Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:38 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times

Advertisements

The only thing about living in a gated community is the seclusion from shopping, grocery stores, etc. Having lived in a pretty exclusive neighborhood in MetroWest (Orlando) I definitely prefer a more urban lifestyle. I don't know but I feel more connected with a city and feel more open and social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM

109 posts, read 207,804 times
To me, a "gated community" almost screams "rob me". There are plenty of neighborhoods in Orlando that aren't gated but are very nice and with relatively little crime.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
I live in an older neighborhood that is on the edge and also kind of interspersed with some not so desirable areas and people.....the thing that saves my street is that it is a dead end street and a lot of the people are at home during the day.....plus, some of the oldsters would take after you with a gun if they caught you.....LOL. But crime is everywhere these days and it is going to get worse. JMO. I suspect even my little street will not be immune. By the way, most of us have lived on the street anywhere from 35 years to 10-15 years....

Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My mom lives in a gated community and has had her shed broken into three times, and her car broken into once. This is all in a three year period. She also called the cops on someone who was high as a kite in her backyard trying to steal her bicycle that was chained up, he was so strung out he did not even comprehend the darn bicycle was chained up and made a whole lot of noise yelling and screaming trying to get it.

This not to mention the community break-in spree that occurred, they caught the people doing it, they were neighborhood teens.
my daughter lives in a very nice development in Charlotte, NC. They had two incidents of cars being broken into all over the neighborhood. It turned out the second time was several neighborhood teens from very good families. They tried very hard not to get people to not prosecute because some of the teens were "athletes" and it would ruin their lives.....besides a couple acted pretty thugish when they came to apologize......

I think the prosecuting attorney didn't prosecute very hard. They had to do some community service, etc....I think they were little thugs from what my daughter said and she is very not aggressive about this kind of thing.....very passive.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Last Saturday night somebody crashed through the gates completely demolishing them. I would guess their car also. If they want to get in, for whatever reason, they WILL. Who knows how long it will take the development to buy and install totally new gates, OR how much this is going to cost.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 15,169 times
It would be interesting if someone had some statistical data comparing crime rates in and outside of gated communities.

I look at gated communities as a crime deterrent and not something absolute, and what I'm referring to is a manned gate. I believe a guarded gate is the best protection available, a 24/7 patrol certainly adds to the protection. I am in no way saying this will totally prevent crime from happening in the community, but it does deter unwanted traffic and related problems. Unmanned gates with just a keypad do not afford much security, but I have seen car's and trucks turn around as soon as they spotted the gate.

Personally, I don't view those that live in gated communities as society snob's, but rather as those that choose this type of living because they feel they are truly receiving some type of security and just don't want all sorts of unwanted traffic roaming through their community. In many cases residences can speed dial the guard(s) if they see or hear anything suspicious.

I know because I lock my car doesn't mean that is can't be stolen, but having that security is better than nothing at all. It's a deterrent, as I mentioned earlier. Thieves always look for the easy mark, they don't want to draw a lot of attention or make a lot of noise. Any time we can make things a little more difficult for the thugs, we cut down our odds of being burglarized, vandalized etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I don't have a link for it, but I've heard that crime rates for gated and non-gated neighborhoods are usually pretty similar once you control for SES (socio-economic status)

Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
It’s funny, how you have convinced yourself all these things have made you safe. ha!
Those plus two large dogs and a shotgun, yup.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
The only thing about living in a gated community is the seclusion from shopping, grocery stores, etc. Having lived in a pretty exclusive neighborhood in MetroWest (Orlando) I definitely prefer a more urban lifestyle. I don't know but I feel more connected with a city and feel more open and social.
I can walk to Publix, Walgreen's and CVS, dentist, dry cleaner, etc. My neighborhood is very social, in fact I socialize more with my neighbors here than I did when I lived in an urban area.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Last Saturday night somebody crashed through the gates completely demolishing them. I would guess their car also. If they want to get in, for whatever reason, they WILL. Who knows how long it will take the development to buy and install totally new gates, OR how much this is going to cost.
What I find amusing is that there are people think they're really safe in one.

At best they keep away those who solicit door to door.

In the event of a natural disaster or an economic collapse the "have nots" will be heading towards the gated communities first.

In the belief(whether it is true or not) that this will be the best place to loot and steal or worse.

A four foot fence and a $8 an hour security guard isn't going to stop them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida