Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:13 AM
s01

29 posts, read 115,620 times

Advertisements

I agree with the original post-er. Insurance is a sad state of affairs. Politics is getting worse and the crime rate has grown in conjunction with population. I'm headed out ASAP (soon as the house is sold) headed to NH. No state tax, not as many ridiculous government fingers dipping into my rights as a citizen, and no capital gains tax! (Florida is something like 15-20%!)
Granted it may be colder- but there are trade offs and I am sure willing to roll with em. Florida has gotten so populated and crime-ridden it's sad. I love Florida, but I am not willing to tolerate the negatives surrounding me here. I also am not partial to having to speak spanish at the bank when the teller can't understand me! (GRR)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 AM

251 posts, read 886,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
For those that hate it in Florida so much, what is keeping you here? If I hated a location, I'd find a way to get out! I hope that those hating life here find a way to get out soon. Life is too short to be miserable!

For those of us the love it here, we can still enjoy the great things that brought us here in the first place.
You make i sound so easy, just leave your love ones, sell your house (which won't sell now because no one can afford to insure it or pay the property taxes!) I think you miss the point.....We don't HATE Florida, beaches are beautiful, nice winters, hot summers. What we HATE is what Florida has become, over taxed, over populated, increased crime, poor schools, outrageous homeowners insurance, and a flood of illegal imigrants. We hate the fact that 80 year old retirees are having to go back to work full-time to pay overinflated insurance premiums while the insurance companies boast about record profits! We hate seeing peoples homes in foreclosure, or them having to take out loans or charge theie credit cards to pay insurance and taxes! I personally have been fortunate enough to be able to pay for the increases and I don't live in my own little bubble, so I have a sincere compasssion for others who don't and truely do understand their frusterations with Florida. Yes life is to short to be miserable and so instead of sweeping these people out of Florida maybe we should be doing something to help them so they can stay, in a place where most of us really loved at one time!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Therefore is why I expect some large price drops in Florida. Still wouldnt be able to afford Florida but the richer people will be able to. Those who own the house free and clear are lucky, they can simply cancel their insurance! My own parents will if the insurance keeps going up!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
For those that hate it in Florida so much, what is keeping you here? If I hated a location, I'd find a way to get out! I hope that those hating life here find a way to get out soon. Life is too short to be miserable!

For those of us the love it here, we can still enjoy the great things that brought us here in the first place.
the fact is you now can not sell because the insurance companies are doing non renews, therefore the only choice is citizens insurance. was paying 1300
now my new rate will be 3400 or higher.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Check out the TN forum, there is lots of information there. East TN is from Knoxville east to VA/and NC boarders. The Tri-Cities area is Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol as the large cities with smaller ones in between.
My brother who lives in Fort Pierce Fl and all of his in-laws, are now looking to move out of Fl too.
even if i loved florda the insurance increase
is making me leave, don't have the money they want.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:45 AM

14 posts, read 127,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
even if i loved florda the insurance increase
is making me leave, don't have the money they want.
Same problem. I dont want to leave, but I want to own.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,472 times
We sold our house and our insurance company is great!
I just gave the info to the buyer of our home. It only went up about $350. after the hurricanes. We are the few lucky ones. We pay close to $1400 a year for our homeowners insurance. Our home is 2000 sq. ft. near the harbor.
We are in Punta Gorda which got the direct hit from Charley in 04.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
[quote=s01;148784]I'm headed out ASAP (soon as the house is sold) headed to NH. No state tax, not as many ridiculous government fingers dipping into my rights as a citizen, and no capital gains tax! (Florida is something like 15-20%!)
QUOTE]Article No: 502 (Revised: 12/11/2001 )

Regarding Florida having a capital gains tax...
From the Florida Department Of Revenue...

Question: Does Florida have a capital gains tax?
Answer: The Florida income tax code piggybacks the federal income tax code for treatment of capital gains of corporations. The State of Florida does not have an income tax for individuals and, therefore, no capital gains tax for individuals.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 PM

14 posts, read 127,929 times
AFAIK there are insurance companies out there willing to take the risk. It is a large gamble but could have tremendous profit. The companies that did cut and run still made a substantial profit in the long run.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATA View Post
My husband & I just rec'd notice of non-renewal of policy as well. We have to date paid less than $2,000.00 anually for our Homeowners. The quotes we now have rec'd are over $3,000.00 anually. We are seniors and on limited income_I might add_was fine til we rec'd this notice!! I have always believed when all else fails (don't wait til then) that a petion for our rights is definitely in order. We live approximately a mile away from a sound and our home has withstood storms & time with no claims. My husband has lived here fourty years 7 still no claims made. We were told because our home is a 1960's home is the reason. Our home is brick veneer, new roof, electrical heating and air. My Dad(deceased) was an architect & and developer & I assure you_he would rather live in my home than some I have seen built as of late. I was also told that I didn't want to hear what it would cost me to up-grade_if you will_to make this go away.
i know your pain, in pasco all you get now is citizens. 1200 to 3400.

i am retired and can't afford this either. but nobody is buying, and if they are
they can't get insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida