Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Don't let it bother you. We lived in the Dallas area for 13 years and I never saw a snake. Our daughter has been there for 23, I don't think she has either. Even here, I know people who haven't seen them. These little guys would probably have stayed in the woods had they not gotten lost and somehow dicided our porch was a good place to hang out.

Nita
I think it depends on where you live in Texas. Certainly, you are not likely to see a snake the Dallas inner city, but when you get to the more rural parts of texas it is more likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think it depends on where you live in Texas. Certainly, you are not likely to see a snake the Dallas inner city, but when you get to the more rural parts of texas it is more likely.
Yep, that is true. We lived in So Ca for years and I hardly saw a snake until we moved to the foothills of Glendora. It certainly wasn't rural, but wasn't as heavily populated as many parts of Los Angeles. Here is where I encountered my first rattle snake. Where? In our garage. My point simply is, you can live a place for years and never come in contact with snakes, spiders, etc.

Nit

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Well, I live in Piedmont N. Carolina the town I live in is at 730 ft elevation, water mocassins can not sustain themselves above 600 ft elevation, it just gets too cold for them in winter. I have seen a lot of dead banded water snakes, and common water snakes that people swore to me were moccasins. all snakes can swim and will to avoid humans. After our land was cleared, 2.5 acres in the middle of 11.26acres, I went around to my neighbors and asked that, When they see a black snake, please don't kill it, call me. All around the perimeter of my clearing there are blackberry bushes, I captured 8 or 9 black snakes and placed them at different points at the edge of the clearing. Years later, ...all I see are black snakes, even in our creek. Black snakes are a member of the King Snake family, and...eat poisonous snakes. We do see snakes as we pick blackberries, black snakes only. We have found shed skins over 8 feet long, apparently the snakes like their new digs.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
I've missed a few pages since this thread started. I hope I'm the first with an in town gator story. This a frame from a video my friend took in Dermott. About two blocks from down town. The nearest water is Bayou Bartholomew which is about 5 miles away.

For those that aren't familiar with southeast AR, Dermott is in the northwest corner of Chicot county. 22 miles east of Monticello and 7 miles south of McGehee. About 60 miles southeast of Pine Bluff.
Attached Thumbnails
snakes are real here!!!-gator.jpg  

Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
Guess you didnt hear about the girl that died in July from a burmese python? ..Down in Florida, in her house over night... Not good.

Granted its more common to come across one in FL with the python issue they are having but still a snakes a snake.. its a wild animal.. born to eat whatever it can.. bite whatever it can.. Survival of the fitest..

My son got his first lesson when he was 4 yo when he grabbed a small garter snake here in MI and it bite him and actually tore a small hole in his hand from it.. Poisonous or not.. anything with teeth hurts like hell when it bites you and a big snake can certainly hurt a small child.

I hope (when we find our little piece of the AR dream) that we can find a way to keep the snakes out of our yard/play area.
Anyone who would keep a python or a boa constrictor as a pet is just begging for trouble. I have a problem with killing a snake or any other animal for being themselves. It's not the snake's fault some stupid human tried to turn them into a pet.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
A small gator was sighted in Crooked Creek in Harrison, AR this summer. It would naturally be one that someone has dumped there. There are all kinds of weirdos out there....

Old 09-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
A small gator was sighted in Crooked Creek in Harrison, AR this summer. It would naturally be one that someone has dumped there. There are all kinds of weirdos out there....
A few years ago, well maybe about 10 one or two were spotted in or near Lewisville lake in Lewisville Tx.

Nita

Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Someone threw one in the lake in a public park here in LA. The news media named him Reggie. It took the city two years to catch him. He now lives at the LA Zoo.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Someone threw one in the lake in a public park here in LA. The news media named him Reggie. It took the city two years to catch him. He now lives at the LA Zoo.
As long as he is safe in the zoo and not wandering around eating people I am glad he is living out his life.

Nita

Old 09-18-2009, 08:12 PM

63 posts, read 188,095 times
I live in northeast Mo., and had never seen a copperhead, only heard of them being in this area. One day some of us ladies were cleaning an old stone historic church, and just as we got out of the car this 'huge snake', he was as big around or bigger than my arm came slowly gliding between us and the church. I instantly knew he had to be a copperhead because he had bands of 'copper' on his body. I have cleaned many antique copper pieces, and know that copper look. What was strange he showed no fear, just stayed there and observed us, as though he was friendly. Ever ordinay snake I have seen always tried to get away from you. Finally he slowly and leisurely crawled over to some tall grass that surrounded the church foundation. His color and size amazed me, and his lack of fear, very strange. This area was near where there is a river and a lot of rock bluffs, an area known for rattlesnakes and copperheads. My husband had said I shouldn't go there because I might run on to snakes, I should have listened to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers