in a very unique fashion.
This explains what some people see as positives about NWA's layout and growth.
I never quite got it, really.

It is unique in a sense that every place has some uniqueness.
However, in more traditional, centrally-focused big cities, the suburbs often have unique characters with their own industries that sprung up out of them, and still retain the quaintness and small town feel. Often, they do it better than small towns themselves.
NWA just doesn't have that one focal point. Some of us view that as a downside, while others don't care and like it anyway, or even because of it.
Long term concerns I would have involve infrastructure, public transit/mass transit as major transportation changes loom on the horizon, and regional cooperation if the powers that be decide they don't want to play nice at some point.
From a tourist point of view, there really isn't much to attract one there.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
This explains what some people see as positives about NWA's layout and growth.
I never quite got it, really.

It is unique in a sense that every place has some uniqueness.
However, in more traditional, centrally-focused big cities, the suburbs often have unique characters with their own industries that sprung up out of them, and still retain the quaintness and small town feel. Often, they do it better than small towns themselves.
NWA just doesn't have that one focal point. Some of us view that as a downside, while others don't care and like it anyway, or even because of it.
Long term concerns I would have involve infrastructure, public transit/mass transit as major transportation changes loom on the horizon, and regional cooperation if the powers that be decide they don't want to play nice at some point.
From a tourist point of view, there really isn't much to attract one there.
As you said, it's a matter of preference. For instance, I don't like what has happened to Austin, Tx. Others think it's great. I just like NWA because despite it's growth and culture, it still maintains some of that "hamlet" feel. I guess you have to like hamlets.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
As you said, it's a matter of preference. For instance, I don't like what has happened to Austin, Tx. Others think it's great. I just like NWA because despite it's growth and culture, it still maintains some of that "hamlet" feel. I guess you have to like hamlets.
You have it right and most of us agree with you. there will always be those how have other ideas or for some reason just do not like an area and have trouble finding anything positive to say about it.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:37 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Austin isn't remotely my thing either. I see NWA in the early stages of becoming a version of that if they're not careful. Arkansas has less of a growth-at-all-costs mentality which should help.
As for hamlets, having a central city core and focus while retaining unique enclaves are traits that many of my favorite cities have.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 706 times
The problem with thinking of NWA as a city is that it is so linear since the main cities are built up against the interstate, and as a result, more spread out. At least from my perspective. I live in downtown Fayetteville without a car, and I rarely ever leave the Fayetteville city limits. I haven't been to Rogers or Bentonville in years.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,559 times
I'd like to see NW Arkansas growth stop right where it is. I remember well how it looked in about 1970 and preferred that.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
I'd like to see NW Arkansas growth stop right where it is. I remember well how it looked in about 1970 and preferred that.
well I doubt that is going to happen. At least not for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers