Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
For me I feel like with Fla you see a few parts you've seen it all. A drive on I-75 is the same drap scenery till I hit I 4 to 95 then to Northern Fla. I feel like I can only see so many beaches before its sand, palm trees, some grassy area and water . Swamp kinda looks like welll swamp and the rest is just mostly some akes and springs.. Up north or other parts you have mountains which can vary in size, shape frequency etc. Also I think with the season change the scenery changes too. In fla (at this far south) there isn't a really distinct change in season but maybe a few days a year so you don't get a season of flowers blooming, leaves falling off nor do u get a change in wardrobe. All of that can equal a feeling of monotony and just feel boring year after year after year
Sounds like we agree. Interesting in that we both live in the same place too! Yes, you are right you have to get up around I-4 before the scenery changes from down here. When we drive up North at Christmas, I find it fascinating that when you get up around the Datona area it looks like FALL there in December. Naples is the same all year, but this a Snowbird Heaven so I guess they WANT it to look like a tropical resort for our infamous SEASON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM

345 posts, read 977,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
WOW!!! That is just amazingly BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Where are those Springs?! I'd love to go some day.
The first spring is Ichetucknee Springs (my all time favorite). The second is Ginnie Springs and the third is Juniper Springs. Those are just three of the many, many beautiful springs here.

I'd check out this site, as it contains a lot of good info and pictures of all of Florida's springs":

springsfever.org

Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 AM

345 posts, read 977,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've been to MANY places in florida (i've been here for 27 years) including places like ocala as mentioned above and I can't say I was blown away or even impressed by the scenery. Looks like the other small town fla type mossy grown trees ridden areas. I can't say I'm overly impressed by a cold water spring (or rainbow springs which I spend a week at) .. Mostly again just green scenery. I dunno just not my cup of tea
I guess the thing I love about the springs is how perfectly clear blue the water is, and how that contrasts with the greenery around it. Most inland bodies of water just don't have that type of clarity to them. They really are incredible in that aspect.

Taking the 10 minute walk at Ichetucknee to Blue Hole Spring for me is like taking a hike in the jungle with all the plant life and animal sounds.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I guess the thing I love about the springs is how perfectly clear blue the water is, and how that contrasts with the greenery around it. Most inland bodies of water just don't have that type of clarity to them. They really are incredible in that aspect.

Taking the 10 minute walk at Ichetucknee to Blue Hole Spring for me is like taking a hike in the jungle with all the plant life and animal sounds.
I can't deny that is neat the color of the water. I'm not saying Florida is completely BORING there is some beautiful I just feel the beauty isn't very varying from place to place and one might get the feeling seen it once seen it all

Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am from a state that had both beaches, seaports, mountains, pine barens, lakes, glaciers, and almost everything but a desert. We had fall foliage (none in SOUTH Florida) and snow. With all that you can still golf, fish, boat, swim, etc., just like Florida, but just not year round. The other times of the year you could do other things. How about sledding or skiing down a mountain? Can't do that in Florida. Hell when it comes to that, I suppose you could even say CALIFORNIA has it all over Florida too. No shoveling snow, BUT you can have your beach lifesyle year round there too, and if you want to skii down a mountain, you can too! If that is not the case, WHY are there so many commericals of VISIT CALIFORNIA in Florida??????

If I had to pick a place where my criteria was warm weather and just not shoveling snow, I would pick California over Florida any day.
Good. Please stay on the Florida forum and do a sales pitch for every person that wants to move to FL. It is crowded already, so send them to your state. Pretty please.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What some people should do is take a ride up 301 to Ocala.

Get away from the city.
I have driven every square inch of this state, and I can comment as follows to the above post:

301 is pretty much JUST like I-75 with the exceptions as follows:

Between Dade City and Lacooche, between Ocala and Waldo is fine, and a little bit near Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice. Every other square inch of 301 is pine tree after pine tree after pine tree. Actually I would argue that I-75 is more scenic between Dade City and the state line than 301...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Plenty of hills, trees and pretty scenery in Tallahassee.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post

Sshhhhhhhh!'

Don't tell the carpetbaggers. They'll come down in swarms and ruin what is left of Florida.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
You need to get off the interstates. They don't build interstates through the nice & scenic places...they build them over the flat lands that are easy & cheaper to build on.
You must have not been out of the state much:

Let me give you this:

I-81, pretty much the ENTIRE thing...
I-26 from Spartanburg, SC North to where it ends in Kingsport, TN
I-77 from just North of Statesville, NC to Charleston, WV
I-40 from Sevierville, TN to Hickory, NC
I-64 from Beckley, WV to Lexington, VA
I-75 from Marietta, GA to Lexington, KY, with the exception of around Knoxville, TN
I-85 from Norcross, GA to Gastonia, NC

This is just a small sample, I could be here all day doing this.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Sshhhhhhhh!'

Don't tell the carpetbaggers. They'll come down in swarms and ruin what is left of Florida.
Yea, they havent done that yet :lol:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida