Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
With all the social pigeonholing that Puerto Ricans have been exposed to since the U.S. invaded the island in 1898, can you truly blame those of us who have a short temper? Imagine yourself growing up as a second-class citizen for all intents and purposes except to serve in wartime, with no voice or vote in Washington and being stereotyped as lazy and indolent while all your possible opportunities for a better education and career growth are deferred to U.S. mainland interests on the island and politicians who cater to them. Imagine how you would feel if any drunk could run over a family member of yours on the street and be pardoned by the governor because he is a U.S. serviceman. Imagine going to a sales convention in Atlanta to get to know the firm you work for better and being asked "Where do you hide your switchblade?" in front of a regional manager, like I was, and being told by your boss to bite your tongue, because it was a losing battle. Imagine hearing that some politician from the sticks of Oklahoma puts forth a motion in the Capitol to revoke your citizenship because he doesn't think that you are 'American' enough, even though someone from every generation in your family has served in wartime since 1917. Imagine being a child and hearing folks who loiter on your front stoop call your dad a s*p*i*c whenever he goes out to work his honest factory job. Tell me that would not put you in a bad mood, tell me that you are Irish-American, or Italo-American, or a Southerner or whatever, and that you would put on a rosy smile and say 'yessuh' if someone told you that you could exist, but that you had better not be yourself, had better not celebrate St. Patty's day too loudly, or say 'fugetaboutit' or wear a Dixie flag on your hat. Tell me that you would dare say anything to someone with a 'Republic of Texas bumper sticker on their truck. Tell me that you have warm, red blood in your veins and that you would cheerfully put up with all that, tail tucked between your legs, if they did it to you.
I hope you don't think I meant that quote as something offensive. I totally understand the Puerto-Rican struggle. I'm Haitian. I'm right there with you. I would never question the amount of prejudice and bias your people go through and how you had to fight for everything you have and stand for. I apologize if what I said offended you. I really didn't mean it that way. I was just telling another user what I noticed about PR's.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 PM

114 posts, read 279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We lived in So. FL for 12 years and noticed that Hispanics, no matter how long they have lived in the U.S. (and FL) or how excellent their English is, will revert to speaking Spanish whenever there is a couple or more of them together. This is especially annoying in a business setting or in a restaurant where they can become quite loud.
REALLY?? what about all the hispanics who don't speak Spanish? I know you people think that everyone brown must have just arrived but that is bullcrap.

edit: there are tons of hispanics who are lighter than the average white person...how do those people speak in groups?

Last edited by citizen000483; 04-26-2011 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
We lived in So. FL for 12 years and noticed that Hispanics, no matter how long they have lived in the U.S. (and FL) or how excellent their English is, will revert to speaking Spanish whenever there is a couple or more of them together. This is especially annoying in a business setting or in a restaurant where they can become quite loud.
Learn Spanish and join the fun, otherwise tough luck it's America.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Let's face it, the OP asked this ridiculous question just to get people going. Let's not take the bait.
I didn't realize it was a troll and was interested in the question. My son sold his property outside of Haines City because of the problems they were having up towards Poinciana with PR's. He said he was tired of going into WalMart in HC and hearing nothing but Spanish. He lived in St Augustine but had property outisde of HC that he had thought about retiring to and he visited fairly ofter. I have never known him to be racist, just practical about his property value.

I have a recent acquaintance who is Puerto Rican and I enjoy her company very much. Once of my youngest daughters best friends was Puerto Rican. I loved the food, yum yum.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Exactly! This is one of the most racist things I've seen on the forum and should have been pulled. Where's a moderator when you need one?
why is that ? I think it is legitimate discourse....as long as people don't start namecalling and discuss how they feel without rancor.......

Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 AM

199 posts, read 365,765 times
Quote:
Actually, not louder than the average group of friends that gets together in a restaurant. If it's not against written policy or immoral or illegal, learn to mind your own business and live with it, I suspect that folks that have nothing to do with you, speaking to each other in Spanish is just one of many innocuous, harmless thing that you find "especially annoying".

Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
most of them end up moving to NYC for work and to be near relatives, florida seems to be a temporary stopping grounds for many ricans. they leave the island for economic reasons, florida has no economy or job market
There are more Puerto Ricans in NYC than in Puerto Rico.
Fact.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 28,159 times
Why do they put that flag on the back of their vehicles?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM

114 posts, read 279,518 times
ever been to Texas? does it offend you that so many Texan's have the Texas flag on their vehicles?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM

21 posts, read 28,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
ever been to Texas? does it offend you that so many Texan's have the Texas flag on their vehicles?
I don't know. I only asked because my girlfriend told me if you put that flag on the back of your car in New York City, it will never be broken into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida