Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times

Advertisements

Although I am called by some an environmentalist, I am strongly against Government mandated restrictions on individuals. The wealthy and powerful embrace the "green" movement as it brings green to them. I am very upset that Shwartenazi and Christ want to Californicate Florida. This eco-nonsense always hurts the people who are on the lower income scale, or the true environmentalists. The sun is getting stronger, and carbon dioxide is not able to trap heat as much as they say. Water vapor is the greenhouse gas, so when the sun gets more intense, more water evaporates, carbon dioxide increases due to higher temps, but like in ancient times it allows plants to grow faster. This stuff is too complicated, and humans to short-sighted to figure it out.

Hey beaurocrats, just get out of my way and let me build the first self-sufficient "off grid" home. Stop writing stupid laws that are killing the innovation of the USA,

I would like to see a 50% reduction in oil usage by people driving less, not to reduce carbon dioxide but to reduce national debt. Want to cut powerplant emissions by 100%? Go Nuke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

I would like to see a 50% reduction in oil usage by people driving less, not to reduce carbon dioxide but to reduce national debt. Want to cut powerplant emissions by 100%? Go Nuke.
Great idea in theory, but unless we can generate power via nuclear fusion, what are we going to do with the waste from fission?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Great idea in theory, but unless we can generate power via nuclear fusion, what are we going to do with the waste from fission?
Reduce the waste from fission by going fast breeder. We have new technology that can be used to squeeze more energy out of uranium. No new reactors have been built in decades. There is no other way. Nuke buys us time till we sort this mess out.

I am going to see just how what types of emissions my wood powered engine puts out. Perhaps a wood or coal gas car could be less polluting. I already know that the carbon monoxide output is low.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 PM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Quote:
I would use whatever you can access cheaply. Bio and some solar works for me, especially since the powers that be will not allow me to set up a home nuclear reactor.
Darn those pesky neutrons!

Seriously though, there are actually some new nuclear plants slated to begin construction within a few years. I know of two that will be built up here in northern Alabama. Given a choice between living downwind of a coal plant or a nuclear plant, I'd take nuclear any day.

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 07-14-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 07:08 PM

Why is it that north Alabama looks better every day?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM

66 posts, read 194,971 times
I am not convinced about global warming either. Weather has always gone from one extreme to another. I do want the people in charge to stiffle pollution by industry, etc., and I think looking to solar is a great idea. I am concerned greatly about the wind turbines in the air - they are fine as long as they don't hurt and kill birds, bats, etc. We don't need to deminish one population to help another. I say NO to nuclear (too dangerous to dispose-of) and other dangers too awful to talk about. Let's plant bamboo. I will do my part but won't give up my SUV and VAN - sedans are just too small; my sportscar craz days are over.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Wink Yeah, I'm gonna "go there"......

To those that don't believe we are experiencing global warming, have you seen "An Inconvenient Truth"?

It's an intelligent film that should be seen with an open mind before writing off the idea that global warming is happening.

If you've already seen the film and you STILL believe there is no such thing as global warming, well, I can't help you then .

Last edited by riveree; 07-14-2007 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: spelled "inconvenient" wrong...what is with me tonight??

Old 07-15-2007, 08:45 AM

An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore is getting richer by the day!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:

Hey beaurocrats, just get out of my way and let me build the first self-sufficient "off grid" home. Stop writing stupid laws that are killing the innovation of the USA,
Again, I don't put blame on "the government" for stifling innovation, but rather on our unelected masters, the large corporations. How many innovative patents has big oil bought up only to put them in a drawer somewhere?

In my opinion, the government needs to provide money a la the Manhattan project to give incentives to would-be inventers such as yourself to make their alternative energy products marketable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick
And because people are unwilling to give up the SUVs we all lived perfectly happy without for decades (and which families of 4 in Europe and the US travel more frequently and further WITHOUT), emissions controls are the only way to go. But anyway, we can either deal with it now, or trudge the long slow path towards the market forcing change on you with $4-$5/gallon gas in a couple of years when you're 2 years in your 5 year car loan on that guzzler that gets 12/mpg!!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 AM

I can't argue with truth like this. Especially cannot understand the SUV mentality, a station wagon was a better choice. I hate seeing those Cadillac Escalades driving around with huge rims and ghetto sounds, but then again I drive a 1969 Dodge that only gets 21 MPG on the highway.

Someone should see how many patents big oil actually bought. Perhaps some are in the public domain by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida