Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 28,715 times

Advertisements

I read that a Florida State rep (Fred Costello) recently introduced a bill to eliminate all property taxes in Florida...instead, the bill calls for raising the sales tax. Can anyone tell me the status of this bill? We're looking to escape the insane, out-of-control property taxes of Long Island (currently at just over $18,000/yr for us...NY is pathetic). If Florida really does eliminate property taxes, we're out of here. Thanks for your information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandra1981 View Post
I read that a Florida State rep (Fred Costello) recently introduced a bill to eliminate all property taxes in Florida...instead, the bill calls for raising the sales tax. Can anyone tell me the status of this bill? We're looking to escape the insane, out-of-control property taxes of Long Island (currently at just over $18,000/yr for us...NY is pathetic). If Florida really does eliminate property taxes, we're out of here. Thanks for your information.
How much is your house worth? Property taxes are relatively low here and since we do not have state income tax, I do not see how they would be able to eliminate property taxes. If they do, I am out of here. Excessive sales tax is absurd. By the way, you would pay that insanely high sales tax on the purchase of your home...

Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
I don't see that happening. We do no have state income tax which is the way it should be. I feel that state income tax is bascially legal robbery. I doubt the sales tax would work.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,279 times
Quote:
I read that a Florida State rep (Fred Costello) recently introduced a bill to eliminate all property taxes in Florida...instead, the bill calls for raising the sales tax.
republican logic at work...

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I don't see that happening. We do no have state income tax which is the way it should be. I feel that state income tax is bascially legal robbery. I doubt the sales tax would work.
Not to worry. It's written into the constitution to not have an income tax. It would pretty tough to get that changed (although certainly not impossible)

Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 28,715 times
Just to clarify, the proposal to eliminate property taxes would not be related to a state income tax...the current sales tax would be increased a couple of percentage points instead (and to a level still less than LI's sales tax). Is anyone familiar with the current status of this bill?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify, the proposal to eliminate property taxes would not be related to a state income tax...the current sales tax would be increased a couple of percentage points instead (and to a level still less than LI's sales tax). Is anyone familiar with the current status of this bill?
That would not work. Considering we live here and have not heard of it, I would imagine that it's bogus.

And if you think removing property tax would necessitate raising the sales tax "just a percentage or 2", I have some waterfront property in Nevada to sell you.

We dont care how bad your property tax is in New York. We have things just fine here, I recommend you stay put if you think our property tax is repressive.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM

This is what he is talking about I think. I doubt it even made it out of committee. The guy is a loon.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/1181

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/01/03...h-sales-taxes/

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2012/01/07/costello-wants-property-tax-cut-in-return-for-higher-sales-tax.html (broken link)

Old 02-19-2012, 07:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
I do not mind property tax except on two specific points:

1. A property tax also enables the government to seize your property if you do not pay, so a person is essentially renting their property from the government. They need to do away with the seizure power of the government.

2. Property taxes are not fairly assessed. Taxes should not be based on how much property is worth, the worth of a property is little reflection on the resources consumed by the property. Property taxes need to be fairly distributed, not just tied to property value.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
2. Property taxes are not fairly assessed. Taxes should not be based on how much property is worth, the worth of a property is little reflection on the resources consumed by the property. Property taxes need to be fairly distributed, not just tied to property value.
There's no way to fairly do that. Rent would be sky high as the cost would be offset to renters, it would also price a fair amount of people completely out of the housing market, just to offset the taxes of some upper class millionaires in 20,000 square foot houses? Even this wackjob teabagger group of Republicans know that would be political suicide and would never do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida