Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:00 AM

4 posts, read 24,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, reread my message, this has nothing to do with you except to welcome you to NWA> I am talking about the the little high school gal. Obviously, you care about the schools, your kids education, both spiritually and academically, etc or you would not be here asking.

Again, re-read who my message was addressed to, it had nothing to do with you.

NIta

WOW! reread mine!

regardless of whom you were demeaning and talking down too, be it me or and the "little high school gal" who was kind enough to let me know that she lives in NW Arkansas and its not a big suburb. THANK YOU BY THE WAY NO ONE needs their educational and lifestyle choices questioned on a relocation board.

Last edited by workervr; 03-20-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
Maybe you need to come here yourself & check it out. Half the people in the area are from big cities like LA, Chicago, Dallas etc. or at least outside the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workervr View Post
Thank you all so very much for your input...as far as my bio is concerned I left it all at the default.. or rather didn't activate it. My college attendance consists of a BS in Social Work and some Advancement on my Masters in History.
When referring to one big suburb I did not know if they were connected from Fayvill; like I now know Rogers and Bville do, or were separated like Towns in Kansas where I grew up.
I have traveled extensively, please do not be arrogant enough to think that the lack of knowledge regarding the location denotes lack of travel.. simply lack of interest. Regardless of your thoughts regarding my perceived personal proclivities, this board is an information board. I would hope tolerance for even the most basic of misinformation would rule here. I think one common fear regarding a move to Arkansas for anyone from an Urban or Suburban area would be the presence of ignorant, arrogant, judgemental individuals. Thanks for alieviating my need for asking about that Rita

Have a lovely day

Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workervr View Post
Hi there,
My hubby is being transfered to Springdale. We live in Chicago. My children are in a very small and very good Catholic school. I have already checked and the Catholic schools in Arkansas are not very good or very very expensive compared to Chicago. So my question for you all fine folks is where is the BEST school system in NW Arkansas. By best I mean by test scores. I dont care about national merit etc. test scores whatever achievement tests are taken in Arkansas. We dont care about the commute anything will be better than Chicago !! within reason.

Are there any catholic communities? Also any very good allstar cheerleading and tumbling gyms? I am having a hard time finding stuff. I grew up in Kansas so I am very much looking foreward to escaping the excesses of the suburbs of chicago. Although I have been warned that NW arkansas is like one big suburb. is this true?

I hope you all are well and thanks so much for your help,

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Depending on what part of Chi-town you're from might depend on where you'll want to re-locate. You'll want to concentrate on Bentonville, Rogers, and Fayetteville.

Personally I prefer the "funkiness" of Fayetteville. We have well moneyed families rubbing elbows with quirky hippie type folks. The socio-economics can really be seen in some of the public schools.

Fayetteville schools are some of the best in the state. The high school historically produces a high number of National Merit Scholars (in this day and age, that does matter). I believe this year's FHS senior class has 14 NMS.

The Catholic community in Fayetteville is close knit. In the past 5-7 years they have had their challenges in the church.

Something to be prepared for regardless of the town you choose, be ready for winter! Because snow typically doesn't happen (not more than a dusting to an inch or two ), the towns are not prepared. There are limited snow plows, etc. This year Bentonville schools missed something like 7 days of school due to snow!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:24 AM

77 posts, read 238,752 times
I am flabbergasted that people think NWA has cities!

Where is the density and street life of Urban-ism? Dickson certainly is not urban.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post

Where is the density and street life of Urban-ism? Dickson certainly is not urban.
What is your point? Any town consisting of a city government is a city.

Nita

Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM

77 posts, read 238,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What is your point? Any town consisting of a city government is a city.

Nita
You are resorting to semantics to provide an alternate definition to what is generally accepted as a city, the legal recognition but not the reference to land use patterns as is accepted in common mention. Certainly when ever someone says they are going to the city here, it is assumed they are traveling far out of the area.

As for NWA. It is several scattered suburbs which is actually, for the vast majority of the land mass, comprised of land use patterns found in exurbs, not suburbs.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:

Fayetteville is a city. It's a city by any definition you wish you use. It's not a large city, and I don't think anyone is comparing Fayetteville to Chicago or St Louis or Los Angeles or even to Dallas. Guess what? There are small cities in America. Springfield, IL---small city. Springfield, MA----small city. Dickson St reminds me of several similar areas off of college campuses--Dinkytown in Minneapolis, for instance.

Each community in Northwest Arkansas has a unique identity and feel to it. Certainly some of the newer neighborhoods that were developed as a response to the tremendous growth in the area from 1987 to 2007 do have that generic feel that is characteristic of that kind of growth. But those neighborhoods aren't representative of the original communities.

Some people who come to the area never stray far from 540. But 540 was built as a bypass of the area communities. Development then grew up around 540. That's not the area where you're going to learn about the communities and their history and culture. There's more to Northwest Arkansas than the corridor around 540.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
You are resorting to semantics to provide an alternate definition to what is generally accepted as a city, the legal recognition but not the reference to land use patterns as is accepted in common mention. Certainly when ever someone says they are going to the city here, it is assumed they are traveling far out of the area.

As for NWA. It is several scattered suburbs which is actually, for the vast majority of the land mass, comprised of land use patterns found in exurbs, not suburbs.
suit yourself, but no, you do not understand the people who live here or you wouldn't make such statements. We all have our reasons for our views, I can guarantee you most of us do not use the term, "we are going to the city" if we do we probably mean we are going to Springdale, Bentonville, Fayetteville, etc. Of course there are very few large urban divesified cities in Ar period. It is a rural state. There isn't a Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta or Washington DC. but there are area that are diversefied, with a mixture of cultures and people with different views on life. DC said it best..

Nita

Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Yes, coming into Springdale from 412 heading west, one would think they crossed the border and were in Mexico.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yes, coming into Springdale from 412 heading west, one would think they crossed the border and were in Mexico.
Heading west? I think you see it more heading east!!! Oh well. Actually, after being raised in Los Angeles, living 13 years in Dallas and 7 in the Albuquerque area none of what we see here comes close to feeling like we are nearing the border...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers