Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM

146 posts, read 225,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
Looks like FL will be front and center on tonight's 60 minutes. They are going to show how homeless families in central Florida are an epidemic. Anyone living in FL has already known this and anyone that searches data correctly also knows. Check out the FL dept of education's websites and you will find that most school districts in FL have way over the national average of kids on free and reduced lunch programs. Schooldigger.com also has this data easily available. What these media people should also focus on is the story of how the state government has spent years focusing only on their largest constituent category: Seniors....and have left all others to rot. As a wise old ex-Floridian once stated: Florida is a beautiful resort area nestled in the palm trees of a Third World Country!

60 Minutes spotlights homeless Central Florida kids - OrlandoSentinel.com
Three decades of fairy-tale economics, which finally imploded in 2007-2008. Homeless kids are the collateral damage and merely a tiny harbinger of what is to come.

Unless things radically change in this nation, we will soon enter into a long era of free-market feudalism. It will be era where the tiny coterie of the population composed of folks like Rick Scott, the Koch brothers, Trump, law partners, and wealthy hedge fund managers will - liberated from the "theft" of taxation and the demands of those "mooching free-riding" middle class folks for fairness in wages and benefits - indulge in a corpulent life of excesses that would have made the Roman elites blush, while the remaining 98.5% of the population wonders where the next meal and rent payment are coming from.

If you are middle-class today and think that your job, lifestyle, and/or community are safe, you are sadly mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Three decades of fairy-tale economics, which finally imploded in 2007-2008. Homeless kids are the collateral damage and merely a tiny harbinger of what is to come.

Unless things radically change in this nation, we will soon enter into a long era of free-market feudalism. It will be era where the tiny coterie of the population composed of folks like Rick Scott, the Koch brothers, Trump, law partners, and wealthy hedge fund managers will - liberated from the "theft" of taxation and the demands of those "mooching free-riding" middle class folks for fairness in wages and benefits - indulge in a corpulent life of excesses that would have made the Roman elites blush, while the remaining 98.5% of the population wonders where the next meal and rent payment are coming from.

If you are middle-class today and think that your job, lifestyle, and/or community are safe, you are sadly mistaken.
You're right. It'll be a death of a thousand cuts-slow and gradual until austerity becomes all most people know. Maybe Americans will wise up in time, but I'm not holding my breath-Americans seem to worship their masters.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
I agree, and I will add...

If you don't like it, now's the time to speak up. Don't just sit and complain, DO something. Email your representatives, call them, let them know what you think.

Too late will come very fast.

Just one option:

Awake The State

Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
To the last 3 posters....WOW. That's all I have to say.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
To the last 3 posters....WOW. That's all I have to say.
So if you don't agree, write and call your congresspeople and tell them what *you* think. There are Tea Party rallies, go find one of those.

No one seems to follow through anymore. I wish everyone would speak up, that's all. I hear so much complaining, on all sides, and so little following through. It's aggravating.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Awake the State:
"Awake The State is a series of local rallies taking place throughout Florida on March 8th opposing budget cuts Floridians simply can't afford." It is basically progressives and union organizations who are unwilling to recognize that a balanced budget is the only way to go. I am so sick of hearing about how the state or the federal government can't possibly cut anything. It all can be cut and it all must be cut and everything must be on the table. It's not governments that pay the salaries and the programs, it's taxes collected from all of us. Sorry, but I can't afford you anymore and I don't owe you a living. Neither does my neighbor, his neighbor, her neighbor, etc. If the money is there, fine, great, let's do all we can do. If the money isn't there, common sense says you don't keep spending like you still have the money. You don't like spending cuts? Start voluntarily paying more in taxes and tell all your progressive and liberal friends to start doubling or tripling their tax donations. What's that? YOU don't want to pay the additional money? You want rich people to pay way more than anyone else, right? Why? Because you want your utopian society but you don't want to put YOUR money where your mouth is. Pathetic leaches....

Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Sorry buddy, it's hardly people who are sitting around on welfare who are upset. It's people who work hard and earn their money. People who would like their children to continue to be able to ride the bus, attend magnet programs, who need special education, who want the police and firefighters to be able to respond when they need them, and who think there are enough loopholes for the corporations already.

I don't agree with not making any cuts, but the suggested budget is ridiculous. Especially when the governor has doubled his own budget.

Last edited by Maggi07; 03-07-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
That's rich-a Real Estate agent calling someone a leech. Next time you turn on your tap and nothing comes out or raw sewage is gushing out of the manhole in front of your house, fix it yourself.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
I'm glad to see many of you watched the segment. If you missed, you can go to youtube and watch it in segments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syo6ETeNGC0. Just a good reminder of how the state is sinking quite a bit faster than most others and as the rest of the economy recovers. Now the space program jobs are leaving central FL also - Space shuttle last launch June 28th. State workers are going to be forced to take 6-7% out of their pay. What's next? Fuel is going back to $4.00/gal. Florida is and will be for along time, the model "service" industry state. Come one, come all and get your fantastic $8.00 and hour job!
No different than it happening many other states. Places like CA and MI have unemployment rates that would rival ours. Detroit is pretty much a dead zone these days

Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I didn't say anything about anyone on welfare. Where did you get that from? And you are ignoring my point. If there's not enough money for every program and every state job, you either have to raise taxes or make cuts. So which is it going to be? Stop complaining about the decisions being made and start providing solutions. What should we cut then from the budget so no one feels that their ox has been goared? By the way, my wife is one who will be affected by the cuts so, yeah, I understand why people might be upset but sometimes you have to take the bitter pill to get better.

Vaughan, if you are saying that I am a leech, I'd like to hear any proof that you may have or was that just a typical ad hominem attack made against anyone who dissagrees with your position? Perhaps it was just the best you could do when faced with a position you can't argue against? I had in mind people who espouse redistribution of wealth as long as it's not their wealth that gets redistributed. Not sure what you are claiming. On second thought, nevermind...I really have no interest in hearing any BS you might have to offer. I've seen it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida