Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Whatever happened to her and I can't remember her daughter's name but she was even worse.

Anyhow to the OP, I just got a job offer yesterday , relocation paid, to North Carolina. I will say this much, the further North you go, I believe the greater the chance you won't be hired and likely be the first fired. I've had it happen in Michigan, let's face it, regardless of skill set who's a prudent business owner in MI going to give preference to? a transplanted Floridian or a born and raised in the frozen tundra with snow up to your waistline 4 months outta the year?
As far as I know, her and her daughter were banned, she came back under this name and her daughter Rachael84 came back as pondskater or something like that a few days ago but I think they deleted that account on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Even if it is just for a few years, it will be held against you if you want to move someplace else. You could have worked someplace else for a decade, and have been born, raised, educated, in another state, but your most recent experience in Florida will be held AGAINST YOU.

If you ever want to leave this this state, be warned of this. Living in the state of Florida will held against you, no matter how long you have live here.
Well I can imagine if the hiring manager or person doing the interview was jealous of your Florida experience not just work but the fact you lived here, the lifestyle or was a bitter person who did not have any success in moving here or had to leave here under depressing or negative terms, then possibly it might be a rare case.

After the 2000 election fiasco, there was a lot of negative views on Florida in general, many views the residents as plain old "stupid", especially anyone coming from Palm Beach County.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138;
After the 2000 election fiasco, there was a lot of negative views on Florida in general, many views the residents as plain old "stupid", especially anyone coming from Palm Beach County.
Yeah, too bad they never wanted to admit it was THEIR almost-senile grandparents from elsewhere moving down here that couldn't read the ballots.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 AM

29 posts, read 63,881 times
I worked in three different states(North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio) after I move from Florida and never got a negative feed back because I worked from Florida. Most of my co workers always talked about how they was go move to Florida. After I'm done with this job in Iowa this year I'm moving back to Florida.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:52 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
In the Northeast, Florida applicants are looked down on. Especially when they see how cheap they have worked for. At my job there is a daily flood of Florida applicants.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
In the Northeast, Florida applicants are looked down on. Especially when they see how cheap they have worked for. At my job there is a daily flood of Florida applicants.
Considering the pettiness, probably a good employer to avoid

Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Considering the pettiness, probably a good employer to avoid
I was thinking the same thing!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Its a sad fact but it tends to be true. Worked in the construction fields up here for years and it seemed that if someone from Florida applied for work they didnt usually get hired. There seemed to be quit a few workers show up in the summer. Mostly roofing guys. Theres a huge difference in the work ethic. I'm not saying thats a good thing or a bad thing but thats how it was. Not sure how it is now.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Even if it is just for a few years, it will be held against you if you want to move someplace else. You could have worked someplace else for a decade, and have been born, raised, educated, in another state, but your most recent experience in Florida will be held AGAINST YOU.

If you ever want to leave this this state, be warned of this. Living in the state of Florida will held against you, no matter how long you have live here.

How so? My husband worked in Fla for almost 10 years before we had moved to NH and he got hired no problems at all. Infact he had two PD's fighting over him for quite a few months before he chose one...maybe you're in the wrong field

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
Quote:

OK, I think I know where the OP is going with this. Kinda. Florida's education system was for a LONG TIME considered one of the worst in the nation. Due to that reason, alot of employers did not want to have offices in Florida, because they felt the population to be somewhat lacking (I say F-that, cuz we sure can drink and swim....but I digress) anywho. My personal experience has been that when I LEFT FLORIDA, I DOUBLED MY PAY. All With no college degree. I don't see how you transplants would have trouble moving back north or west, with Florida on your resume. I had no problem finding a job in Maryland - one of the most educated states in the nation, after leaving Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: