Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone but ive decided to just leave Florida alltogether and move to Oil city or some other affordable location where I can get a real house for $20k to $50k and some of them are very nice, much bigger and nicer than trailors. Plus I dont have hurricanes to worry about and the weather up north is better, Florida is too hot! Mobile homes are the only affordable means for most people that wish to stay in Florida, thats why theres so many mobile homes.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:46 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thanks everyone but ive decided to just leave Florida alltogether and move to Oil city or some other affordable location where I can get a real house for $20k to $50k and some of them are very nice, much bigger and nicer than trailors. Plus I dont have hurricanes to worry about and the weather up north is better, Florida is too hot! Mobile homes are the only affordable means for most people that wish to stay in Florida, thats why theres so many mobile homes.
Well there are plenty of mobile home parks in PA so you should be in luck, I don't know why people always say "Florida is too hot", PA in the summer get's brutal with no breeze and hazy along with all the pollution the ozone is real bad, so humid at times you can cut the air with a knife. It's unseasonably warm in PA now, temperatures reaching into the mid to high 50's this week. Global Warming is rearing it's ugly head.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:49 PM

LOL why would I buy a mobile home in PA when I can get a real house(bigger, nicer) for $20k to $50k? Houses are so cheap, you save very little on a mobile home over a home. In Florida, especially south ive seen mobile homes that looked nicer than the $200k houses and the mobile homes were a tiny fraction the price!

PA does not get hotter than Florida. city-data says it can get up to 80 degrees. Thats nothing, its 80 now in south Florida and summers can be 95!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
LOL why would I buy a mobile home in PA when I can get a real house(bigger, nicer) for $20k to $50k? Houses are so cheap, you save very little on a mobile home over a home. In Florida, especially south ive seen mobile homes that looked nicer than the $200k houses and the mobile homes were a tiny fraction the price!

PA does not get hotter than Florida. city-data says it can get up to 80 degrees. Thats nothing, its 80 now in south Florida and summers can be 95!
$20-50K, yes you can buy a house for that much, but it won't be anything special. More then likely require a lot of work and money along with yearly maint.

Have you ever lived in PA? Trust me it's get's hazy, hot and humid in the summer months with real bad Ozone levels with no breeze. The local news will spotlight the event as a "Heatwave" and Air Conditioner units will be sold out akin to Generators and Gas during the past Hurricanes.

Not too mention most older homes don't have central air, forced to use those window ac units that are good for maybe one room at most and watch your utility bill rise not too mention the cost of heating in the winter, whether it be oil, coal, gas, wood or electric.

Older homes are often not very efficient when it comes to utilities, it can cost a lot of $$ to make them so.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:

shouldnt you be packing your bags buy now? you've been talking about this move for a long long time. forget citi-data....i'm from the north east and it says 85 for a summer high......it gets atleast as hot and sticky as it does here,,just not for as long. BUT......i never took a breath here and had my lungs hurt because it was sooooooo cold.
why don't you go hang out in pa this february for a few weeks.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
$20-50K, yes you can buy a house for that much, but it won't be anything special. More then likely require a lot of work and money along with yearly maint.

Have you ever lived in PA? Trust me it's get's hazy, hot and humid in the summer months with real bad Ozone levels with no breeze. The local news will spotlight the event as a "Heatwave" and Air Conditioner units will be sold out akin to Generators and Gas during the past Hurricanes.

Not too mention most older homes don't have central air, forced to use those window ac units that are good for maybe one room at most and watch your utility bill rise not too mention the cost of heating in the winter, whether it be oil, coal, gas, wood or electric.

Older homes are often not very efficient when it comes to utilities, it can cost a lot of $$ to make them so.

Ill take a $20k to $50k house over a mobile home anyday. They are bigger, nicer, come with basements and built better. It could get warm up north thanks to global warming causing those heatwaves but Florida is always hot, up north at least its cool most of the time. Im fine with a window a/c unit, I only need to cool one room, my room. Cost of heating in winter? LOL please check the temperature in Pennsylvania its in the 40s and 50s, no heat needed! I dont mind needing heat for the occasional cold snap that brings temps into the teens. In fact I will try growing palm trees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
shouldnt you be packing your bags buy now? you've been talking about this move for a long long time. forget citi-data....i'm from the north east and it says 85 for a summer high......it gets atleast as hot and sticky as it does here,,just not for as long. BUT......i never took a breath here and had my lungs hurt because it was sooooooo cold.
why don't you go hang out in pa this february for a few weeks.

I want to visit PA in the winter but it looks like there isnt really a winter, temperatures are 50 degrees!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Listed below are the stats for mobile homes in the USA, Florida ranks # 17. DOn't be surprise by the top 10....

Rank States Amount (top to bottom)
#1 South Carolina: 18.8 %
#2 North Carolina: 16.8 %
#3 New Mexico: 16.6 %
#4 West Virginia: 16 %
#5 Alabama: 14.7 %
#6 Wyoming: 14.5 %
#7 Kentucky: 13.9 %
#8 Mississippi: 13.8 %
#9 Arizona: 13.3 %
#10 Montana: 12.8 %
#11 Arkansas: 12.8 %
#12 South Dakota: 12.1 %
#13 Louisiana: 11.7 %
#14 Delaware: 11.7 %
#15 Georgia: 11 %
#16 Idaho: 10.9 %
#17 Florida: 10.4 %
#18 Oregon: 9.9 %
#19 Tennessee: 9.9 %
#20 Oklahoma: 9.5 %
#21 Maine: 8.9 %
#22 North Dakota: 8.6 %
#23 Texas: 8 %
#24 Nevada: 7.9 %
#25 Washington: 7.5 %
#26 Missouri: 7.3 %
#27 Vermont: 7.2 %
#28 Alaska: 6.9 %
#29 New Hampshire: 6.5 %
#30 Indiana: 6.5 %
#31 Virginia: 6.1 %
#32 Wisconsin: 6 %
#33 Michigan: 6 %
#34 Kansas: 5.2 %
#35 Colorado: 4.9 %
#36 Pennsylvania: 4.6 %
#37 Nebraska: 4.5 %
#38 California: 4.4 %
#39 Ohio: 4.4 %
#40 Iowa: 4.2 %
#41 Utah: 4.2 %
#42 Minnesota: 3.9 %
#43 Illinois: 2.8 %
#44 New York: 2.6 %
#45 Maryland: 2 %
#46 Connecticut: 1.2 %
#47 Massachusetts: 1 %
#48 Rhode Island: 1 %
#49 New Jersey: 0.9 %
#50 Hawaii: 0.2 %
#51 District of Columbia: 0 %
Weighted average: 8.0 %

Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Ill take a $20k to $50k house over a mobile home anyday. They are bigger, nicer, come with basements and built better. It could get warm up north thanks to global warming causing those heatwaves but Florida is always hot, up north at least its cool most of the time. Im fine with a window a/c unit, I only need to cool one room, my room. Cost of heating in winter? LOL please check the temperature in Pennsylvania its in the 40s and 50s, no heat needed! I dont mind needing heat for the occasional cold snap that brings temps into the teens. In fact I will try growing palm trees!
I can look online and see those $25-50K houses, most look like they need a lot of work, not my cup of tea. I do agree though, if I had a choice I would take the drafty house over the trailer.

Also don't think it will be warm all winter for good, of course there has been periods of above average temps throughout history. It has snowed in April in the past.

Cold spurts come and if you have natural gas or electric heat along with a gas water heater or electric water heater, the bill can be comparable to a electricity bill from FPL mid summer here.

How long are you going to wait, just move and get it over with. You'll find out soon enough how it is up there.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,240727,00.html Um, those buying this $150,000 mobile a year ago could become millionaires.
WOW!!! The thought of that brings tears to my eyes! It's like the guy said - they hit the lotto!!!!!!
Of course it sucks for them to lose that great community, but it's gonna happen anyway, so -
"Go on take the money & run Oooh Oooh Yeah!!!"

Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 AM

4 posts, read 33,407 times
There is a lot of misinformation that is running amuck about mobile homes.
The average home has been placed out of middle class price range so mobile homes are starting to fill the gap for affordable housing. Mobile will never increase in value, however the land may.
But they do not lose the value until 10 years of age, at that point they may take a downward spiral.
However the local market here has 20 yo mobile homes for 100,000 and since housing has become so over priced they are selling.
(these mobiles are on acreage and not in parks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida