Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,006,437 times

Advertisements

Five years ago today, we left Ohio and started the drive down to Florida. We wanted to be closer to my parents, but like everyone, yes, we also wanted to leave the snow behind. My husband had spent 2 years looking for a job in this general area and finally had the perfect job in the perfect location. For many years my company had refused to let me work from home, but when faced with me quitting, it suddenly was no problem. We only had 1 month to pack up and move. The economy in Ohio had just tanked and it seemed unlikely that we'd ever sell our house, but we took the chance, knowing we might have to sell at a loss. We already had a realtor in FL and a list of prospective houses.

We arrived just before Tropical Storm Fay. I was sure we'd have a house by Christmas, but it took almost exactly a year, a couple of moves, and many difficulties before we closed on a house. Our house in OH sold in just one month and we broke even on it. What a relief.

So it's been 5 years in Florida and 4 years in our house. The kids are always busy with school, lots of activities and friends. We're very happy with our bright and open Florida house, evenings relaxing on the screened porch, the schools, the town, our church, our friends, running into people we know everywhere, and of course being close to my parents. I love how friendly everyone is and how drivers wave to walkers and bikers as they drive by in the neighborhoods. We love the locally owned restaurants, the many parks and ever expanding network of bike trails, the many festivals, the county fair, the community theater, the local musicians, "Old Florida", the beach, the sunshine, the lizards and frogs (not so much the spiders). We're not looking for shopping malls and nightlife. What's important to us is that our kids are having a great childhood here and spending time with their grandparents and we're all happy, healthy and absolutely loving it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM

443 posts, read 560,596 times
Neat.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM

720 posts, read 1,712,754 times
Wonderful to hear that your move south was a success for your family. Sounds like an ideal location.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 AM

103 posts, read 231,738 times
Great post! I grew up in Florida but was up north for a very long time. We just moved back so that we can spend time with parents and extended family and so that our kids can enjoy a more laid back lifestyle. What you describe is exactly what I love about Florida!! We've only been back a week but are loving every minute of it so far, and the kids have been in the pool every single day!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,829,162 times
Sounds like the move was a success.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,422,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Five years ago today, we left Ohio and started the drive down to Florida. We wanted to be closer to my parents, but like everyone, yes, we also wanted to leave the snow behind. My husband had spent 2 years looking for a job in this general area and finally had the perfect job in the perfect location. For many years my company had refused to let me work from home, but when faced with me quitting, it suddenly was no problem. We only had 1 month to pack up and move. The economy in Ohio had just tanked and it seemed unlikely that we'd ever sell our house, but we took the chance, knowing we might have to sell at a loss. We already had a realtor in FL and a list of prospective houses.

We arrived just before Tropical Storm Fay. I was sure we'd have a house by Christmas, but it took almost exactly a year, a couple of moves, and many difficulties before we closed on a house. Our house in OH sold in just one month and we broke even on it. What a relief.

So it's been 5 years in Florida and 4 years in our house. The kids are always busy with school, lots of activities and friends. We're very happy with our bright and open Florida house, evenings relaxing on the screened porch, the schools, the town, our church, our friends, running into people we know everywhere, and of course being close to my parents. I love how friendly everyone is and how drivers wave to walkers and bikers as they drive by in the neighborhoods. We love the locally owned restaurants, the many parks and ever expanding network of bike trails, the many festivals, the county fair, the community theater, the local musicians, "Old Florida", the beach, the sunshine, the lizards and frogs (not so much the spiders). We're not looking for shopping malls and nightlife. What's important to us is that our kids are having a great childhood here and spending time with their grandparents and we're all happy, healthy and absolutely loving it here.
I will also say you also moved to the right place so to speak...So many people clump Florida into all in one and well that isn't a fair assumption...its wonderful to hear that you and your family are so happy

We are hoping to return to Florida but not sure about going back to South Florida so we are researching other areas, since one of my kids is in college and my 2nd one will be headed to College in 4 years and then we can make the move

Great Post and thank you for sharing..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,525,231 times
I am glad that you are happy here. We have only been here about 4 months and I already feel some of the happiness that you have. Moving to Florida has made me happy!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM

652 posts, read 1,657,861 times
Good for you and your family. I've been here 5 years and love it too.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,190,596 times
Things could be better or worse by then, but watch the indicators.

[quote=Swimmom32;30936199....snip...
We are hoping to return to Florida but not sure about going back to South Florida so we are researching other areas, since one of my kids is in college and my 2nd one will be headed to College in 4 years and then we can make the move ...snip....
[/quote]

Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 PM

8 posts, read 15,324 times
Hi Sheepie,
My family and I have lived in Cleveland almost our entire lives. I grew up on the east side in Chagrin Falls and currently live in Parma Hts. We have 3 kids and looking to move to Palm Coast. We will miss our parents as they have been very involved in our kids lives, but I think my parents would get a 2nd home here if we moved. It seems like PC would be perfect for a family-we want a casual family friendly area with good schools and reasonable access to the beach. I have seen so many negative posts about PC and just wanted to get your opinion on this area. Also what will be the biggest adjustments coming from cleveland? My biggest concern is work. My wife has taught in Cleveland public schools for 14 years and would have to take at least a 20k paycut from what ive seen. I just closed down a business I owned for 11 years (martial arts school). I do have a bachelors from kent state and am willing to be flexible. Is the availability of decent jobs that poor in PC that you need to drive an hour unless you work in restaurants or retail?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida