Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 14,151 times

Advertisements

Well said ipoetry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 PM

114 posts, read 279,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
I don't need a job thanks..I am self employed..of course that means I pay 100% out of pocket for all those things government workers feel entitled to..

..health insurance and retirement being among them.

..and of course..I'm supposed to pay for THEIR'S as well.
yeah and your customers pay YOUR bills...its called an economy

Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM

181 posts, read 291,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
yeah and your customers pay YOUR bills...its called an economy
They choose my service...and get exactly what they want..or go elsewhere.

..not the same thing as dealing with governments.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch98 View Post
I just want to know. Do you not realize that there are a lot of people out there that begrudge folks for making a living... No matter how hard they work. It's like you don't know how much crap someone has to put up with and then they're harrassed because Florida's sunshine law allows for their personal income to be posted for everyone to see. Please tell me why don't we know how much the crooks make that rip us off daily? Those people who don't happen to work for the state? For example, there are a lot of people with shady businesses in the private industry who cost a lot of us more money than we'd like to think. Why do they get a break when others who work for the state are caught off guard when some dimwit publishes their salary? Don't you realize there are a lot of nuts out there that simply don't have the insight to comprehend what it takes to teach in public schools?

Just because someone may hold a grudge that does not mean they do not have the right to know what public employees make. There are people who begrudge public employees their salaries. There is no doubt about that. However, that is no reason to keep public employee salaries from the people who are paying them.

Florida is not the only state where government employee salaries are available to the general public. I have lived in CT and in NY and both states made state employee information available. Salaries were published in the newspaper in both states. I am sure that MOST states make government employee salaries public although I have only ever lived in NY, CT and FL.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:17 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
JM1822 - great post!!! Wish I could rep you multiple times.

I second this....

Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
"As a government worker, would that work for you?"

Actually it would. In addition to my pension, I have for decades lived frugally, invested well into my OWN 401K and made other wise investments....but I do not want to go off topic.

The point some here are not getting is that the original poster and other Gov't employees here have already stated they understand salaries being public knowledge. It's when they post individual salaries, and then publish them incorrectly just to cause a stir that is wrong.

Frank

Thank you.... as what I bolded was to be the main theme of this post!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
"As a government worker, would that work for you?"

Actually it would. In addition to my pension, I have for decades lived frugally, invested well into my OWN 401K and made other wise investments....but I do not want to go off topic.

The point some here are not getting is that the original poster and other Gov't employees here have already stated they understand salaries being public knowledge. It's when they post individual salaries, and then publish them incorrectly just to cause a stir that is wrong.

Frank
Frank is right.

I'm married to a gov. retiree with a masters degree who traveled, sometimes on Sunday afternoons for early Monday meetings, and missed most every Halloween, birthdays, anniversaries, etc., even Mother's Day! He was making peanuts while dot com-ers with far less education were raking it in. We scraped by and knew in the end it would all even out. We didn't buy new cars, still don't, but we lived a good life and we're enjoying a nice retirement.

We have friends who during that same time were living high. They saved nothing and now in their late fifties are without health benefits or savings yet they kept their kids in new cars from the age of 16, took nice trips, lived in big houses, and now their envious of government retirees. Go figure.

I can't speak for state workers but I can tell you that for the most part, government workers are educated and if you're comparing a government employee's salary to a do-you-want-paper-or-plastic employee, each are fairly compensated for their talents.

People these days need to blame someone for the economy so let's all kick government employees. Ten years from now when the economy swings the other way you'll treat them like trash under your feet.. mere public servants.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,609 times
When the salaries of the legislative branch are made that easily accessible to the public, I'll be impressed. That's where the big bucks are rolling in. However, that will never happen. He who controls the money never reveals what he has....

Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
I'm just now skimming through this thread. But I personally know firefighters and engineers, etc. (folks mentioned in this thread). Firefighters actually do pretty darn well financially. I know several, including a family member. I want to say that someone mentioned a salary of $31,000, but they make more than that. Some do VERY well, just depending on what area of FL you are in.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't know the website (or article) but, if it reveals the information at the individual employee level, I don't think the general public should have the right to know what an individual public employee earns.
Tampa Tribune does, they have been doing it for years...

Fact Finder - Government Salaries | TBO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida