Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times

Advertisements

This is an inspiring thread and these are very good. I particularly like art that makes me think a little--not too much, just a little. LOL

I tried to post some of mine from my photobucket links but they're not showing up. How is everyone else posting them? I'm doing something wrong.

http://http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/The_NewSense_Files/Art/?action=view&current=dolphinwatercolor2.jpg (broken link)

http://http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/The_NewSense_Files/Art/?action=view&current=dolphinwatercolor2.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times

I can't figure out how to get these regular size. This site is weird. Or photobucket has gone weird. But here are a few of mine anyway.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
I usually work in porcelain enamel on steel, but a local motorcycle club asked me to come up with a custom trophy for a fundraiser event. It was a fun project!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I can't figure out how to get these regular size. This site is weird. Or photobucket has gone weird. But here are a few of mine anyway.
yeah, i'm not sure what the deal is, though the last three look good. cool stuff.

mateo, that trophy is very nice. i want to learn to sculpt with wood and metal someday. maybe if i ever finish school...

Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
yeah, i'm not sure what the deal is, though the last three look good. cool stuff.

mateo, that trophy is very nice. i want to learn to sculpt with wood and metal someday. maybe if i ever finish school...
Cool! Whatcha wanna make...?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 PM

oh, i don't know yet. i've been thinking of sculpting people. i like drawing people, but sometimes the lack of dimension bothers me.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i thought you would never ask. all my stuff in on gamers creative corner thread.
feel free to look.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
oh, i don't know yet. i've been thinking of sculpting people. i like drawing people, but sometimes the lack of dimension bothers me.
I notice you also mentioned metal and wood. If it makes any difference, I didn't know anything about working with metal 'til a couple years ago and pretty much taught myself by just getting some equipment and trying things out. It was mostly trial and error, and after realizing I was never going be a decent welder with an oxy/acetylene torch, somebody suggested I try MIG welding instead. I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight MIG unit for about $100 on sale, and man, what a difference! With virtually no skill, you can start welding metal together right away with a MIG, and the only difference skill makes is basically just better-looking welds. But that's where a grinder comes in handy!

So with some simple metal cutting tools, like shears and a portable grinder or cutoff wheel, it's basically alot like using a big hot-glue gun, but you're piecing together metal instead of paper. And because steel is so inherently strong, you can mostly concentrate on the appearance and the design, without having to worry so much about strength, as you do with wood or other weaker materials.

If you can afford it, a portable plasma cutter is another nifty tool to eventually have, because you can cut through metal to make intricate shapes, almost as easy as drawing with a felt tip pen! Plasma cutting actually used to be a big and expensive industrial process, but like many other hi-tech gizmos, the size and price has finally come down to within easy range of the home mechanic or artisan.

Now including wood into a metal design, that sounds interesting!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,724 times
Default Etsy.com

I haven't read all 9 pages on this thread so excuse me it Etsy.com has already been mentioned. Etsy.com is an Art & Craft website and all items for sale must be handmade. This website has been mentioned a couple of times on The Big Idea. Check it out.

Quote:
is there a place here to post original artwork? if not, maybe we ought to start doing that here. they have stuff like that in the photography forum, and on many other websites out there. i am curious to see what others are up to artistically.

i'll start with some of mine. i just barely started putting them on the web, so i only have a couple. i will update as i get around to putting more up. yeah, it's facebook--i'm cheap. eventually i might actually post it on a specialty site, or get my own.

Login | Facebook

all right, people. get cracking! i want to see some virtual galleries springing up around here.

aaron out.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i thought you would never ask. all my stuff in on gamers creative corner thread.
feel free to look.
link would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts