Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,917,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
BTW, aren't you in favor of legalizing marijuana?
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
When did they confirm that Trayvon Martin was "on drugs?" Have I missed something or did the judge allow testimony that we haven't yet heard? Maybe that was today and I missed it.
Yes, the judge has decided to allow the medical examiner report to be used, which shows he had drugs in his system that night. The judge has been very controlling in what is allowed and what is not.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Eleven pages of many trying to convey their racism and prejudices in indirect ways......
Yes. Why are people so racist against a hispanic person?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I doubt any civil unrest would be widespread. I think only the shopkeepers of Sanford have to worry. Broken windows, looting, etc. Do insurance companies cover rioting?
How did Downtown Sanford become the potential epicenter of violence?

The incident took place 5.5 miles away from downtown Sanford. There's a mall, several strip centers, car dealers and other businesses within walking distance of where it happened with Sanford addresses.

I'm guessing because Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson Jr don't know their geography. I hope the downtown merchants sue their pants off for defamation, especially if unrest is riled up again.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,016,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
How is it hypocrisy if it is illegal here? I am all for legalization in limited fashion but at this point it is illegal and it has no bearing that other states have legalized it.
The hypocrisy is that you want it to reflect on Trayvon character, when 40% of high schools have tried or use marijuana, 65% of students in urban high schools,and 75% of students from sinlge parent homes which he was part of all 3 groups, so to try to make this anything other than a high school kid smoking weed is hypocritical.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,526,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The hypocrisy is that you want it to reflect on Trayvon character, when 40% of high schools have tried or use marijuana, 65% of students in urban high schools,and 75% of students from sinlge parent homes which he was part of all 3 groups, so to try to make this anything other than a high school kid smoking weed is hypocritical.
This is now where an old person chimes in and talks about the deterioration of America. Many are looking for less offensive ways to conclude TM was at fault.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I agree that the pot probably had nothing to do with anything and I think you are right to point out the fact that many kids have used pot without getting violent. I wonder why the same argument, though, doesn't apply to GZ? Many people carry guns and are no more likely to be violent as anyone else yet I see GZ continually being blamed for the incident solely because he had a gun, as though the beating GZ received never would have happened if he didn't have a gun. I can see why people might jump to that conclusion (people who don't care about truth, facts, testimony, etc. for example) but I find it ironic that some have no problem immediately blaming GZ because he is not black and he had a gun. Isn't it possible that what happened had nothing to do with race or the fact that GZ was a responsible concealed weapon holder?

The problem here is that you have too many people who want to make this about race and guns when it should be about evidence and law.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,995,507 times
Let's be honest, we all know the trace amounts of pot in Martin's system had nothing to do with anything and pot actually makes people less violent.

BUT... there are plenty of soccer moms out there that are against any drug in any form no matter what, pot included. Chances are, there are at least one or two of them in that all women jury that think this way and will think Martin went crazy due to the trace amounts.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
Was just thinking...GZ did say he thought the guy he spotted was behaving as though he was on drugs. Also, pot can make people paranoid and it definitely clouds judgment. It is too broad a generalization, though, to say it makes everyone calm. If the alleged levels were significant enough for the defense to make that argument, I can see why they'd use it. If they can't show the level was high enough, it might just be "doubt" material only.

If the prosecution had evidence of GZ's alleged prescription use and they could make use of it, I'm sure they would have brought it up but that's a slippery slope since they'd have no way of knowing if any of the jury was using those same drugs.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,995,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Also, pot can make people paranoid and it definitely clouds judgment. It is too broad a generalization, though, to say it makes everyone calm.
I don't know of anyone who has ever smoked to become paranoid... if this is the case it's usually due to being laced with other drugs which would show up in a toxicology report (unless enough time has passed for them to be purged from the system).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida