Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Florida may be a sliding step downward, especially if one is in need of a job providing a liveable wage (and the accompanying job security and benefits) and/or needs quality governmental services (quality schools for the education of one's children).
Depending on where you decide to re-locate, FL schools are on par with anywhere else in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
It's also good for working-class retirees who have a not-so-substantial pension -- every little bit helps, especially if you needed to retire before Social Security eligibility. Moving here has saved us over $7500 yearly in property taxes alone -- and that can only go up as the property tax rates in NJ continue to rise.
Your post further reinforces the premise that you are a member of the population that benefits most from the Florida tax code. You are a person who earned her living elsewhere, and will spend her retirement years living off her New Jersey pension/ benefits. Unlike most Florida working stiffs, you left your home state with a decent pension, and if you owned your home, that housing appreciation/ liveable wages earned more than offset any property taxes that you paid. Florida is your financial paradise now because your money earned elsewhere (as well as, your Social Security, estate, and inheritance) is exempt from any direct state taxation. For you, and the extremely wealthy, the predominance of the state services is being paid by someone else, And yes, you are getting quite a bargain.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Your post further reinforces the premise that you are a member of the population that benefits most from the Florida tax code. You are a person who earned her living elsewhere, and will spend her retirement years living off her New Jersey pension/ benefits. Unlike most Florida working stiffs, you left your home state with a decent pension, and if you owned your home, that housing appreciation/ liveable wages earned more than offset any property taxes that you paid. Florida is your financial paradise now because your money earned elsewhere (as well as, your Social Security, estate, and inheritance) is exempt from any direct state taxation. For you, and the extremely wealthy, the predominance of the state services is being paid by someone else, And yes, you are getting quite a bargain.
Your post ignores the people who've started out in FL and work in FL in fields such as finance, health, aerospace/engineering and small businesses like restaurants, hotels etc. They've benefited from FL's business-friendly tax climate without stepping foot in states like PA or NJ.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
It's also good for working-class retirees who have a not-so-substantial pension -- every little bit helps, especially if you needed to retire before Social Security eligibility. Moving here has saved us over $7500 yearly in property taxes alone -- and that can only go up as the property tax rates in NJ continue to rise.
That's one of the biggest problems with our state. People move here and retire. They suck and suck, and suck our states resources like a lamprey, yet contribute virtually NOTHING to the state. Then when they die, we have to dispose of them somehow.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
That's one of the biggest problems with our state. People move here and retire. They suck and suck, and suck our states resources like a lamprey, yet contribute virtually NOTHING to the state. Then when they die, we have to dispose of them somehow.
Um most of what they use is social security and medicare, which are federal programs

Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 AM

199 posts, read 528,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Nonesense: Without tourism and snowbirds Florida would collapse financially. Look at the jobs created by Northerners, go to Walmart in winter and summer and see the difference in the lines of customers checking out.

I take nothing from Florida, but leave lots of my money here. I buy cars, motorcycles, a home, pay sales tax, property tax, license fees. I eat in local resturants that depend on the winter trade. I drop a ton of money at Lowes and HomeDepot. I bought my furniture here, Tv's, appliances, my clothers etc.

I have my health insurance and pay my own way. In no way do I or anyone else I know suck states resources. By me most of the home sales are to snowbirds. Just think of how many more vacant and foreclosed homes would be on the market, molding up.

The high cost of living in some city's is not something retirees can afford. It's a business decision to live better and save money. The beautiful weather gives retirees the opportunity to be outside, instead of living indoors in the cold north. Try shoveling snow when your 80 years old.

Be glad were here, were shoring up your economy. There is no Disney in my city and everyone appreciates having a job, so they can retire someday also.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
Nonesense: Without tourism and snowbirds Florida would collapse financially. Look at the jobs created by Northerners, go to Walmart in winter and summer and see the difference in the lines of customers checking out.

I take nothing from Florida, but leave lots of my money here. I buy cars, motorcycles, a home, pay sales tax, property tax, license fees. I eat in local resturants that depend on the winter trade. I drop a ton of money at Lowes and HomeDepot. I bought my furniture here, Tv's, appliances, my clothers etc.

I have my health insurance and pay my own way. In no way do I or anyone else I know suck states resources. By me most of the home sales are to snowbirds. Just think of how many more vacant and foreclosed homes would be on the market, molding up.

The high cost of living in some city's is not something retirees can afford. It's a business decision to live better and save money. The beautiful weather gives retirees the opportunity to be outside, instead of living indoors in the cold north. Try shoveling snow when your 80 years old.

Be glad were here, were shoring up your economy. There is no Disney in my city and everyone appreciates having a job, so they can retire someday also.
Well said.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:

please... lol

Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:

Don't you find it ironic that you're able to come down to Florida and buy cars, motorcycles, houses, clothes, appliances, and have health insurance but most of the natives that live there every day of the year and have since birth can't ?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Don't you find it ironic that you're able to come down to Florida and buy cars, motorcycles, houses, clothes, appliances, and have health insurance but most of the natives that live there every day of the year and have since birth can't ?
Sorta like TX, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida