Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
If someone would post the state's average income of a Floridia, I would question the credibility of the information. I would ask if/how the income was calculated (pensions,welfare,income earned from out-of state) and what population was counted (strictly residents, or were the non-residents, students, illegals, etc.) in the equation? Wouldn't the billionaires/millionaires completely skew the numbers and make Florida appear to be a much wealthier state than it really is? Would it not be much more meaningful to know the median salaries?

What both the Teacher Portal site and Education Weekly posted as average teacher salaries are truly bogus. Neither site states whether these are the salaries of strictly public school teachers, or are day care providers/ teachers, private school teachers, cyber school teachers, and/or parochial school teachers. If all are included in the equation, of course, states like Florida who pay their public teachers wages closer to the wages of the lowest tier of many of the northern states, will appear to be much closer to the "average" of many. A much more accurate comparison variable would be to define the population (eg. public school teachers only) at a median salary. Also, it might be more pertinent to compare teacher benefits nationally as part of the salary package, and then, see how great the discrepancies truly are.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a idiom that has been often used to describe the influential power of numbers. Nothing could be more true than many of the statistics that many of our leaders create to deflect attention from the truth. Average teacher salaries and the purported educational gains of students taking state tests are lies, damned lies, and statistics and are the simplest means to misguide those who trust.
So then you shouldn't mind posting a link that proves your hypothesis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM

74 posts, read 275,043 times
I don't know how the rest of Florida is but I went to school in Broward County (not too long ago) and the education system was HORRIBLE. The schools focus more on the stupid FCAT then actually teaching them anything of importance. All they care about is the money they'd get from the standardized testing. My sister still attends Taravella and it has not changed.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertrepuR View Post
I don't know how the rest of Florida is but I went to school in Broward County (not too long ago) and the education system was HORRIBLE. The schools focus more on the stupid FCAT then actually teaching them anything of importance. All they care about is the money they'd get from the standardized testing. My sister still attends Taravella and it has not changed.
Your post probably has greater validity and reliability than most when it comes to evaluating school quality. Do you think that most of your fellow Florida public high school graduates would concur with your opinion?

Florida schools are not alone in teaching to the tests. The only difference is that FCAT is called by another name when administered across state boundaries. The politicians that create these tests have only one goal in mind- to show higher numbers in their political arena. It means little to the politicians whether the student is learning, or that the student is challenged to his/her highest potential, but the numbers must be higher. High scores sell houses, and high scores will advance personal political agendas. These tests are the focus of pseudo educational quality polls and are regularly "adjusted" to insure that more test-takers get higher scores. This is a really lousy system, and our younger generation is really being cheated of the highest quality education deserved.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Your post probably has greater validity and reliability than most when it comes to evaluating school quality. Do you think that most of your fellow Florida public high school graduates would concur with your opinion?

Florida schools are not alone in teaching to the tests. The only difference is that FCAT is called by another name when administered across state boundaries. The politicians that create these tests have only one goal in mind- to show higher numbers in their political arena. It means little to the politicians whether the student is learning, or that the student is challenged to his/her highest potential, but the numbers must be higher. High scores sell houses, and high scores will advance personal political agendas. These tests are the focus of pseudo educational quality polls and are regularly "adjusted" to insure that more test-takers get higher scores. This is a really lousy system, and our younger generation is really being cheated of the highest quality education deserved.
It really is a lousy system, and I am aware that Florida is not the only state that does this. However, I attended high school in New York for the first two years of High School, and spent the last two years of them in Florida. There is no way Florida schools can compare to those of the New York schools. I was always learning something new at the school in NY, being challanged, yet here I didn't learn anything. The teachers aren't very good and neither was the system we had. I had a better education in New York without a doubt.

Now, obviously I'm sure you can find a crappy school in NY, and great school in Florida. I'm talking about the majority though.

Also, in NY (and I think California and a few other states) don't have an "FCAT", they have the regents, which in my opinion are way better. It actually focuses on all subjects instead of just reading, math, and writing.

And not to mention when I attended High School here in Florida, we actually had a full class period dedicated to "learning the FCAT". Ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
All you gotta do to realize how bad it is here is to get in the workforce here. I'm surprised half these people could actually fill out an application.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times
Quote:
It really is a lousy system, and I am aware that Florida is not the only state that does this. However, I attended high school in New York for the first two years of High School, and spent the last two years of them in Florida. There is no way Florida schools can compare to those of the New York schools. I was always learning something new at the school in NY, being challanged, yet here I didn't learn anything. The teachers aren't very good and neither was the system we had. I had a better education in New York without a doubt.

Now, obviously I'm sure you can find a crappy school in NY, and great school in Florida. I'm talking about the majority though.

Also, in NY (and I think California and a few other states) don't have an "FCAT", they have the regents, which in my opinion are way better. It actually focuses on all subjects instead of just reading, math, and writing.

And not to mention when I attended High School here in Florida, we actually had a full class period dedicated to "learning the FCAT". Ridiculous.
This is not a problem that is unique to FL. We have the same issues with our public schools in NJ teaching to the NJ Ask test.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:

Did you know a few years ago Florida Education "officials" went to NY to talk about instituting Regents type tests in Florida? FCAT's are not SUBJECT tests like the Regents and that is the problem with the FCAT, especially since they now want to grade the teachers on how well students do on the FCAT. What about a Social Studes, Foreign Languages, etc., teachers whose subject is not ON the FCAT?

I also graduated from NY schools through college. I have worked in both NY and Florida schools. No comparison, and New York ISN'T the best there is in the country.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Did you know a few years ago Florida Education "officials" went to NY to talk about instituting Regents type tests in Florida? FCAT's are not SUBJECT tests like the Regents and that is the problem with the FCAT, especially since they now want to grade the teachers on how well students do on the FCAT. What about a Social Studes, Foreign Languages, etc., teachers whose subject is not ON the FCAT?

I also graduated from NY schools through college. I have worked in both NY and Florida schools. No comparison, and New York ISN'T the best there is in the country.
You're right, it's not the best in the country, but it is better than Florida.

The whole education system is flawed, and there was something in the paper a few months ago saying that they were going to make it harder for children to even graduate from Kindergarten.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
You're right, it's not the best in the country, but it is better than Florida.

The whole education system is flawed, and there was something in the paper a few months ago saying that they were going to make it harder for children to even graduate from Kindergarten.
Florida is going to administer state tests to PRE-K kids, who don't even HAVE to be in school. Why are they doing this? Simple, so they can grade the TEACHERS! Imagine trying to get a 4 year old to even sit long enough to take some state test?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,205 times
FL plans a test for every single subject, in every single grade. We have to make sure the elementary art teacher isn't a slacker, you know? So it's a multiple choice "art" test for those 6 year olds who have art once every 8 days! Time for less painting and more fact drilling.

The only stakeholder who wins here is the testing company. BIG money flowing to them, beginning right about now.

I've pretty much had it with Florida's brain-dead "leaderhip" and bass ackwards approach to everything. Other states are making sensible steps toward accountability, while we implement a "ready, fire, aim" approach with an untested new evaluation system, no pilot program, and a $2 Billion state deficit that will once again force us to cut education. We are already almost dead last out of 50 states in education spending and teacher pay, yet we thing the answer is more cuts. This will not end well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida