Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 PM

455 posts, read 633,169 times

Advertisements

You are probably right ! California has alot to do with the C.C.P.O.A., they have the governors office in

their pocket, again, naive people digging a Hole if you will !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
They arrest so many people for so much minor nonsense, they cannot prioritize anything.

Fla. has one of the highest per capita prison populations, typical backwards southern mentality.
What were you arrested for that was so much minor nonsense?

Florida's prison population is a little on the high side compared to some other states but they also have 8 federal facilities which are included in the count which brings it up by about 13,000 inmates. Add the ICE facilities and you have a couple thousand more.

I realize other states have federal prisoners also but with 6.5% of of the total fed. prisoners in Florida it brings up the total count for the state, I am not sure if any state has a higher percentage but at 6.5 Florida certainly has a much higher percentage than many other states. And just because they are housed here does not mean the crime was committed here.

And I am confused about the "typical backwards southern mentality" comment. Is yours a typical northern mentality? Just throwing one useless sentence up with no meat to it and they fling another sentence calling an entire region with 114 million or so people backwards?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Arresting someone for pot posession is what I would consider nonsense.They have been growing the prison population since the late 70's I guess. I somehow felt safer back then, media hype I guess.

Anyway, the backwards southern mentality is the fact that anywhere you find evangelical religious types you will find the same things like high teen pregnancy,std's, poverty, over-zealous policing..and very high per capita prison populations.Lousiana and Alabama are right there too, I like to call Fla. Al. and La. the axis of Evil .If you look at pre capita prison rates, length of incarceration you will find the are leaders.

My main gripe is that too many Americans feel we can continue to pass more and more laws and imprison more and more.We are losing our humanity as a country, prisons solve nothing.

My own personal situation demonstrates this, I was nurse, got a DUI.They took my license, I became despondent nearly drank myself to death. I finally stopped but no matter, I still cannot return to my profession or even go back to school for any meaningful upwardly mobile path. It makes no sense, and the self righteous folks like yourself could give a rats ass about anyone except yourself and your own insecurities that lawyers use against you that only they benefit from.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
Well if you want a state that's REAL tough on crime, move to the Commonwealth of Virginia. They dont play the radio.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Wanna hear a true story ?

My wife and I moved to Houston, TX and used an apartment locator service because we needed a place to live. The locator put us in a horrible area of town. One night we heard gunshots outside of our apartment and for some reason, for the rest of the night I would peek outside the window.

At about 3am that night I spotted a guy with a flashlight going through the parking lot going into peoples cars. I yelled for my wife and she called 911. The cops got there after the guy had left but we were able to get his license plate number and his description. About an hour later, the police caught the guy. After we ID'd him, The cop tells us thank you and that they had been trying to catch this guy for months. Apparently he was a 2-time felon that was wanted in connection with armed robberies at a few local gas stations. They said that he would be put away for a LONG time.

Long story short, the Judge gave this guy a 1 year sentence for stealing $6,000 worth of electronics from cars in our parking lot. I checked the guys profile online a week after he was sentenced and his release date was scheduled for 2 months from that date.

Overly pissed off at the judge, I looked up his name on google and when I found him online, I did a facepalm. This guy was a judge in Tampa, FL before relocating to Texas.

Luckily, before this guy got out, someone else came forward and it turned out that two days before he broke into all of our cars, he robbed someone at gunpoint and is now facing a Texas Grand Jury. I heard he could 20 years in the Texas State Prison at Huntsville.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Arresting someone for pot posession is what I would consider nonsense.They have been growing the prison population since the late 70's I guess. I somehow felt safer back then, media hype I guess.

Anyway, the backwards southern mentality is the fact that anywhere you find evangelical religious types you will find the same things like high teen pregnancy,std's, poverty, over-zealous policing..and very high per capita prison populations.Lousiana and Alabama are right there too, I like to call Fla. Al. and La. the axis of Evil .If you look at pre capita prison rates, length of incarceration you will find the are leaders.

My main gripe is that too many Americans feel we can continue to pass more and more laws and imprison more and more.We are losing our humanity as a country, prisons solve nothing.

My own personal situation demonstrates this, I was nurse, got a DUI.They took my license, I became despondent nearly drank myself to death. I finally stopped but no matter, I still cannot return to my profession or even go back to school for any meaningful upwardly mobile path. It makes no sense, and the self righteous folks like yourself could give a rats ass about anyone except yourself and your own insecurities that lawyers use against you that only they benefit from.
So you are an alcoholic and this is Florida's fault in what way?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
I am a former workaholic from a big city in the North Eastern part of the US.....I got hit in the face with a baseball bat as a kid and again as an adult.. Been shot at by a criminal and a misguided cop who believed the gun is a thing that stops people that don't listen to his voice. What had happened is I was doing my evening runs and the cop thought I was running from him so he shot at me. I was just running to get in shape for my high school basketball team....Happened again some 15 years later so I stopped running for fear. Plenty of crime in the big city when I resided there and according to the newspapers the criminals still run wild.

I am now retired and living in SE Florida. The cops here take a no nonsense view on criminals including auto speeders, dope smugglers, marijuana growers and I wish they could put them on an island infested by animals and creatures that harm humans... Keep up the good work.

I believed that the southern way of life is "start off slow then ease up" and is true in cases involving good family values....I am happy to know that we for the most part are protected by the local police force....Just to ensure my family is going to be safe in our home environment I have a license to carry and I do....I really hope no one is foolish to invade our home while I am here but if someone does may God save them because they will be mine..

The California school system is for the birds....All 4 of my brothers get their first 2 years of college free thanks to their taxpayers. Some of the country's saddest areas for crime are located in California and if one was not aware of a certain area the person could get in trouble because the bad areas look like a regular middle class bunch of homes.

Last edited by Synergy1; 12-30-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

And whose fault is it that you got a DUI?

Considering how many horrific crashes occure here due to DUI I have no pity for you. There were several on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

One guy and three of his friends all drunk and high hit some poor guy going to work on Christmas night in Tampa. Two of them were killed.

That was just one of several last weekend.

The driver had a history of reckless driving.

And you didn't lose your nursing license from just one DUI, there is more to that story.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Default Do you have any proof ... or only rumor and annecdotal illustrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Why? And you wonder why people have no respect for anything in Florida? And why does something like this net 3 years Mastermind in Cape Coral Steak-n-Shake shootings case pleads guilty, sentenced to three years | The News-Press | news-press.com

Lawyer looks to drop murder charge in deadly shootout - ABC-7.com WZVN News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

the "mastermind" only gets 3 years??

but something like this gets 27? DNA on ski mask leads to arrest in Pasco home invasion - St. Petersburg Times

I don't know if it's racial or the county it's in or what it is but something ain't right. And I've also heard of plenty of people who have shot at someone who don't even do a day in county jail. Why is Florida so soft on everything it's almost a criminal's paradise. I've heard that the jails are too overcrowded to hold any more people.
"You've heard, you've heard" ... "and here are a couple of isolated examples that 'prove' my point" --- Come on now! --- All you've done is jumped-over a factual analysis of your underlying presumption and then asked "Why is my conclusion true?"

All real statistics CJIS, BLS, etc. show that Florida is actually pretty tough on crime. Also, in my years of real experience in working within the criminal justice system and prisons ....I've never heard anyone (particularly inmates) refer to Florida as "a criminal's paradise" -- In fact, it's one of the few states where criminals actually serve about 85% of their sentence ... which is perhaps why the prisons are full.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"You've heard, you've heard" ... "and here are a couple of isolated examples that 'prove' my point" --- Come on now! --- All you've done is jumped-over a factual analysis of your underlying presumption and then asked "Why is my conclusion true?"

All real statistics CJIS, BLS, etc. show that Florida is actually pretty tough on crime. Also, in my years of real experience in working within the criminal justice system and prisons ....I've never heard anyone (particularly inmates) refer to Florida as "a criminal's paradise" -- In fact, it's one of the few states where criminals actually serve about 85% of their sentence ... which is perhaps why the prisons are full.
This is exactly what I have been saying.

Doing Time in Florida Prisons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida