Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I doubt it. Once the "trustafarians" get into a place, they seem to grow deep local roots. They don't need local jobs or income, and have the financial ability to price out others when it comes to housing, etc.

Look at some of the (allegedly "energy") places they've "discovered" in Colorado, for example. For those of us who came to Colorado in the early 1960's, and saw the takeover of several small communities in the following decades, the effect has been rather permanent and adverse.

I first rode through Sedona in 1969, on an ill-fated cross country motorcycle camping trip when the crankshaft in my bike broke in Sedona. It was still a pretty sleepy small town then, and without much in the way of charm except for the surrounding countryside where I'd camped out. Getting assistance was very difficult ... I finally had to push my bike to a gas station, park it, and take a Greyhound Bus home to retrieve a car and trailer for my bike. Everyone I encountered in Sedona was unfriendly and highly negative toward a "biker" ... only I was clean cut, wearing a two piece all-weather Barbour Suit, and riding an R-60 BMW ... not the type of outfit and noisy bike you'd associate with an "outlaw biker" wearing colors and tat's and an attitude.

Years later (1992), I got weathered in on a cross country flight, and just needed to park my plane overnight at the airstrip. I couldn't believe all the nasty warning signs at the place ... it was one of the most unreceptive to visiting pilots unattended airstrips I've ever been to. On a plateau overlooking the town, and incredibly expensive for the long trip down into town and lodging. I decided to stay put and camp out from my plane (which is what I do most of the time, I had my full camping gear/food/water); that's how I found out that the place was patrolled at night by guard dogs, very unfriendly to strangers. I got chased out of my tent in the wee hours and uneasily slept the rest of the night in my plane.

I haven't been back since then, but my overall impression was that Sedona was targeted to acquiring tourist dollars like it did on my 1969 trip ... If you didn't obviously have a lot of them to leave at the place, and spend them freely, you weren't going to have much of a chance to enjoy Sedona.

There's lots of other places more unspoiled, untouched, and unbuilt up where the scenery is inspiring ... where I can go to get in touch with the forces of nature. They're all around us ... you just have to look for yourself and connect. Even sunsets on my ranch here in SE Wyoming are fabulous .... trail rides on my horses in the region can be "magical" ... and so on. The creek is flowing high right now due to some recent rains, and I'm going to camp out with the horses and sheep and livestock guardian dogs down there tonight in the wooded areas ... a whole 3/4 mile from my house, but away from everything; it's about like it was when the ranch was established in 1880. And I can pick up in the AM and leave without leaving a trace, too.

Okay, we'll be waiting and watching! Stay tuned, everyone...

Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 10,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, that doesnt make any sense, but I understand what you meant, and its funny.

I agree with your post. Sedona was best left untouched. It has become a tourist trap amongst tourist traps, albeit with lovely homes perched up high on the mountains. And the whole neo-hippie scene there is disturbing and disgusting. Last thing I wanted to see was some kid fresh out of college, dreadlocks and all, smokin a doobie up near Coffee Pot Rock (yes, I saw it) while burning incense. Get this, not even 2 hours later after lunch at Oaxacas, we see that same moron buying a book on the vortices in the area. Heaven help this planet. Whats sad is that these people so "in tune with the earth" sure do know how to fu** up the whole experience for others in the area. Go take a bath and put down the doobage for Petes sake! Let us who REALLY know and enjoy nature actually enjoy it w/o having to see and smell your dope-smokin selves. We dont need mind altering drugs to enjoy anything. Friggin hippies, get out of Sedona and go back to Haight-Ashbury or wherever you crawled out of.

Ahhhhh, I feel better. There is my rant for the day.

Oh, and the lady who sells crystals by the bridge in town (heading towards Flagstaff)??? Get a job and quit bothering the tourists by trying to sell your (probably plastic) "power crystals"!!!! She has been there BOTH times Ive gone under that bridge. Oh, and CUT YOUR HAIR!!!!! Its disgusting!!!!!!!!
Nice! I cant wait to move there and start annoying base folks like yourself!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motuorg View Post
When you say it's a fact, what do you mean? Has it been scientifically proven? Has it been empirically verified through measurement etc? I think not. Did you ever see those people fainting when touched by those evangelical types? They approach with a whole lot of expectation...a whole lot! If you go to Sedona hoping to feel transformed, you will be. After having done formal meditation for many years, in the Buddhist/Zen tradition (oh yeah... here on the east coast we DO have access to that sort of thing) I have experienced from time to time profound and deep connections even while changing my babies diaper, cooking dinner, talking to friends, etc. The transformation is internal. If you need to find a vortex to feel it, that's great, but realize, it's in your own mind i.e. it has never been proven empirically. I know that when I say this, some people might say.."well you're just not sensitive to it." Perhaps. Some seek out Church..Synagogue... and some a Vortex. It is what you choose to view as sacred. My contention is not so much with the idea of Vortices (and other make it up as you go, naively conceived forms of spirituality), but its effect on what was a rather secluded, sophisticated, beautiful town.

No one said you didn't have access to meditation on the east coast? No, I don't think it's about "hoping or expecting" either. I think some places have better feelings to them, call it what you like, energy, feeling of the place, whatever. Compare Wyoming, as a state to NY. Can you feel the difference if you visit both places? They're different, different feelings, vibe, whatever. Take Arizona and Massachusetts. Different feelings, people, attitudes, geography, etc.
When you visit the Pyramids in Egypt you feel differently than when you're sitting in dowtown Manhattan. Or, in the Amazon rain forest, you feel the "vibe" or whatever you want to call it as being drastically different from Brooklyn.
I'm not interested in a research study or an empirical study. It's an obvious thing for most people--they just don't call it "energy" or another new age term. New age has hurt alot because alot of it represented takes a truth and distorts it into a quacky/flaky representation.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 08-19-2008 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread-o View Post
Nice! I cant wait to move there and start annoying base folks like yourself!
No need to worry... I'll have several cans of Annoying-A$$-Hippie-Be-Gone with me, as well as some clothes pins for my nose, antibacterial soap, full Biohazard suit and a fire extinguisher to put out all the doobies.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM

42 posts, read 165,967 times
Default Energy Schmenergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I 'm not interested in a research study or an empirical study. It's a fact for me and I base my perceptions and feelings on what I feel..
That's precisely what I am saying i am saying..it's a fact FOR YOU! There's a saying.."when a pickpocket sees a saint, all he sees is his pockets."

There are no vortexes in Sedona really. Just a marketing scam by a guy in 1987, who sold lots of books telling you and me about vortexes in Sedona. Are they really there? Hell, I just saw multi-colored aliens in my backyard, who told me we are descendents of the Atlanteans from Mars. After al, according to your logic, if it's true for me, it's gotta be true right? I could write a book about it, get everyone to flood into my little town (like Sedona) And all I will say is that "it is a fact. who needs studies". Precisely the problem. And also part of the anti-intellectual trend in our country. "Oh those scientists..there they go again..what do they know." Believe me I value internal work. I consider myself spiritual, but I also consider the value of REAL scientifc investigation. If you are going to tell me that a specific place has energy, and then go on to tell me i'ts about WHAT YOU, YOURSELF, FEEL, that tells me about YOU, not the place. If on the other hand through scientific investigation, it is determined that this place has "energy" (generally a vague, undefined term, bantered about by anti-science, anti-spiritual, New Agers), then I might take it seriously.

Last edited by motuorg; 08-19-2008 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
That's precisely what I am saying i am saying..it's a fact FOR YOU! There's a saying.."when a pickpocket sees a saint, all he sees is his pockets."

There are no vortexes in Sedona really. Just a marketing scam by a guy in 1987, who sold lots of books telling you and me about vortexes in Sedona. Are they really there? Hell, I just saw multi-colored aliens in my backyard, who told me we are descendents of the Atlanteans from Mars. After al, according to your logic, if it's true for me, it's gotta be true right? I could write a book about it, get everyone to flood into my little town (like Sedona) And all I will say is that "it is a fact. who needs studies". Precisely the problem. And also part of the anti-intellectual trend in our country. "Oh those scientists..there they go again..what do they know." Believe me I value internal work. I consider myself spiritual, but I also consider the value of REAL scientifc investigation. If you are going to tell me that a specific place has energy, and then go on to tell me i'ts about WHAT YOU, YOURSELF, FEEL, that tells me about YOU, not the place. If on the other hand through scientific investigation, it is determined that this place has "energy" (generally a vague, undefined term, bantered about by anti-science, anti-spiritual, New Agers), then I might take it seriously.

Hmmm... What you're describing, Mot, sounds a bit like Scientology...

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 10,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No need to worry... I'll have several cans of Annoying-A$$-Hippie-Be-Gone with me, as well as some clothes pins for my nose, antibacterial soap, full Biohazard suit and a fire extinguisher to put out all the doobies.
Not worried very happy and excited thx for your original post it was informative and just what people you dont like need to hear who are interested lol! Kind of defeating yourself. And your 1st post was not insulting at all really; more like a broken record. An OLD record at that.
Say hi to oprah for me!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread-o View Post
Not worried very happy and excited thx for your original post it was informative and just what people you dont like need to hear who are interested lol! Kind of defeating yourself. And your 1st post was not insulting at all really; more like a broken record. An OLD record at that.
Say hi to oprah for me!
Oprah says "hi" back.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:

I worked in the medical field for years and then some. I saw alot of what "medical science" did for, rather to people. You can call it science (with all of it's "rigors"), but I saw some real pathetic things done in the name of science (medications that got people sicker, treatments that made people worse off, and people who put their hope in science got bafooned by the apes running the place).
There are plenty of medications that have had the scientific rigors of research given to them and look at the problems resulting from that.

I don't call trusting yourself and what you feel anti-intellectual. I call anti-intellectual trusting what other people think and find.

Trusting the scientists reminds me of trusting religion. Whatever the minister, priest or rabbi says goes.

You can't tell the difference between different place in the country, world? Every place has it's own feeling, call it whatever. Sedona is a beautiful place, but not my cup of tea. For some, they love it. Okay with me.

You have a right to your own feelings. If science rules for you, that's your choice.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM

42 posts, read 165,967 times
dfg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona