Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 04:05 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Nonsense.
Your problem is you're living your entire life under artificial circumstances which is what 24/7 A/C really is and you're not allowing your body to become accustomed to the surrounding temperature.
Even in the hottest summer months I rarely have my A/C during the day,preferring instead to use shade and breeze from fans to make things more comfortable.
I only use it at night to aid sleep.
You should try to experiment a little and you'll quickly find how easily you adapt to nature.
What is bizarre is people who have their A/C running at a temperature only a few degrees cooler than what it is outside.
My tips for anyone to really get the best out of the Florida heat is to lose weight,drink plenty of water,ease off the sugary drinks,lose weight,do some exercise like walking in the evening,lose weight and try to wean yourself off the ice-cold A/C.It's not how the good Lord created your bodies to adapt to nature's vicissitudes.
Most of all lose weight.Your body becomes like a furnace trying to cool down all those extra pounds you're carrying around.
Being grossly obese - which many Floridians that I see are - is no fun in hot weather.
You and that fat BS you spew is a total joke. I am 6.2 190 and hate the insane heat when we are stuck in a reverse west wind flow 85% of the summer. I was born here and hated it back when i was a kid and hate it even more since my summers see very little rain and 24/7 sunshine thanks to a displaced high pressure ridge due to weather change around the planet. Get it thru your head , some peeps don't like our summer weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:07 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I should also add that without air conditioning, Florida is hell. My car's AC is broken and even at only 65 degrees it gets really hot inside. You ever tried driving down in Florida with a broken car AC and broken windows. Ain't fun lol I have also had the AC at my house broken, and its even worse.
I almost never run my A/C in my cars - trucks. Robs it of horse power.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
While it is hot and humid in Florida we couldn't live here in Phoenix without A/C! Yeah it's a "dry heat" but after 110 degrees it really doesn't matter. Hot is hot!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 AM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
I should also add that without air conditioning, Florida is hell. My car's AC is broken and even at only 65 degrees it gets really hot inside. You ever tried driving down in Florida with a broken car AC and broken windows. Ain't fun lol I have also had the AC at my house broken, and its even worse.
I have a convertible, so I effectively never drive with AC since I drop the roof.

In fact, if you enter the freeway you want the temperature at least 85 otherwise it's too cold with all the wind, so I drive with the roof down more in the summer than the winter.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:11 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You and that fat BS you spew is a total joke. I am 6.2 190 and hate the insane heat when we are stuck in a reverse west wind flow 85% of the summer. I was born here and hated it back when i was a kid and hate it even more since my summers see very little rain and 24/7 sunshine thanks to a displaced high pressure ridge due to weather change around the planet. Get it thru your head , some peeps don't like our summer weather.
I can assure you the " fat BS " is not a total joke but simply the laws of physics.
Over-weight people sweat more profusely than normal-weight individuals because fat acts as an insulator that raises core temperature. Sweating is a natural process to maintain your body temperature so, due to the excess layers of fat, an obese person's body temperature is higher than that of a thin individual.
Of course whether you like or dislike Florida's heat is a personal opinion but there's no doubt fat people are going to suffer more than thin.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:13 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Exactly. I have always kept myself in good shape, and the humidity treats me no different.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
I guess we are all just "different". I don't notice the heat in Florida, even during the summer. It's hot, ok, who cares? If anything, I walk outside, it's hot as heck, and I'm thinking "time to jump in the pool" or "I want to take my waverunner to the sandbar." Just Saturday I was out at on the lake at Markham with a bunch of people with boats and jet skiis. Drinking beers, swimming, etc. It's a blast. 2 minutes from my house. If getting outside and enjoying the heat isn't your thing, then you probably won't like Florida. For me? It's paradise and it's NEVER "too hot".

Old 03-28-2016, 09:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
I drove a '65 Ford Falcon for 15 years here. I did have a 12vdc fan under the dash and a side vent window though.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Nonsense.
Your problem is you're living your entire life under artificial circumstances which is what 24/7 A/C really is and you're not allowing your body to become accustomed to the surrounding temperature.
Even in the hottest summer months I rarely have my A/C during the day,preferring instead to use shade and breeze from fans to make things more comfortable.
I only use it at night to aid sleep.
You should try to experiment a little and you'll quickly find how easily you adapt to nature.
What is bizarre is people who have their A/C running at a temperature only a few degrees cooler than what it is outside.
My tips for anyone to really get the best out of the Florida heat is to lose weight,drink plenty of water,ease off the sugary drinks,lose weight,do some exercise like walking in the evening,lose weight and try to wean yourself off the ice-cold A/C.It's not how the good Lord created your bodies to adapt to nature's vicissitudes.
Most of all lose weight.Your body becomes like a furnace trying to cool down all those extra pounds you're carrying around.
Being grossly obese - which many Floridians that I see are - is no fun in hot weather.

I would agree. My brother lives in Pembroke Pines (Ft Lauderdale) and rarely uses a/c in the summer. He stays fit as fiddle, at the gym a couple of hours a day, 6 days a week. He swims in the pool a lot. He told me does bring the temp down iuf he starts sweating in the house. Otherwise its open windows and open sliding glass doors.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...kqd0gjvjpg.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida